Never buy an accessory bigger than the trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #21

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Acting on these recommendations, I ventured into the local WalMart and bought one too. After a long weekend in and around Rocky Mountain National Park, I returned it for a refund.

Part of the problem was that I didn't buy the model mentioned here, but another Ozark Trails screen house of the same size that was featured for $35. It had a double hipped roof, not the single arch, and because the roof was tan instead of black, it didn't cut provide very deep shade. It would have been a great light-softening screen for outdoor portrait photography, though.

The screen room setup wasn't so hard, but then a gust brought the thing down, hitting my daughter on the head with a metal pole. This square, florless room doesn't have the additional structure provided by a tent floor, so it only stands as well as it's pitched. IMHO, for a sturdy pitch with any of these large rooms, you need to double-stake the corners. Instead of running a single guy line to a stake at each corner, use two lines at each corner, running at tangents to the walls. That secures the structure from twisting in the wind.

I tried the room beside my 16' Scamp, but it was a foot too short for the trailer door to open into the room door. The room & trailer were too wide for the standard gravel parking/camping space I was parked in. Using the screen room's other door meant walking on wildflowers, definitely not low-impact camping. As my 9-year-old said, after her head stopped hurting, "It would be better if there were doors on the ends."

It would be better, too, if it had opaque walls for privacy. So I've decided to go back to using a large dome tent, 10 ft diameter and 7 feet tall, for these duties.If I camped in buggier climes, though, I might feel differently.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #22

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Gina,
Quick question: It looks like it zips on both of the long sides. Is that right?
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Sandra,

Yes, it does.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Gina,
Had to make a trip to WalMart (picked up a nail in my tire ) so while I waited, I found the screen room and bought it. I love it! It was easy to assemble (love the color-coding) and it's so compact to store. We have a screen room in the back yard that we've been taking with us, but it's pretty heavy and takes up more room. So now we can leave the expensive, heavy-duty one at home and take the new one when we camp. Thanks for telling us about it! It's perfect!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
i was just ready to run out and buy one, and then it dawned on me, that I can not put over a 16' Casita. I'd need a 13' camper to do Gina's set up, right????

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #26

Registry
Karalyn,

John reports above that it did not work well with his 16, but he also bought a different model than suggested.

I am not sure if a 16 is taller than a 13, so opening the trailer door into it would be a concern.

Mine sort of "just fits" but it wasn't planned. I set it up without the intention of having it right next to the trailer, but it happen to work out that way after some trial and error.

Sometimes, the best accidents happen..
Old 06-21-2006, 06:04 PM   #27

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I bought one of those screen rooms today. I have a use for it while I'm not camping.... screen room for easy-set swim pool. My 12 foot pool fits nicely under it and it will keep bugs and leaves out of the pool besides keeping me from getting sunburn while enjoying the pool in hot weather.
Attached Thumbnails
pool_003.jpg  
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #28

Trailer: Perris Pacer 1979
[quote]

WOW!!! Gina D... I think that's great, and only have one question? When it is situated up against the door of the trailer (so you go directly from the trailer into the "screened in" area), do you have to move the outside "screened in" area in order to get completely?
Either way, I think it's worth the investment. Chari
Chari Benckendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #29

Registry
Mike, thats a great use for it. And stretches the $$$ value even more.

Chari, no you don't have to move the room LOL!

I leave the side against the trailer unzipped and the door just pushes the "flaps" out of the way. I lift the flap closest to the door and enter and exit there, by the front of the trailer. You could go straight out and unzip the other side, but that to much of a bother.