New table for our Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
New table for our Scamp

I am not a fan of white plastic "Formica" look-alike materials in furniture, though RVs made of white plastic are the best. Too many RV manufacturers use particle board for interior woodwork; its cheap, looks like junk, doesn't hold fasteners well, is cheap, is very heavy, is ugly in its natural state, and did I say cheap. Particle board is made sawdust bound together with copious amounts inexpensive adhesive usually covered with some form of vinyl to hide it. All that said it comes in large cheap sheets and industrial automated manufacture is very easy and quick. I don't like it.

So I chose to replace our Scamp's dinette table with a somewhat more natural product, veneer core red oak plywood. I paid $32.00 for a 4 x 4 by 3/4 sheet at Menards. Like particle board it comes in large flat sheets, is easy to work with, and while not as cheap as particle board is still on the inexpensive side. Also its quite beautiful with no more than a clear polyurethane finish. This combination also allows much easier repair after a decade or two of use than vinyl covered particle board with its vinyl edgebanding.

A not insignificant benefit it that plywood is about 60% the weight of particle board. Our Scamp is now 20 pounds lighter.

I have attached a cell phone picture to show the new table.

Happy camping. John
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
John:

That's classy!! What thickness is the plywood, and how did you finish the edge? This is something that has been on my "to do" list, and now you've given me motivation to follow-up.

Thanks,
Old 08-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
John:

That's classy!! What thickness is the plywood, and how did you finish the edge? This is something that has been on my "to do" list, and now you've given me motivation to follow-up.

Thanks,
The plywood is ¾ inch thick and I used a roundover bit in my router to round the edge. I may take the top out for a few days in the sun to "tan" the oak to deepen the color. Glad you like it.

While the top was off I took some sandpaper to the sharp edges of the table leg release mechanism. Now its much easier on the fingers.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I did something similar in our Scamp. After replacing the particle board doors with paneled doors made from Cherry, the table looked cheap and tacky. I bought a 4 x 4 Sheet of 3/4 Cherry Plywood and cut a new table. I used Birch edge banding stained to match Cherry. I also shortened the table 3" to make it easier to get past the cupboards when entering the dinette!

With the new doors, and table, my Scamp must be about 80 lbs lighter.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
On oak wood/plywood mods/additions I use golden oak minwax stain, it's real close to the Scamp oak vinyl finish.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1442061802.149910.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	88611Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1442061996.746170.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	88612
Replaced the bad table top with 3/4 plywood and reattached the hardware. A table rail on the outside lets us use it for our outdoor kitchen.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp