New Trailer! Havusa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Havusa
Washington
Registry
New Trailer! Havusa

Hey,
I Finally found a trailer a couple of weeks ago and have been slowly taking it apart to renovate it!

The previous owners did a rough rebuild after buying the shell from their neighbors (Saved it from becoming a chicken coup!). Unfortunately self sufficiency was not on their agenda as it had no propane, water, or power. it required a constant plug in at campsites....

I've planned out a complete rebuild and have torn out almost everything in the camper.

We are planning to:
- Add a Group 27 battery + 600W sinewave inverter
(Switching to LFP down the line.)
- 100-200W of solar panels
- New 12V Lighting

- 20 Gal. Fresh water
- 21 Gal Grey water
- Propane instant water heater
- Interior shower on the left side
- Sanipotti

- Dual Propane tanks
- Vintage RV stove/Oven (Colemen Holiday stove)

- Reducing bed from queen to full size
- Mini 3.3cu Electric dorm fridge

Now for repairs...
- Sand/repaint frame (In progress)
- Replace (coupler) and reinforce tongue. (Done!)
- Tear out Interior (90%, left old cabinet walls as roof supports)
- Rebuild Trailer lights harness (Waiting on frame)

- Fix and re-install windows (Not Started)
- Reframe camper, Install insulation (Not Started)
- Patch old frame holes (Not Started)

- Add new fresh water fill (Not Started)
- Run new plumbing (Not Started)

- Run new wiring (Not Started)

- Sand and add new Gel-Coat (exterior cracking) (Not Started)

- build custom wet bath (Planned)

I'm currently pretty stuck on how to fix the windows, they seem really loose and are falling apart. I'm going to start a thread on those here:
Insert Link(?)

*In addition, Id like to find out more about the trailer we've got... I've tried to look them up but the only links I've found are on this forum!

We're really excited to get this trailer renovated and ready for camping!

David

Photos(?)
*how do you post a photo?
BoomStick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
In the quick reply window click on "go advanced" and use the usual paper clip icon.

Big project. We'll all be looking forward to your progress and your pics.

Walt
Old 10-10-2021, 12:42 AM   #3

Washington
Registry
Before Photos

Old 10-10-2021, 12:53 AM   #4

Washington
Registry
Framework

Stripped down all the paint, primed and repainted with black truck bed liner.

Shell looking sad on concrete stilts...

Frame before:

Had to grind off the old coupler, found this when I ground it off.
Had a welder help me reinforce the frame where i nicked it with a grinder (should've been more careful... Oops...)

During Priming:

Final! Finished the final coat today!
Used black truck bed liner and covering with clear coat.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-10-2021, 06:15 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A lot of good work. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Walt
Old 10-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #6

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Have not seen the Havausa, I originally thought you had an actual Hunter Compact JR without the pop-up top.
Anyhow, pretty sure you saw this video

and this page, which also borrows from this site for info.
https://tincantourists.com/wiki/compact-jr/

there is a few folks that have restored the Compact II (which obviously shares your trailer DNA)

funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Nice! I originally wanted a hunter compact, but looks like I got a very similar size (with increased uniqueness!)
Old 10-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #8

Washington
Registry
Re-framed!

I got the trailer put back on the frame!

All the old bolts are completely rusted though...

I have to take out the old (previous renovated) plywood to check under it. it appears the trailer originally had a sub floor..? only a section is showing. When i peeled the floor up, it looks like a pretty water damaged flap of wood glued to the floor. what's left of some of the bolts are under that section of the wood anyways, so I'm going to need to get under there regardless.

Had to put it back by myself, ended up nicking the new paint coat on the cinder blocks should've gotten a spotter to help...

Trailer back on frame, added Group 27 Battery box and the dual propane tanks back on. (need to find a way to secure the bat box... perhaps U bolts?

I'll try to post a photo of the sub-(sub?) floor later today!
Old 10-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #9

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Frame looks sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomStick01 View Post
Nice! I originally wanted a hunter compact, but looks like I got a very similar size (with increased uniqueness!)
Honestly, yours adds more head room, without a fabric pop-up that would need replacing overtime. I actually enjoy that aspect on yours. The headroom is in the galley where you obviously can stand instead of the front bed/table where you sit or sleep . I think yours makes more sense... with only the issue of getting it in a garage simply which is where a pop-up piece makes sense.
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #10

Washington
Registry
Trailer Update

Hey guys!
It's been a busy month, so i haven't had as much time to post as I'd like.
I did however, get some work done in the trailer!

A quick rundown:
The old floor was ripped out, water damaged 1/2" plywood.
Floor was sanded down and cleaned, then glassed with a single layer of mat.
A hole (totally not by me...) was patched.
new 3/4" plywood was laid over and glued with subfloor adhesive.
Frame for the back bench was constructed.
Door was removed from frame.

We decided on a 2.5 gallon electric water heater, a old GE point of use tank that I cleaned up and will be installing a 300W heating element in.

Math seems to show a max of 8 gallons of 80ish degree water before emptying the tank, which is over half the fresh water...

Had fun with the anode rod, which was rusted into the tank itself, took 5min with a heat gun and a pipe wrench and a 8" pipe to break it free
replaced all the insulation as well as the fiberglass was water soaked.

I ended up doing a rough hot water test by quickly throwing together all the required parts of the system and doing a test of it. due to the temporary nature, I used tube clamps... on PEX, we'll get to that in a sec...

I was surprised that the pump could self prime from well over 3 feet above the bathtub "water tank". The pump did however never completely shut off, i believe due to some small leaks in the setup. I didn't care too much at the time as it was just a proof of concept before starting to install plumbing.

The heater with its stock 1.4kW 120V element got up to temp (140F) in around 15 min, so our to-be-ordered 300W element should take just over an hour 15. that seems fine enough, we'll probably heat it when solar is available...

After around 3 minutes of messing with the system, I was about to shut it down and take it apart (it was 10pm and my in-laws had decided to drop in unannounced earlier in the day ) that's when a poorly/over-tightened clamp gave out, causing a water explosion all over the bathroom.

Well, that's why you don't use tube clamps on PEX! It didn't even last a temporary setup!

Now onto the earlier stuff...

I took some photos but can't seem to find them at the moment...
the previous owners basically decided they didn't want to mess with the old spongy 1/2" ply sub floor, so... why not just cover it with shiny clean 3/4" and call it a day!

after removing the layer of "new" plywood, I discovered the original 1/2" plywood in all its dry rot glory... It appears an attempt was mad to remove it, with little success, hence the new layer over it.

The Havusa appears to have what a separate member who re-did a Perris Racer called a "Bathtub" design, or a complete fiberglass bottom. I personally think that those are nicer due to less maintenance required, but this ran into the issue that the wood was glassed right into the floor...

I learned how to remove this the hard way, originally trying to cut the floor into smaller squares and prying them out, resulting in light crisscross cuts into the fiberglass as the area I had aligned the height of the blade to was slightly lower then the rest of the body ...

I ended up using a chisel to pry out all the glass, sometimes losing a layer of fiber in the proccess, probably a bit more once I used a grinder to buff out my crisscross marks. getting tired and also being hooked into an online class resulted in me punching a hole right through the floor of the trailer with the chisel!

I later patched this up, but still was a real let down...

I ended up purchasing around 6 cans on 28oz Bondo resin, around one per square yard of fiberglass mat...

I used a cardboard shoe box lid lined with a layer of tinfoil to mix the resin, this seemed to work well for me, as long as you don't puncture the aluminum foil in the edges. (I'm not a fiberglass expert, take what I say with a spoon of salt)

After sanding:

First half glassing:

Done glassing!

After glassing I cut and placed 3/4" plywood for the floor, securing each piece with a tube of subfloor adhesive, I haven't repositioned the bolts to their final position so I'm not sure how well its holding...

we plan on laying a 1" layer of solid foam over top before laying down our water-proof vinyl planks, may place a 1/4" plywood over the foam but we'll see...

Finished(?) Subfloor

last week I built the frame for the back bench out of 2x4s, realizing that some were a lot more warped then I wanted... it should work out fin though...

you cans see where I'm dry fitting the water tanks in the front right now...

Back bench:

I also took off the old door, which was in worst timing as its started to rain a lot recently...

anyways, the previous owner decided to redo the door by completely using silicone! tubes and tubes of it! It took around 2 hours to remove break the hold on all the edges with a scraper...

I still haven't decided quite what i want to do with it yet as I have to raise the door about an inch to accommodate the new higher floor...

I do have a question though, how do you guys normally seal windows/doors?
as far as I've read, butyl tape should be good enough right? I plan on running a bead of silicone around the edges just to be sure, or should I glue that door back on with silicone again?

in addition, the screws go all the way back and lock into a wood frame, something you can see leaning by the door opening. the original wood was poorly glassed by I assume the factory, should I use a construction adhesive, silicone, or just glass it back in? I'm tempted to glass Err.. resin it back in, but that might take a lot more resin and resin is quite expensive here, around $30 per quart...

Door:

Hopefully I can reattach the door soon, it might be actually clear this week!
Old 10-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomStick01 View Post
I do have a question though, how do you guys normally seal windows/doors?
as far as I've read, butyl tape should be good enough right? I plan on running a bead of silicone around the edges just to be sure, or should I glue that door back on with silicone again?
Don't use Silicone for this, use something like Dicor. I say this as one who has been dealing with a previous owner's LIBERAL use of silicone around the windows. It just won't last and is a pain in the *** to deal with.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote