New entry stool - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
New entry stool

I can't easily get in and out of our egg. I got tired of looking for a stool to buy (none were just right), so made my own!

Scrap rough 3/4 plywood. Still needs sanding and finishing.

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I put rubber stair runner on top of the one I made. Kept it low and wide to prevent tipping if we stepped off center. When traveling it is upside down just inside the door and holds our front stabilizers and wheel chocks.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #3

New York
Good idea. I was thinking of sprinkling sand in the polyurethane for the top, but stair runner is a better idea. I don't think this one will tip over very easy.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
That looks like a rock-solid step. Good job. I usually use spar urethane (Minwax) for outdoor wood projects that are unpainted. UV and weather resistant but it doesn’t want to go over paint . Sand in the finish, outdoor carpet (a cut piece out of a door mat), synthetic turf or a rubber strip are all options. I’m thinking you’d want any ribs in the top surface of the rubber to be oriented side-to-side for maximum slip resistance stepping in or out. That or find some sort of non-directional surface design.

From a slightly different perspective, I’ve gone through a number of steps over the years. Most of them were that small folding plastic step that hinges down the center and folds flat. Inexpensive, compact and light. The eventual problem with that was that it was too small of a target (I have a small issue with fine motor control for foot positioning others may be familiar with) and it didn’t always present a flat level surface due to ground slope outside the door. I eventually went the adjustable leg folding step. Really kind of expensive (~$100) but in the end I’ve decided it’s probably one of my better purchases.

But I didn't get the satisfaction of making my own.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #5

New York
I agree with Steve, if you use the rubber stair runner put the ridges side to side for more slip resistance. Our step is 7" high, 20" wide, 18" deep, and it will tip if I step on the edge so I'm careful to position it correctly in front of the door. I really like the one that another member here recently posted he made where the sides taper out to make it more stable.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I also put some red reflective tape on the front and rear edges of mine to make it easier to see in the dark. Our porch light is none too bright.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I also put some red reflective tape on the front and rear edges of mine to make it easier to see in the dark. Our porch light is none too bright.
Another excellent idea! I love fgrv!

Thanks.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Nice, I even have some suitable scrap plywood in the "inventory". The only problem is I don't think I have time to knock one out before we leave next week. I have the step the PO left with the rig but it is too heavy although it works well enough. I like the idea about flipping one like the Frank made over and storing stabizers in it. I did not like all the flexing going on entering and exiting the Scamp so bought a little screw-jack to put under the frame in camp and the upside-down step would be a great place to store it on the road.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #9

New York
There is yellow or red floor marking tape available that I used on the edges of stair treads in the retirement home I worked at part time, but I couldn't find it locally and ended up buying a big roll online.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #10

New York
I did not like all the flexing going on entering and exiting the Scamp so bought a little screw-jack to put under the frame in camp and the upside-down step would be a great place to store it on the road.[/QUOTE]

Our Uhaul has the flip down telescoping stabilizers in the rear but nothing in the front. I had to shorten a pair of the screw type to fit under the front corners. With our step flipped over I also keep the rear stabilizer handle and a few short boards for under a tire for leveling or under the stabilizers on soft ground.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Looks like a real nice step Frank. Good and sturdy. I'll probably end up building a longer and wider box-type step for our Scamp 13. We probably don't need one for the low height entry, but it will serve to hold chocks, blocks, etc when traveling. I need it shorter, wider, and longer than your's to give our 14 y.o. dachshund better access. He doesn't do tall normal sized steps very well.

Another option for traction on the step is "Wing Walk" tape or paint found in most aircraft repair facilities. The paint is black, with a type of sand or grit mixed throughout. The tape version comes in wide rolls with peel and stick adhesive on the bottom. It is aggressive even if it gets wet, but wouldn't be hard on bare feet. If you have any friends in the aviation industry; the cost would be very low.

Good Job!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post

Another option for traction on the step is "Wing Walk" tape or paint found in most aircraft repair facilities. The paint is black, with a type of sand or grit mixed throughout. The tape version comes in wide rolls with peel and stick adhesive on the bottom. It is aggressive even if it gets wet, but wouldn't be hard on bare feet. If you have any friends in the aviation industry; the cost would be very low.

Good Job!

Tom
Easier to find might be non-slip bath tub strips, found almost anyplace, or non-slip deck strips at any boating supply house.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Go to your nearest skate board shop they have the abrasive peel and stick tread material. Just shove the young-uns aside and hang your pants down low so you blend in. Oh and don't forget to put your hat on backwards.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I built a deck style step/ platform out of treated lumber. The deck boards on top are spaced so water can drains. The back and the two sides are raised a 1/2" higher than the front. We place an outdoor rubber door mat on top of the deck . The mat provides a non slip surface ,drains water and allows you to wipe the dirt off your shoes/ feet when entering the trailer, The platform is 20" x 30" which is rather large but it is extremely stable . When traveling we flip the platform over and store our BAL trailer jack / leveler inside the step
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I picked up some black grit impregnated wide tape at big box building supply store. HD as I recall. Has been on dog agility equipment that is outside most of the summer and still on it two years later.

Also they make a very fine grit that comes in a carton about 1/2 pint size which you can mix into the paint. Will say the no-slip tape won't stick as well to the paint with grit in it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #16

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I made this out of 4" pvc fence post and the fencing. There is 5" fence post also. It is relatively light for it;s size. It is made the same width as the door so you can step out anywhere. It will tip if you step on the edge, but I push it under the trailer a few inches so it won't flip completely.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Step Side.jpg   Scamp Step Top.jpg  

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Go to your nearest skate board shop they have the abrasive peel and stick tread material. Just shove the young-uns aside and hang your pants down low so you blend in. Oh and don't forget to put your hat on backwards.
Actually, I pull my pants up even higher above my belly (so my socks show*), and give them my best "don't mess with me punk" glare.

* As in "I have socks older than you".
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #18

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Home Depot sells stick 5x12 or so abrasive non skid in the paint department.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I am dedicated to off-label use and reuse of various scrap I have around. This works for us quite well. The most expensive part is the "astroturf" door mat from a hardware store. It is 3/8 plywood, 2x4's, some nails and screws and, very important, those big paper clips. Without them the mat gets blown all over the campsite. It is stable and non-slip. The mat is easy shake clean or hose down if needed. If it had to be higher than these 6 inches, I would use two pieces of 2x4's in at least two corners, for better stability.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0977.jpg   PICT0978.jpg  

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #20

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I bought a fairly pricey (near $100) metal step with telescoping and folding legs at Camping World after having made several myself and wasn't happy with any. The one I bought has the legs angling out which makes it more stable.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote