Need help with AC idea. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Need help with AC idea.

The 77S13 was finally near completion. I do know that it needs an AC.
But first...it gets a new hitch and crank jack because the old hitch jumped off the ball and the car trailer hitch punched a hole in the fiberglass beside the hitch yoke. It knocked the new front mini dinette off the base. So, I do have a bit of work to do. (All this excitment on my first trip out alone ).
I have seen some pictures of mods with the AC unit centered over the hitch yoke. Am hoping that someone can give me tips. This brings up the thought that with the front AC I need to cover it to keep from sucking in the great outdoors while traveling, and would prefer that it be a solid box. Think I will use the piece cut out from the AC hole to patch the punched out hole since I need to learn how to repair fiberglass.
If you have any suggestions or tips, please help.
Faith
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My Compact Jr has an AC in the front window. When towing I cover it with a T-shaped piece of white vinyl cloth. The top of the T covers the top of the AC and flaps down over each side. The rest of the T covers the front of the AC. Where the front piece laps over the sides, I've sewn velcro fastners. Works great, no leaks.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
I am actually considering cutting a hole below the belly band, above the hitch yoke. I know that I have to brace/frame the ac install so that the ac is secure. I have no intention of sticking it out the window. I know that some have done this and made or bought a solid cover to protect the whole. We did remove all the propane in the rehab, so do not need the space for the propand tank.
Any other suggestions for a solid ac cover?
Faith
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #4

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Someone on this forum uses a cooler that has been cut to cover the AC.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT
My tear has an AC mounted on the front. We built a deck to help support it. I put it on the trailer because I didn't want the stress on the walls traveling down the roads. (just make sure you think about water drainage from a running AC when you install)

Since the AC is metal,I bought a package of the magnetic vent covers and a roll of "fancy" duck tape. Put the covers on the AC and duct taped them into a single "piece". Goes on and off easily, stays in place, even going down the interstate, works like a charm.

The only down side to my solution is my brother-in-law framed the AC both in and out for stability and the outer framing goes about 1/4 inch over the side "grill". In a hard, blowing rain a little water seeps in. I'm going to purchase some plexi-glass and make a box that can be screw mounted to the framing to solve this issue... One of my friends with a tear built a box out of wood that screw mounts to his AC framing, so I'm stealing his idea.
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
That would be us. When we had our Burro, we cut through the fiberglass out the back and braced it to the bumper. We cut the side out of a cooler and used bungie cord to hold the cooler in place as we traveled. When we camped, we took off the cooler, so the air conditioner would function correctly. It looked realistic enough for someone at a campground ask for a beer from the cooler.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Burro 1.jpg   Burro 3.jpg  

CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning