Need Help Finding a Microwave - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Hanging Microwave

Does anyone know where to get a microwave that would hang from the upper cabinet in my Casita where the range hood was? I took out the propane stove for safety because of the kids and don't need the range hood. But I do need a microwave and can only find one, very expensive one that would fit in the cabinet above my fridge without cutting out fiberglass.

I want to maintain counter top space so I really want a tiny microwave to hang where the hood was - plus electric and ventilation is already there.

Best if it is very small, no more than 22 wide and 19 deep. But mostly, I don't want it very "tall" because I want to use as much as possible of the counter space underneath it - less than 8 inches would be ideal.

All I want to do is make popcorn on rainy nights and heat hot pockets on rainy mornings.

Thanks, Indiana Lynn
Old 03-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Do an keyword search in your internet browser using the keywords as follows.....microwave rv over range

Dometic Over-Range Sensor Microwave with Black Trim Kit - Dometic DOTR16B - Microwaves - Camping World
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #3

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I did not try that string of keywords. Thanks! I will check out your link,
Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post
Does anyone know where to get a microwave that would hang from the upper cabinet in my Casita where the range hood was? I took out the propane stove for safety because of the kids and don't need the range hood. But I do need a microwave and can only find one, very expensive one that would fit in the cabinet above my fridge without cutting out fiberglass.
I want to maintain counter top space so I really want a tiny microwave to hang where the hood was - plus electric and ventilation is already there.
Best if it is very small, no more than 22 wide and 19 deep. But mostly, I don't want it very "tall" because I want to use as much as possible of the counter space underneath it - less than 8 inches would be ideal.
All I want to do is make popcorn on rainy nights and heat hot pockets on rainy mornings. Thanks, Indiana Lynn
Lynn, didn't your Casita come with a space in the cabinet for a MW? I don't really see a way to hang a MV easily that would stand up to travel without being in a cabinet. For what you're saying you want to use it for, there are some very small MWs out there that you could store under a bed or maybe in the tug, try Walmart. You may be better off though using a hot plate for heating PCs and doing the popcorn the old way in a bit of oil.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Pilot truck stops or something similar have small microwaves for truck cabs give them a try.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #6

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I agree that you would need some serious hardware to hang something as heavy as a microwave. The small, cheap 700W ones from Walmart fit well in the cabinet above the fridge, with some space left for storage.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Microwave in RV

We have a Scamp 16. I installed a microwave that hangs under a galley cabinet. the microwave wasn't intended to be mounted that way.
I went to Walmart and hefted the microwaves in the box. Quite a difference and the lightest turned out to be the cheapest and small. Still, it is fine for microwave dinners, hot beverages, nuking potatoes and heating left-overs. I did this job about 3 - 4 years ago and have pulled the trailer close to 20,000 miles, sharp winding roads in the rockies, many national park roads and washboard freeways in Indiana.
The key to hanging a lite microwave is to remove the metal bonnet and fabricate a reinforcement. I took 2 lengths of 1" metal flat stock, positioned it under the bonnet and through bolted it to the cover. The screws were about #10 x 1" and I used 4 to a side or length of flatstock. Pay attention as to where the heads will live with the bonnet installed. They don't have to be perfectly spaced. Put a locknut or lock washer and nut on the outside of the bonnet. Reinstall the bonnet. Add a few screws to strengthen the bonnet - microwave connection. Make a template out of cardboard that is the size of your microwave top and press to indicate the bolt studs. Make holes, position the template and mark. Drill the holes, mount the microwave and use fender washers to help carry the wight.
It's been 3 - 4 years but I think the microwave weighs between 20 - 30 lbs and cost about $55.
Worked for me and might be a cheaper way for you.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I recommend doing research & exercising caution when modifying the housing of a microwave oven. The housing likely plays an important role in containing microwave radiation. It could be a big deal.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:33 AM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Microwave enclosure

Find a small conventional, microwave go to a sheet metal shop and have them make a box without a front or back to fit the MW, fasten the top of the box to the overhead cabinet and slide the MW in, put longer screws through the box into the MW replacing the screws attaching the feet of the MW.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I was told my my local and trusted trailer dealer that an RV microwave is built special for RV, not only in weight but inner components are made to withstand the vibrations. Also the wiring in trailer will only support a lower wattage microwave no more then 1000 Watt
I had to replace mine in my larger trailer and they had a build in, microwave/convection oven that was 30" wide and went over the stove and with all the hardware only weighed like 35 Lbs.
There is no way I could install one in my Boler, even a small one hanging from the cabinets would big trouble.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave