New 1978 Beachcomber - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #1

Trailer: Beachcomber B15
We bought a 1978 Beachcomber in Manitoba last summer. The price was good ($1150), but when we first saw it, we knew it would need a loving, "ground up" reno. The floor was soft under multiple layers of vinyl, the dark wood paneling was water stained and rotten, and it generally stunk of mildew.

So far, we've gutted it, removed all the cabinets, the rotted particle board floor (vacuumed out in a crumbled mess of disintegrated P, fixed fiberglass damage, scraped, primed, painted, and rebuilt into a recognizable trailer. It has 3 brand new windows, a new roof vent, new tires & wheels, painted frame, and we're just getting started.

I don't know if we'll actually get out camping this summer, but I'm having more fun than camping any day!!

If anyone is interested in hard to find hardware for these trailers, I just found a large box of the exact hinges originally used on this trailer entry door at the Canada One RV center in Winnipeg in a clearance bin. I never thought I'd find a match, but these are perfect.

Hope you like the photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	13353

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	13354

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	13355

Name:	IMG_1097.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	13356

Name:	IMG_1106.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	13357

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	13358
Wil Bartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

[quote]Hope you like the photos

Attachment 13357

Yes! Great photos.

I had heard of a frame off restoration, But you are the 1st to post photos of separating the 2 halves of the shell.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Yes! Great photos.

I had heard of a frame off restoration, But you are the 1st to post photos of separating the 2 halves of the shell.

As you could see in one of the photos, the two halves were joined by a wood strip that had rotted away in many places. I replaced that with a new composite material (some sort of sawdust and plastic resin material) designed for house trim, so it should never rot again. I then filled any gaps around this material with expanding spray in foam to ensure that it never leaks again.

I'll add some more up to date photos over the next few days. I've actually progressed a bit since these were shot.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Beachcomber 15 ft and 1977 Airstream Tradewind 25 ft
You have taken on a seriously big project! It should be nice when done. I'll follow your work with interest!

Kevin
Kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #5

If anyone is interested, here are the photos of the entry door hinges I found. They are an exact match for the original hinges from my 1978 Beachcomber. I don't know what other trailers they might fit. The RV dealer I bought them from had about 30 or 40 pairs of these in a clearance box. I paid a buck a pair.

As you can see from the photo, they are tapered to fit the angles of the upper and lower angles of the trailer shell halves.

In any case, I'm not in the business of selling these, but if anyone needs these particular ones, I can point you in the right direction or try to help arrange to get them to you. Just send me a private email

Best of luck in your restorations

Name:	IMG_3000.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	13376

Name:	IMG_3001.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	13377

Name:	IMG_3002.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	13378
Old 06-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Hi!

We are following your restoration with great interest! We too just bought a 75 beachcomber! It needs work and we really have no experience with this kind of thing. We'd like to start with the outside. What did you do to repair the fiberglass and then how did you go about prepping it for painting and what type of paint? Any advice would be awesome! Our windows also are going to need to be replaced at some point as they are cracked and pretty ugly...did you do your own?

Thanks!!
Jason
J Joelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi!

We are following your restoration with great interest! We too just bought a 75 beachcomber! It needs work and we really have no experience with this kind of thing. We'd like to start with the outside. What did you do to repair the fiberglass and then how did you go about prepping it for painting and what type of paint? Any advice would be awesome! Our windows also are going to need to be replaced at some point as they are cracked and pretty ugly...did you do your own?

Thanks!!
Jason
Good to hear from you.
We started by scraping all the old decals off, removing windows and trim, and sanding the fiberglass with a random orbit sander (80 grit, then 120, 180 etc). We had some cracks in the roof that someone previous had attempted to repair by spreading some sort of paintable rubber over the top. It too had to all be scraped off. Then we ground away the damaged area and laid in new fiberglass mat and resin from both inside and outside.

In our trailer, we decided that we didn't need the old furnace, as we camp in summer, mostly in serviced campgrounds and figured we could use the space better for storage and get a little ceramic heater if we really needed it. Consequently, we fiberglassed in the opening where the furnace vent used to be as well.

We used an automotive acrylic primer and paint from Dupont (Nason I believe was the name). I applied it with an HVLP sprayer.

On the inside we pulled out all the paneling and insulation and noticed that most of the 1 X 2 spruce framing that had been fiberglass bonded to the outer shell had let go over the years. We pulled it all out, scraped off as much as possible of the old resin from the shell and glued in new framing using polyurethane construction adhesive. (you can get this at Home depot or Rona)

For windows, we kept the front and back ones, but replaced all the side windows with new ones from SunView Industries in Summerland BC. http://www.sunviewindustries.ca/ You have to stipulate the wall thickness when you order (ours is 1") We ordered the windows just a hair oversized and trimmed out the existing openings to get a tighter fit than the original. The windows are bedded in a butyl rubber tape available from any RV dealer.

Our trailer also came with a "low pressure" (30 psi) automotive style 14" tires and brake drums that no longer worked. We figured that with an original weight of only 1450 lbs, we didn't need the brakes so we replaced them with standard hubs , and put on new 13" trailer tires with a 50 psi inflation recommendation. That saved another estimated 80 lbs of weight, and lost us only about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ground clearance. Given the easier rolling and lighter weight it should make towing even easier.

We are also reconfiguring the interior from its "pretence" of being a 4 person camper by eliminating the upper bunk, reshaping the dinette into a U-shape, and extending the counter area right to the front. This leaves only a smaller sitting area to the right of the door, and turns the trailer into a true, 2 person camper. I'll post some more phots shortly.

Best of luck with your project

Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Beachcomber
Wil,
It's quite the project you have there. I am just starting on a 1977 Beachcomber that is in about the same shape as the unit you started with. (ie. - Floor is rotten in places from leaking at the seam)

How difficult was it to separate the top half of the trailer from the bottom? I have completely gutted the interior of the trailer as all of the support wood was peeling off the fiberglass, or rotten if it was on the bottom half of the trailer. I had thought about fiberglassing the two halves of the trailer together to permanently seal up the problem, but I'm waiting for some better weather out here on the WET coast to get started.

I also sent you a PM regarding the hinges

Devan
Devan Dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Beachcomber
Wil,
One more thing - was the roof of your trailer sagging at all?
Devan Dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Wil,
One more thing - was the roof of your trailer sagging at all?

Hi Devan
I guess it's time for some more photos. I'll try and do that tonight.

In response to your questions.
Separating the two halves is not dificult at all. the only place the fiberglass is actually joined is about an inch either side of the door. I cut that apart with a dremel tool and reglassed them together after the repaint. (note: I chose to completely separate the halves so it would be easier to take them into my garage and repair and paint. If you are ok doing that work outdoors, or if you're not going that far, you can save some work by not cutting them apart. Just be careful the two halves stay aligned by screwing in some temporary blocks or doing a remove/replace of the wood strip in one area at a time) Beyond that, just remove the outside molding (take out the rubber or plastic screw covers and remove all the screws. They didn't use stainless so they will probably all be rusted off. The remains of the wood strip that held the halves together will fall out. Then, I suggest going to Rona or HOme Depot and looking for a composite material they have in the hardwood section. Its made of sawdust and plastic resin and comes in standard 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 (actual 3/4 x 51/2). I cut it just wide enough so it fits comfortably inside the molded flange, and slightly beveled the edges to match the flange. Then bond it in with a generous amount of polyurethane adhesive and replace all the screws with new 1" x #6 stainless. That should make it nice and secure. In the corners where you can't bend the wood, a reglassed the halves together to seal them using poly resin and glass mat.

I noted in an earlier post that most of the interior framing had fallen off where it had rotted or delaminated from the outer glass skin. That include the roof, so when I brought the trailer home, it had a seriously sagging roof. (probably about 3 inches below flat. I built new roof ribs by laminating 1/4" thick strips of ash over a curved form. I just used standard hardware store Titebond III waterproof glue. Now the roof has about a 3" arch gaining me about 6 inches of headroom in the middle.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #11

There's been some interest in my "project" so I thought I'd add some new photos to bring you up to date. Here they are.

Name:	IMG_3124.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	13733
New front seating area

Name:	IMG_3122.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	13732
These are the new laminated ceiling ribs

Name:	IMG_3126.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	13734
New "U" shaped seating area

Name:	IMG_3130.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	13735
This is the composite joining strip with exanding foan to complete the waterproofing

Name:	IMG_3125.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	13736
I decided to get fancy with the front seating area and radius'd the corner

Name:	IMG_3131.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	13737
We felt that the old closet made the trailer feel too small, so we added a new lower cabinet that will create more surface counter area, We still have to build a support beam from the cabinet top to the ceiling to keep the wall from bowing out, and to hold the door latch

Name:	IMG_3132.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	13738
This is the new replacement window we were able to get from Sunview industries
Wil
Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Beachcomber
nice work! ive got some great ideas.thanks,just started to refurbish ours.
kevin h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
I have a 1978. the door does not fit properly do you have any Ideas. All the hardware that was inside the door fell down and I do not know how to seperate the door. I would even consider a new door. please email at my secure address lambo94[at]shaw.ca

Thanks
Bob
Bob Mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Nice work, Wil. I thoight of using PL Polyurethane adhesive for attaching supports to the fiberglass, and am glad to hear you did.

Like your idea of a lower cabinet only to replace the closet. I thought of that too for the same reasons.

Beautiful woodworking here. Keep posting your progress. The top off photo was a first- Wow!

Francene
74 Compact II, previously rotty and musty, now stripped out and clean
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I like the cabinet work you are doing. Are you using oak or ash? What a project! I think it would be "fun" to rebuild a the interior of a trailer but it certainly would take a lot of time. We will be looking forward to more photos as you make progress.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #16

Name: Ryley
Saskatchewan
Hi Wil,

Just read this thread as I just started a '77 B15 reno. Just passing along a thanks for posting this as it's a super helpful resource for us!
rydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #17

Name: Mark
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber
Hilton Beach
Beachcomber door hinges

Hi Wil,
I realize that several years have passed since you posted that you had surplus door hinges for the Beachcomber trailer.
I am in need of new hinges for my recently acquired 77 beachcomber and i thought that it doesnt hurt to ask.
If you still have or know where they are i would appreciate you letting my know.
Thanks
Mark
The Cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:39 PM   #18

Name: Barbara
Alberta
Door Hinges for Beachcomber B15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Bartel View Post
If anyone is interested, here are the photos of the entry door hinges I found. They are an exact match for the original hinges from my 1978 Beachcomber. I don't know what other trailers they might fit. The RV dealer I bought them from had about 30 or 40 pairs of these in a clearance box. I paid a buck a pair.

As you can see from the photo, they are tapered to fit the angles of the upper and lower angles of the trailer shell halves.

In any case, I'm not in the business of selling these, but if anyone needs these particular ones, I can point you in the right direction or try to help arrange to get them to you. Just send me a private email

Best of luck in your restorations

Attachment 13376

Attachment 13377

Attachment 13378
I just purchased a 1979 Beachcomber B15 in very rough condition. I will also need hinges. I know this post is from many years ago, but if anyone has ideas on where to find these, I would appreciate it immensely. And thank you to the original poster for all of the photos and details on your project. It's very helpful. I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Barbara Atchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #19

Name: RAYMOND
Trailer: beachcomber
Ontario
Smile Door Adjystment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mc. View Post
I have a 1978. the door does not fit properly do you have any Ideas. All the hardware that was inside the door fell down and I do not know how to seperate the door. I would even consider a new door. please email at my secure address lambo94[at]shaw.ca

Thanks
Bob
Hello we have the same problem with gap at bottom and top on our 1980 Beachcomber… did you solve your problem… bridgetdallaire60@outtlook.com
Bellasugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 06:09 AM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber
Hilton Beach
Mine is s 1977 Beachcomber (BC).
Regarding the fit of the door, over time the roof of the BC sags, causing the walls to bulge out hence the poor fitting door. I installed new solid beams (1-1/4 thick oak) across the roof , side to side, n two locations. I jacked up the roof and installed a new solid post on each side, restoring the roof to its original height and shape and restoring the side profile such that the door fit perfectly.
Regarding the parts falling off inside of the door, i experience the same issue. there are steel plates fibreglassed into place on the inside of the door which are drilled and tapped to receive the screws for the hinges. Note that the doors were fibreglassed together after installation of these plates so disassembly of the doors is not really practical. I cut square holes into the inner lining panel to access the areas behind the affected hinge. i retrieved the plate and re-affixed it with some fiberglass mat and resin. I was then able to reinstall the hinge. lastly i placed a nice neat patch over the hole i had created on the inside of the door.
It is unlikely that you will find a replacement door, and even if you did, it would likely come with its own issues.
Good luck. Remember, everything is fixable!
Mark
The Cac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber