New counter tops?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
New counter tops??

I'm thinking about changing out the wooden counter top to something nicer.......not sure what. This is my only counter top.......where the stove and cooktop sit. Is this a major project or something relatively simple? Got a jig saw, circular saw, and a chop saw........decent skills.
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

Montana
Here's a pix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403288426.030837.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	72733
Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am pondering this myself. I am planning to remove the gas (three burner)cooktop in my Scamp 16 and replace it with a smaller (two burner) electric top leaving a hole. I am actually considering wood which would add a little weight (not much though) or laminating the whole top with some Formica. I just don't know how that would work with the curves in the front and back at the backsplash though. Some thin (hard)wood with an inlaid poly cutting board would be cool.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Unless you gain major functionality or cleanliness.. why the change? I've seen (on the CaisitaForum) someone that changed their countertop to Corian. Absolutely, positively beautiful but added a bunch of weight.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #5

Montana
Donna........I just don't like the dark, heavy wood. I replaced the door to the left of the refrigerator with a curtain made from the window curtains materiaI. Will probably sand the remaining doors and paint them something light. Maybe that would be the easiest thing to do....just sand and repaint the kitchen counter with a good semi gloss......

By the way.....what does YMMV mean when you sign off of a post?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #6

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

My thoughts/ideas may not be the same as yours.

I like the idea of a good quality paint. May really brighten up the area! If it doesn't work out, then you can move ahead with something else. So... I'm cheap
Old 06-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why not a laminate?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #8

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why not a laminate?
There's no reason you couldn't use laminate, but it may be heavier than what is there now.

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #9

Laminate weighs next to nothing, certainly compared to tile or Corian.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #10

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
My stove was removed so I pulled out the sink. Using a piece of 1/2" plywood I cut a piece to fit the entire top. A local church minister had been a cabinet maker and had a scrap of laminate just the right size. He installed the laminate. I used rv caulking to glue it to the fiberglass reinstalled the sink in its original holes added faucets and rope molding to the edges. Nice big countertop and not too heavy.
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Unless you gain major functionality or cleanliness.. why the change? I've seen (on the CaisitaForum) someone that changed their countertop to Corian. Absolutely, positively beautiful but added a bunch of weight.
Actually, there are a couple of us who have done this (Corian countertop), maybe more. While Corian is heavy as all get-out, there is so little of it left after making the sink and stove cut-outs, I considered it a non-issue. The problem I found with Corian is that it's so darned hard to locate.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_8727.1.jpg  
Old 12-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #12

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
If you are going to replace the counter top. I would replace the stove and sink with a combined unit with a glass top. That would give you more counter space and the amount of work would be the same. I vote for laminate counter top. I glued some directly onto the fiberglass and it cleans much more easily then paint ever will. Replacing counter top is a lot of work by the way because you pretty much have to take everything apart.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Corian can be tough to locate, but can be ordered in 1/4 inch thickness to keep the weight down if you overlay the existing surface. Because it is actually a thermoplastic, it works pretty easy with standard woodworking tools. It is bonded with a specialized 2-part adhesive that is spendy - $42 a tube (including mixing nozzles.) It can also be shaped by heating to create an edge radius.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
If the countertop you have now is in fairly good shape and is still stuck down to the wood , you could just ruff it up with sand paper and glue the new laminate over the old. Of course, you would have to pull the countertop and remove the sink, taps and stove. You would need a router and laminated trimming bit to trim it down. I used aluminium trim on mine when I did the Ventura countertop. I know Rona hardware up here sells 2'x4' laminate for about $5 and a can of contact cement and a paint brush or roller = a cheap redo!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1753 (Medium).JPG   DSCN1752 (Medium).JPG  

Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
If the countertop you have now is in fairly good shape and is still stuck down to the wood , you could just ruff it up with sand paper and glue the new laminate over the old. Of course, you would have to pull the countertop and remove the sink, taps and stove. You would need a router and laminated trimming bit to trim it down. I used aluminium trim on mine when I did the Ventura countertop. I know Rona hardware up here sells 2'x4' laminate for about $5 and a can of contact cement and a paint brush or roller = a cheap redo!
Oh, that's pretty ! Really, really nice !

Rob
Old 12-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Thank you Rob
I kinda miss the old Ventura (sold it this spring)but I do like the Casita and am making it my own. Love your trailer and it has given me some great ideas.

Dave
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote