Need bracket for 4" rear bumper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Hi,
I have a Bigfoot 17 and want to move the rear spare tire over to one side and mount an aluminum front drop panel diamond plate storage box onto that 4" square bumper.
I realize that putting weight on the rear is not a good idea, but I am somewhat tongue heavy and want a small storage box on the rear.
My box is 24"W x 20"H and 18" front to back with the front door swinging down forward.
I want to mount plates on that 4 1/4" square rear bumper.
Who, where can I get mounting plates with the square u-bolts to mount the box?
I've googled and searched these forums and haven't been successful. Closest, and perhaps able to be modified, are the rear spare tire mounts, but simpler mounts would be better!
I'm in Ontario, so a CDN source is best, but I can arrange for USA also.
Thanks for any help.
Mike
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Do you have a company's that specializes in bolts and nuts ?

The reason I ask is the one I use to go to would make up U bolts to your spec.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
McMaster-Carr is the first place I think of.

Here's their page on square U-bolts:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#square-u-bolts/=227jly
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
You might consider adding a small reciever hitch,I plan on doing this to my 13' casita to pull my jonboat.. but you could also attach a rack..... this way it could be removed or used for towing a lite boat etc... they have racks that are already to go that mount on reciever hitches also..for say an ice chest or box...check a motorcycle shop for the racks.. or a truck accessories place...
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Quote:
You might consider adding a small reciever hitch,I plan on doing this to my 13' casita to pull my jonboat.. but you could also attach a rack..... this way it could be removed or used for towing a lite boat etc... they have racks that are already to go that mount on reciever hitches also..for say an ice chest or box...check a motorcycle shop for the racks.. or a truck accessories place...
Thanks for the advice!
I have decided to mount my box using 3/8 x 6" bolts. I have cut a sheet of 1/2" plywood for the inside of the box and will use 4 fender washers and bolts to fasten it down to 2 straps of 1/4" thick aluminum under the bumper. Depending on how it is supported, I may bring the straps forward and fasten them to the front of the box, adding more support to the unit!
A receiver hitch on the rear, while a good idea for some purposes, would be too excessive for me, so I'll pass on that idea.
That diamond plate box should look and work well there. I've previously posted a picture of the box - neat item!
Mike
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote