Need Scamp axle- Dexter part #?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Name: chad
Trailer: 1975 Scamp- Super Cozy Ambulatory Mega Party, 1980 Boler B1500 15'
Alaska
Registry
Need Scamp axle- Dexter part #??

I'm curious if anyone has a part # for the direct replacement for the Dexter Torflex for my 75 Scamp. Don't want to change to trailing arm or any modifications. Just looking for the direct weld on replacement. I found their Alaska distributor and I'd really like to just give them the part # so it doesn't get screwed up by them or me.

PS: i read many of the axle threads already and didn't see one that didn't involve additional mods.
Thanks!
AKSCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Chad, there will not be a part number. There will be specs that the axle is built to. If their distributor in Alaska also does the work, let them do the measurements. If not get them to suggest someone and let whoever that is take the responsibility.

The only change I would strongly suggest is get the bolt on brackets or (AP kit). It will raise you the thickness of the metal bracket and mean that if anyone ever has to change the axle again it will be a simple process that does not involve cutting or welding.

You may want to change what the axle is rubbered to, some of the early ones were built for 1200 lbs, we know the trailers come in higher than that. See the trailer weights in the real world thread.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Chad
Scamp stocks the axels for the older 13's. The replacement they put on my older S-13 had 4x4 hubs, it has brake flanges but no brakes, 22 deg down angle arms and EZ lube hubs. The Scamp parts website gives the frame and wheel hub face spacing info for the 3.5K axle but not for the 13 scamp, but it should be the same. Give Scamp a call or send them an E-mail and ask for the specs.
The Dexter website has an order worksheet just fill in the blanks and verify info. with your installer. Make sure Dexter knows the axel is being mounted backwards, especially if you are adding brakes so they can be reversed.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Name: chad
Trailer: 1975 Scamp- Super Cozy Ambulatory Mega Party, 1980 Boler B1500 15'
Alaska
Registry
Kent at Scamp was nice enough to email me this as a part #

9TF22 5 on 4.5, idler with break flange, high pro bracket, easy lube, 63x49 ¾ 22.5 down, old style

Given how worn out and about 10deg up my current axle is, 22.5 down seems like a dramatic change. But, does anyone notice anything out of the ordinary on that part#? Only change I want to make is that I want to use my stock 4 bolt wheels. What is that bolt pattern again?

I got a quote of $289 from the local Dexter dealer. That seems pretty reasonable.
AKSCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd order brakes, too. They don't add much cost and add a lot of utility.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSCAMP View Post
from the local Dexter dealer
If you have a local Dexter dealer, bring your trailer over and let them check the #'s and tell you the significance. Or, look up the specs on the Dexter site and learn a bit about your axle.

Order the bolt on kit for what it costs it is a good insurance policy.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
4 on 4, or 4X4 is the bolt pattern. When removing the old axel, cut off the old swing arms first. This makes it easier to to seperate the old axel from the frame. The price is very reasonable but he may not have added freight yet.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp