Need rack advice for two long recumbent bikes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft ('Lillypod')
Need rack advice for two long recumbent bikes

We have a Ford Escape (3,500lb factory tow package), two TourEasy recumbent bikes (68" wheelbase), and wonder if anyone has found a good solution to this dilemma. I don't want to put the bikes on the roof of the car or the back of the trailer, and they won't fit inside either the car or the camper. I own a Hollywood rack that works GREAT on the car. I understand that an extender for the draw bar would add A LOT of tongue weight. Anyone face this issue?
Aaron Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cohen View Post
We have a Ford Escape (3,500lb factory tow package), two TourEasy recumbent bikes (68" wheelbase), and wonder if anyone has found a good solution to this dilemma. I don't want to put the bikes on the roof of the car or the back of the trailer, and they won't fit inside either the car or the camper. I own a Hollywood rack that works GREAT on the car. I understand that an extender for the draw bar would add A LOT of tongue weight. Anyone face this issue?
Ican't post a picture right now because I'm not home but I have a tongue mount bike rack which works very well. If you search my posts you will find it. Or maybe someone here can find it.... I'll take a look.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've given a lot of consideration to installing a front hitch on my TV. I would put a bike rack there, and it would also come in handy for backing into my really tight storage area.

For my TV (F150), front receiver hitches are readily available.

Yes, there are double receiver hitch adapters, will likely put you way over on tongue weight.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
Aaron,

Mounting the 'Bents anywhere near the tongue may prevent you from opening the hatch on the escape. I think the best spot for carrying them would be on a rear receiver rack on the trailer. It would add close to 90 pounds to the rear of the trailer, but maintain access to the TV. These days you can get 'hanging' type racks that allow you the remove both wheels (nifty idler systems to carry the chain on the rear dropout) that shortens them a good bit. A friend carries my V3 and his Tour Easy this way on the back of a Civic. My new-to-me Scamp 16 has a rear receiver and hitch rack, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

Also, Aaron, I may steal your trailer name, if that would be cool with you. I live on Lily street, and my house is called Lilypad. Lilypod would be the perfect addition.
ThomasBalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Mounting a rack and two bikes on the rear of our Scamp 16 was a sway disaster. I think you might get away with it on a Casita because of the heavier tongue weight. I’ve seen Casita 17s that didn’t seem to have a problem with rear mounted bikes.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #6

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
Doug,

I've got the heavier battery and an extra propane tank on the front for a bit more heft.
Won't sway if you carry cargo far enough forward in the trailer to maintain proper tongue weight ratio.
ThomasBalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #7

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Thomas,

Since the sway episode, which occurred shortly after we got our Scamp, I have added a 25 pound generator rack and 75 pound generator on the tongue. I also added an anti-sway bar. I’ve been thinking about trying the bikes on the back of the trailer again but haven’t done so yet.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
advice and links to products on this web page about mounting bikes over the propane tank at the front of a travel trailer.

https://recrostorage.com/travel-trai...ke-rack-guide/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Need rack advice for two long recumbent bikes

Probably not the answer you want, but I’d get a tow vehicle where you can carry them inside- pickup with a cap, van, or larger SUV.

Extenders that move the ball further back from the bumper are bad for stability (sway), and they increase the lever effect of tongue weight on the rear suspension. Many have a caveat that they reduce the tongue weight rating by 50%, and you’re already close. No go.

Bikes on the back of a small trailer, even if offset by weight forward, make for a trailer that handles poorly. Been there, done that, no more. Floyd’s tongue rack system is much better than the back, but you’re up against tongue weight and clearance. Bikes carried outside are also subject to UV, weather, road rash, and theft.

No simple answers for bikes, I’m afraid, and your situation is further complicated by the type of bike.

Inside the trailer has been the solution for our conventional bikes since giving up the rear rack, but it means the trailer is unusable until we unload the bikes. Inside the tug is ideal because you can use the trailer without unloading and unhitch and take the bikes to a riding destination. Enclosed storage is kind to valuable equipment.

Minivan with seats folded or removed?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote