Mystery trillum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #1

Name: Jude
Trailer: Trillum and Boler and U-Haul
ON
Mystery trillum

Looking for some info on a Trillium I scored from a field on Wolf Island, Kingston, Ontario. I have no idea on it at all but know for sure it is an all original trillum as has the front window cover with logo and a logo sticker on tounge too. I can't upload photos at the moment as internet bad. It appears to be a food service trailer. 13 feet, living area in front half and serving/sale area back half where back and driver side large windows flip up and held with 2 roof brackets. Also wrap around counter and large storage cupboards. Never seen anything like it. Look like it may have been custom ordered at factory. I am doing a full restoration BACK TO ORIGNAL, which will not take much inside, very good condition other than minor stuff and bad floor, but outside will need some serious love. Lol. Maybe I could email photo if you want to see and help. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20191214_094153.jpg  
Jude Lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Back end is the Sportsman model. There are threads on it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #3

ON
I am so thankful to hear from you. I can now direct my search.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If that was fixed up and remained a food trailer it would bring some high dollars in Seattle for event catering.

It is actually a treasure trove for a small side business including vintage trailer shows and rallies as well as vintage car shows and things such as craft fairs.

You might want to reconsider trying to return it to original as it has higher market value as a roving espresso and snack or roving cocktail bar for events such as wedding receptions and corporate parties. Even handy to rent out for work in films as a feature in a story line. It is not unusual for characters to go and grab a hot dog, coffee etc from a street vendor as part of the plot line. That trailer would go over well in California. Authentic vintage is big money there.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

ON
Hi. Thanks for responding. When I said back to original, I meant keeping as is. The interior is professionally done at the factory as a serve trailer. This is why the mystery....was it a special ordered unit or maybe a prototype by Trillum???? Hope to find out someday. In the meantime, I plan to keep as is and fix where needed as I love it and do have big plans for it as a foodie unit or market vendor unit.
I am from Ontario but currently visiting California....funny you mentioned the west. Ha ha.
Anyone know the year of this trailer or anything else?
I will try again to upload photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20191130_122542.jpg  
Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #6

ON
That side back window flips up too, same as back one. Both on back service area.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #7

Registry
Check the paper tag on the inside of the closet door, or check other doors if you don't have a closet. Trillium glued a data sheet on the inside of the closet door giving details including serial number and options. Door lock design is a clue to year.

What does the title say? Exact year has no bearing on anything, as the same parts were used across several years, and Trillium didn't make any of the parts.

Frame had a recall, so check how the body is attached and plan on some repairs.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #8

ON
Thanks Bill. Search entire unit....no data sheet. Will check frame with great detail. No ownership. Was deserted in a field. I do have a photo of handle which was locked and some guy tried to open and broke so I was able to go in the back window...ha ha.
Wilk try to attach handle photo, maybe you could date it roughly for me.
Attached Thumbnails
20180921_113648.jpg  
Old 01-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #9

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Would love to see interior pictures of this one....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 15
Ontario
Rusted joint

It appears that the joint between the top and bottom has rusted. My 4500 has the same problem.
I contacted a manager form the original trillium and he was able the answer the problem easily. At one point the production had run out of the stainless steel clips that where use to hold the top and bottom together during the process of assembly. For a short time they used regular steel clips on production, of various models, until they where able the get the stainless clips again. Only a few trilliums where built this way so that production wouldn’t be held up.
He said less than 15 trailers had these clips. It was a one time stop gap.
My 4500 was made aprox 1971. ( if I get a chance I’ll to look at the production sheet in the closets but it’s snowed in right now.

So you may have found one of a very few. A very rare duck if it was a custom build.
Mcoltas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #11

ON
Thank you. I guessed it was one of the first made and may even be a prototype. Yes, rusty studs. I will try to upload some photos now.
This shows the mini living area at front. I replaced the white counter only using all existing parts. Have taps.
The service area is at the back. You can see the original naptha stove, comes with the metal wind guard to use outside.
Sorry for all the tools....work on progress.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #12

ON
Can't upload. Will try later.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #13

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I think your wrong about the clips that are at the seams. I've owned and remodeled over 20 Trilliumn's and have 7 now that I'm working on and none had stainless steel clips, if he said there was any stainless steel clips used I would bet that those are the rare ones because I've never seen one with stainless steel clips.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #14

ON
Here is one photo
Attached Thumbnails
20200111_154654.jpg  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #15

ON
This is the back service area. Excuse the tools and mess. See the original portable 2 burner. I am missing the fuel holder but will find one at a yard sale.
Attached Thumbnails
20200111_155320.jpg   20200111_155303.jpg  

20200111_155148.jpg  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcoltas View Post
It appears that the joint between the top and bottom has rusted. My 4500 has the same problem.
I contacted a manager form the original trillium and he was able the answer the problem easily. At one point the production had run out of the stainless steel clips that where use to hold the top and bottom together during the process of assembly. For a short time they used regular steel clips on production, of various models, until they where able the get the stainless clips again. Only a few trilliums where built this way so that production wouldn’t be held up.
He said less than 15 trailers had these clips. It was a one time stop gap.
My 4500 was made aprox 1971.
So you may have found one of a very few. A very rare duck if it was a custom build.
Not true. Many years they used steel plates. Its an extremely common failure point. Guy was either clueless or being untruthful. Or maybe it was just memory fade. Read the various threads on belly band repair, there are a lot more than 15 of those threads.

My 1977 used steel plates. Read up on Randy Bishop or David Tilston belly band repairs, they have owned several Trilliums EACH, so right there we are at about 15, across many years and models.

There is also a Trillium group over on FB. There you will find dozens of threads on belly band failures.

Anyone buying a vintage Trillium should be prepared to do the belly band repair, pull the windows, replace rotten wood and reinstall, avoid floor wood rot, replace body to frame bolts, and inspect frame carefully for cracks.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #17

ON
Thanks for your input. Do you have any I do on my trailer beside that? It is very unusual.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #18

Registry
All windows, hatches, and outside lights should be removed, cleaned up and resealed with butyl tape. Plan on replacing some hatches as the plastic deteriorates. Myself, when I removed the side market lights, it was a GREAT time to upgrade to LED. You can get all four marker lights on Ebay for under $15.

I would not trust any existing plumbing. Replace supply lines with PEX.

Check carefully for floor damage (soft spots).

If it has a power center, be prepared to replace. These old power centers were known battery boilers.

Door hinge mounts: particularly on the coach side of the hinge, they are screwed into wood blocks that are hidden under the fiberglass. Very common for these blocks to rot.

Axle, if it is original, is way overdue for replacement. Multiple threads on that topic. Torsion axles are rated for about a 15 year life. They use a rubber core, not designed to last 40 years.

While the list sounds like a lot, given it is over 40 years old, its really not that bad. I have temporarily moved to other projects on my list, I am about half way done with my Trillium.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #19

Name: MJ
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Back end is the Sportsman model. There are threads on it.
In a Sportsman model rebuild thread elsewhere on the site, member “ryan parsons”, mentioned a conversation he had in 2013, with Tom at Trillium USA. If memory serves me, Ryan quoted Tom as saying they built a half dozen or so of that model for a tobacco company, back in the 70’s. Anyone else have thoughts or memories?

Would love to hear additional, or complimentary, info on the history of the model...or variations of it. Poked around on the “interwebs” and this site, but did not locate much.

If anyone knows of someone with historical knowledge, perhaps share this thread with him or her. ( TomA ? ) I admit to asking for selfish reasons, I’d like to know more about this trailer.

Thank you
MJ
gtblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #20

ON
Mystery

Thank you....I appreciate the info. That would have been very cool for this unit to have been commissioned by a tobacco company, although smoking is bad it is still part of a huge past/old time industry that had lots of influence.

Tags
foodie trailer, identify this, rare maybe, what year