New Project - 76' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
looking good, david!! i was skeptical when i saw the first photos...but you have done a great job so far.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #22

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
Wow, Deja Vu!! That's about what mine looked like when I got it. These things are truly a labor of love!
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Got the floors and doors finished over the weekend. But I am not ready to post pics quite yet. Here is one I've never tried before. Took 4" out of the closet door opening. I painted on 2 layers of gelcoat, and then started the buildup on that. When I popped off the form it wasn't to shabby! A little sanding and touchup.

Almost finished with all the major interior work. This might be on the road this season yet!
Attached Thumbnails
image-1950653720.jpg   image-2438838976.jpg  

David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #24

Ice Box - Retro

Custom cooler box, still need to add the drain tube. This should keep the 6 pack cool though!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1156.jpg   IMG_1167.jpg  

IMG_1169.jpg   IMG_1165.jpg  

Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #25

Getting into the home stretch. Body work is finished! My wife and I both needed elbow and shoulder replacements after cleaning and stripping the outside. After a day of scrubbing, we resorted to wet sanding with, 350Grit to get what was left of some kind of a polyurethane finish off. Wat a job! but she if coming along!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1207.jpg   IMG_1195.jpg  

IMG_1173.jpg   IMG_1215.jpg  

IMG_1182[1].jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hey David

The trailer is looking great , the floor looks fab I'm curious about your icebox it looks like wood inside. What are you using to seal the inside or is it plastic and just looks like wood

Thanks
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h
Hey David

The trailer is looking great , the floor looks fab I'm curious about your icebox it looks like wood inside. What are you using to seal the inside or is it plastic and just looks like wood

Thanks
Thank you!

The ice box is wooden. The walls and bottom are 1/4" finish grade ply. And the flange is made from lumber. The inside of the door is also the same 1/4" ply. And the door itself is a core door with reflectics and layers of fiberglass insulation. Everything is sealed and coated in polyester resin. Several thick coats. Sanded between layers. The box has a convex shape to it. And the corners are reinforced with fiberglass on the outside. All edges and seams got an extra resin treatment before assembly. You could go over the Niagara in it and have a cools beer at the bottom!

The 3m polyester was the amber contrast so it gave it a dark tent to the wood. And it worked out well with the rest of the wood interiors. The front panel of the door is steel skin. So magnets will stick. The foam insulation Around the body will be Wrapped in space blanket. I have since added a drain tube to the ice tray. We pored a cup of resin into the tray and worked it around so that it is completely water tight, and the corners are rounded so it will be easy to clean.

My wife wanted to make one that reminded her of the ice box on her grandpas old boat when she was a kid. I think it looks great!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #28

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Cracked Egg!

Just a couple of suggestions for names - "Scrambled" since it was half way there with the broken shell and all or "Humpty" ''cause it looks like it had a great fall! Kudos to you - can't believe I'm worried about a little water! LOL! You and the other people in this group amaze me at the stuff you can do. I'm terrified to put a fan in my trillium or reseal the windows! The little broken egg is looking fab!

Laurie
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
Just picked up a new project (Like I needed anymore). It is going to be quite a while before I get to tear into it. But I figured I would start the build log.
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #29

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
David,

fantastic work sir! i absolutely love the furnace ... its sleek and low-profile. can you give us a tip as to what and where you got it?

cheers,
-Paul
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanna View Post
Just a couple of suggestions for names - "Scrambled" since it was half way there with the broken shell and all or "Humpty" ''cause it looks like it had a great fall! Kudos to you - can't believe I'm worried about a little water! LOL! You and the other people in this group amaze me at the stuff you can do. I'm terrified to put a fan in my trillium or reseal the windows! The little broken egg is looking fab!

Laurie
Thats funny! My wife and I were joking about that. I told her I was going to have to hire all the Kings Men to fix this one! Thank you for the complements!

4 years ago I knew nothing about FGRvs, you spend enough time around here and in the classic boat forums on other sites, and it wont be long before you are popping out windows and fixing them as a weekend project. As for water! that is nothing to small, Water is all of our worst fears I think! I cringe every time It rains!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
David,

fantastic work sir! i absolutely love the furnace ... its sleek and low-profile. can you give us a tip as to what and where you got it?

cheers,
-Paul
The heater came with the trailer, It's seventies vintage. It's very similar to the Mr. Buddy flame grid heaters but significantly thinner. Sure puts out the heat though! It actually roars when it is going! it was previously mounted below and in front of the sink. It needed a bit of RnR to get it back to running order. It was pretty beat. I am hoping that over there it was be in a less traffic area.

I am a huge fan of the Wave 3 catalytic heaters. They are super safe and are even much smaller. A lot of the folks here use them. They put off less condensation than the flame grids do as well as being more efficient. When my pocket book affords I will probably upgrade to one of those. That was my master plan, because I was not certain I could resurrect that one. But now that it's fixed up I really like it!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #32

Interiors are finished! Yey!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1275[1].jpg   IMG_0986.jpg  

IMG_1270[1].jpg   IMG_1269[1].jpg  

IMG_0990.jpg   IMG_0896.jpg  

Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #33

After much research, I have concluded that the axle is indeed aftermarket. And is specifically lower profile. The mounting brackets were slightly wider than the frame and there was some angle welded on to accommodate. The spring seams pretty good. And the arms have a slight up angle to them. But the camber is correct so if it's a flip job they did it correctly i guess. What a relief I was sure I was looking at a replacement.

Tags
scamp