New Table Strength question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
New Table Strength question

Our '93 Scamp has a well worn original table. We plan to:
1. Replace it with a plywood table
2. Epoxy a vintage map onto the top

The original table appears to be 5/8" thick. No such hardwood ply is available to me locally. But, 1/2" hardwood ply is available, and the epoxy folks advertise that it adds 1/8" thickness - making 1/2" ply into a suitable 5/8" replacement.

Questions:
1. Any thoughts on the suitability of 1/2" ply as not only table top, but bed? Will that be strong enough? Will the epoxy add strength? I could add a couple of lateral strips on the bottom in order to add lateral strength. But do I need to?
2. Epoxy: Have you had a great experience with epoxy that you could point me to? Any suggestions at all?
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
For Scamp table tops I use 3/4" oak plywood with golden oak stain. I use 1/2" oak plywood for the cabinet doors. I have seen several stock Scamp table tops crack. Usually by people placing their weight on their knee in the center of the bed.
Epoxy without fibers adds little or no strength.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I've built tables from good 3/4" hardwood ply, Eddie has it right. I would pass on 1/2".
Old 05-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
For Scamp table tops I use 3/4" oak plywood with golden oak stain. I use 1/2" oak plywood for the cabinet doors. I have seen several stock Scamp table tops crack. Usually by people placing their weight on their knee in the center of the bed.
Epoxy without fibers adds little or no strength.
Eddie
I too used ¾ oak plywood on my 91 Scamp. ½ inch is too thin and the flexing might delaminate your epoxy. I am about to do it again in my newer Scamp and ¾ will be my choice. Fortunately ¾ ply is lighter weight than the fiberboard Scamp chooses. I chose satin polyurethane as finish.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My table top is glued pine. I believe it's 1/2 inch but will check in the morning. I believe this is our fourth year.

Coated with urethane.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-46387-3.html

7 Years ago I made a similar table and used oak stair treads. Worked well but much heavier. Pine seems fine.

I measured the pine this morning and is a 1/2". I purchased a sheet of glued up pine from Home Depot. I believe 30" wide and just had to cur it to length. It was the lightest table solution and has served perfectly for the bed. I oak stained it and than urethaned it, the final coat a poured coat for extra thickness.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote