Need Specs for Dexter #9 Axle for 1972 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #1

Name: R
Trailer: Boler
California
Need Specs for Dexter #9 Axle for 1972 Boler

We recently purchased a 1972 Boler off Craigslist and are attempting our first fiberglass RV renovation. We managed to remove the shell from the trailer yesterday and now want to send the trailer frame off for welding/repair and a new axle with brakes. I see lots of forums on here that mention the Dexter #9 TorFlex Axle with 7" brakes, but can someone give me the exact specifications for what we need to order? Also, for this type of axle, does the frame need to be modified to lift it 2-3" to allow for the new trailing arm axle? Lastly, can you still use 4 bolt wheels with this or do you have to convert to 5? I'd like to keep the original baby moon hubcap look.

We're hoping to order the axle online to save some money and have it installed professionally. Any info helps!
Attached Thumbnails
1972 Boler pic2.jpg   Boler_frame removed_1_14_15.jpeg  

72Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

Name: Dina
Trailer: 1974 boler
British Columbia
Axle

Wow...this is exactly what I want to know. Did you ever get an answer? I am currently debating whether I need to replace my 1974 boler axle as it is difficult to tell. My dad has just welded a new frame. I really want to keep my baby moons too.
Dinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Dexter Axle

Dexter Axle is located in Monticello, Georgia where they manufacture them. They may have other locations, but I am sure you can Google their phone. I am quite sure the staff there would be very helpful.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The axle on your Boler is definitely shot, I would guess in its current worn state it is sitting at about a 22 deg up angle which would result in only 6" of ground clearance. Replacing it with a new axle with the original 10 deg up angle you would have over 8" clearance when the trailer is unloaded and would average out at about 7" clearance when loaded.

I would order a 2200 lb axle with the brakes

Another option would be to use the Flexi Ride axle which had adjustable suspension arms which will allow you to change ride height. The arms on these are 1.5" shorter than the Dexter so the axle needs to be relocated to keep the axle centered in the wheel openings
http://www.proud-canadian.com/13-bol...1/boler-axles/

Brake hubs are only available with 5x4.5 bolt pattern which means you will have to replace the wheels also
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A local Dexter dealer who orders axles by the truckload and gets a very good freight rate might offer a better price than an online seller. If you let the repair shop order the axle and they order the wrong size it's the shops mistake and they are stuck with the wrong size, not you. Most Dexter dealers stock heavily and sell to repair shops. The axle you need might be in stock locally. I personally would look for a trailer shop that builds and repairs utility trailers . They do lots of welding and are a better choice than an RV dealer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The Dexter web site lists lots of dealers in California. Six Robblees is one of them. I've used Six Robblees locally and they were helpful. They could also refer you to a shop to do the work,
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
My Dester Order Form

72Boler,

Here is what I ordered:
Axle Capacity: 2200#
Hub Face: 63"
Outside Frame: 48"
Start Angle Degree: 0
Hub: Idler with brake plate
Bolt Circle: 5-4.5"
Lubrication: E-Z Lube
Bracket Profile: High
Bracket Orientation: Standard
Side Mount Hanger Kit: Yes

This is for a 1976 13' Scamp. I ordered the 0 degree angle because I wanted a little more clearance and also ordered with electric brakes. The total is $441 + sales tax and I will pick up at a local Dexter dealer so no freight. I already had the 5-4.5" wheels, which makes me think that the axle was replaced since they came with 4 lug wheels.
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

British Columbia
Axle

Bob...you are the man!!! This is exactly what I wanted to know and even the price is similar to what I was quoted in Vancouver (without brakes). I am going to get the brake flanges and get electric brakes later. I am assuming you are also sticking with the leading arm? I think I have read every post about this and there is no consensus...everyone has a different opinion. I remain confused as to what 5 bolt on 4.5 hub actually means...I know what 5 bolt is but what is the 4.5 referring to? Thanks for your valuable input.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
4.5 refers to the measurment between the wheel studs 4 1/2"

There are many wheel bolt patterns meaning you have to make sure the wheel has the same patters as the hub.

Bob's set-up above with "0" degree start angle and high profile mounts would give about 9.15” ±1.15” ground clearance to the floor of the kitchen (based on weigt of trailer)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #10

British Columbia
5 on 4.5

thanks Ian...you are the new man! That drawing is super clear. I think I read somewhere that the original boler specs had about 10" of clearance? So Bob looks right on. I also read that dexter recommends 10 degrees up for optimal performance? I gotta stop reading so much! This is the first forum I have ever been on...like ever.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Dinah,

I am having the axle installed as trailing vs. leading. This means that it will be installed under the dance floor.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Dinab,

If you are going to order an axle yourself, visit the Dexter web site first to become very familiar with all the terms and measurements involved. There are some differences from Bob's specs. Since you are staying with the leading arms, the Bracket Orientaion will be “Reverse Orientation” not “Standard Orientation”, as he has. Also, Dexter needs “Outside Bracket Measurement”, not outside frame measurement. Scamp uses an “Outside Bracket Measurement of 49.5 inches. You may want to also call Scamp to see if they have a recommendation for Bolers.

Be very careful in getting the correct measurements that Dexter uses or you could end up with a useless axle.

Also, be sure to mark the end of the brackets before removing the old axle so you have a reference point for squaring the new axle.

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinab View Post
thanks Ian...you are the new man! That drawing is super clear. I think I read somewhere that the original boler specs had about 10" of clearance? So Bob looks right on. I also read that dexter recommends 10 degrees up for optimal performance? I gotta stop reading so much! This is the first forum I have ever been on...like ever.
10 deg down is optimal for a trailing arm configuration whereas 10 up is optimal for a leading arm configuration. The original was 10 up with low or standard profile brackets for a ground clearance of about 8".
Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

British Columbia
Thanks

thanks guys...that was really helpful. I also spoke with Paul Neumister who gets these custom ordered to sell. He was really great to talk to and his prices are reasonable...unfortunately shipping to BC is crazy expensive. The guy at Pacific Axle in Langley is also great. Their form is very specific for measurements and he even asked for photos to help me get it right. Fortunately, my Dad is the "brains" of this axle operation.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #15

Name: Jonny
Trailer: 74 Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinab View Post
thanks guys...that was really helpful. I also spoke with Paul Neumister who gets these custom ordered to sell. He was really great to talk to and his prices are reasonable...unfortunately shipping to BC is crazy expensive. The guy at Pacific Axle in Langley is also great. Their form is very specific for measurements and he even asked for photos to help me get it right. Fortunately, my Dad is the "brains" of this axle operation.
Hey, resurrecting an old thread but wondering if you happen to have a copy of the form you gave to Pacific Axle? I am ordering an axle from them for my '74 13' Boler and would love to compare the measurements. Thanks
Jonny V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #16

Name: Josh
Trailer: 74, 13' Boler
Alberta
I too would love information and reference material on the Axle arrangement, I am specifically looking for ways to get more ground clearance out of our 75, 13' Boler.

Being able to camp at Waiparous and Mclean creek would ad some cool/ free boondocking options around Calgary, but I just don't think we would make it in with our current set up. Plus our axle needs replacing anyway.
Josh Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #17

Name: Jonny
Trailer: 74 Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
I too would love information and reference material on the Axle arrangement, I am specifically looking for ways to get more ground clearance out of our 75, 13' Boler.
Here's a bit of info. I replaced mine with a Flexiride and very happy with it.

New Axle Specs - Pacific Axle - 2000 lb Flexiride, Adjustable axle
Flexiride Max angles - 22.5 deg up or 45 deg down. They start at 10 deg up.
Around $550 for the axle. I had a local machine shop install it as there was a bit of welding required for the new mounting plates.

Feel free to DM me if you want info or pics or have more questions.
Jonny V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #18

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
My brother in law had a new axle made for their Boler, by Standens in Calgary Alberta. He said that Standens made the original axle. He pulled the Boler into their lot they took the old one out put a new one in. It was made with brakes. He and sister live in Canmore Alberta. I am going to take my Bigfoot to the Standens co. to see if they can replace my axle. I have put in 5 cm lift blocks over my axle; but it is still breaking down. It must be replaced someday. Mine is a Dexter but a replacement does not exist. it was made for an odd frame configuration.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #19

Name: Josh
Trailer: 74, 13' Boler
Alberta
That's great advice, thanks guys. Will be talking to them right away and see what's involved in the Flexiride install. I'm hoping to get a full beam made but if that will take too long I'll have to get the half axles and either pay them or DIY the cross member and mounts.
Josh Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #20

Name: Cesar
Trailer: Boler American
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
That's great advice, thanks guys. Will be talking to them right away and see what's involved in the Flexiride install. I'm hoping to get a full beam made but if that will take too long I'll have to get the half axles and either pay them or DIY the cross member and mounts.
Where are you located Josh? I went through this about a year ago and i think the dexter is the best solution for the money.
Cesar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, boler