New striping!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
New striping!!

I am getting ready to remove the old striping and install new. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting them lined up and straight?
Husseydad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
There is a good chance you will see some ghosting, as the gelcoat underneath will not have been exposed to UV attack. Most folks just put it back in the ghost zone. It might also help to use some painters tape to keep you aligned during application. Offset a pencil line 3 inches from (bottom or top of letter or stripes,, i.e. edges) where you will be applying the sticker. Put your tape strips there, out of the way of scrappers and WD40 or GooGone or whatever you choose to clean with. Once it is all clean, make some tiny pencil tic marks offset 3" back into your application zone. Don't engrave them, you just want them to be visible, but easily wipe off with your finger. Hopefully, that will keep you aligned properly.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Thanks, i am having it buffed so hopefully the ghosting will go away. thanks for the tips.
Husseydad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When we bought new decals for our Uhaul, the seller provided a link to a you tube video to install them using a tape & fold method. Worked for us, so you might want to look on you tube.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Take photos of you old graphic locations.
Make a template or really a bunch of templates that fix the graphic location along the body. I use a clear film to make mine but waxed paper or some other transparent non stretching material should work.

With the template made when you are ready to install the new graphics you use it to layout you locations.

Depending on the vinyl type you might be able to use the wet apply method.
I like it for large graphics that can wander over the length.

Also, if the graphics were made right, the will have a curve built into the so when applied the will look flat or horizontal. If the don't have a curve they will be more challenging to put on smoothly.

In a former life I designed color and graphics for motorcycles, water craft and ATVs.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Last fall I installed new stickers on our 17' Casita and it was easy.
As noted you will see the ghosting from where they originally were. I saw the the "wet method" on a u-tube where you simply mix a tiny bit of dish detergent in water and spray it on the area your working on. Get it good and wet then put on the sticker and maneuver it around until it covers the ghosting. Then gently wipe with a cloth and work the water and any air bubbles out.

And your done. It's just as easy as that. As long as it's wet you can move the sticker around but once it dries your done so keep it wet

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Stickers.JPG  
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I use 90 percent rubbing alcohol to wet the surface and tape the strip to the side of the trailer with a bit of masking tape to line it up where it is supposed to be. I then peel off a bit of the backing at a time and place it bit by bit and then squeegee out the air bubbles.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here's the video I watched.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote