New Windows for 1975 13' Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #1

Name: Pascal
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
British Columbia
New Windows for 1975 13' Boler

I want to replace the original Boler windows on a 13' 1975 Boler with new sliders from Sunview Ind. The current size for the side windows hole appears to be 18" x 24" but with the new windows have a 3-1/2" radius on the corners. I think that should mean an extra 1" on each side making it 20" x 26"? I'm just wondering what dimensions other people have used. I'm also concerned with interference with the closet. Any advice/experience would be welcomed. I'm also replacing the 7" x 18" kitchen pop out and the door slider window 12" x 15" if you have any advice on those as well.
Many thanks for any input.
Pascal
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
No experience replacing windows, so I can't help there...I just thought I'd give a heads-up that any louvered windows you take out are very saleable. Lots of folks much prefer them to sliders since they can be used in the rain and since no one makes them anymore they're getting real hard to find!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh gosh, I'm with Francesca on this one. I'm sorry my Scamp is a couple of years to new to have those wonderful jalousie windows!

I've followed a couple of threads over the years where folks put in radius windows in place of square corner windows. Pascal, I believe the window sizes provided by Sunview are the outside width/height and you'll need to fill the corners. The corners of the radius windows don't make the windows bigger, they actually make the overall size of the window smaller. Here's a couple of pictures. The first one shows filling in the corners, the second what it looks like from the inside after the fill is done.
Attached Thumbnails
RadiusWindow-01.jpg   RadiusWindow-02.jpg  

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks Donna, I do realize the radius of the windows would make the corners smaller if I ordered them the same dimensions as the existing hole but what I was planning to do is order them larger than the existing hole to account for the radius, that is why I have a concern for getting too close to the closet. I think it will be easier to make the hole bigger than to try to fill the corners and repaint. And yes, once I have them out I would be willing to sell them.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #5

British Columbia
Took off the trim today and found the current holes are 17 3/4 x 25 1/2. Still trying to find out what dimensions others have used for their round corner replacement windows???
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It seems to me that the replacement window itself would come with instructions as to the size of the cutout required...that's usually a pretty solid dimension.

If you have a certain model in mind you might inquire of the window maker as to necessary cutout size.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #7

British Columbia
The windows are actually custom made. So I have to give them the dimensions. I've gone for broke and ordered them. They should be ready at the end of January. On the side windows and door window I went 2" bigger on both dimensions. That should give me the room to cut the round corners and not interfere with the closet. I'll let you know how it turns out. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #8

British Columbia
Ok, new windows are in! All went well. If anyone is interested in the old windows maybe we can swing a deal. The dining windows need new opening mechanisms but they are complete and original. You can reply to this thread for details. I have the door window(opens, sliding), sink pop out window and side dining area windows.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

Name: Dan
Trailer: 70s Boler
Alberta
I just purchased a '72-ish 13' Boler and it needs window repairs. It has broken components in the awning style windows. I might be interested in those old windows you removed. Where abouts are you? And in what condition are they? And what are you asking?
DanSinclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

British Columbia
Hi Dan, I'm in Kamloops BC. As I said the louvered windows need new mechanisms to function properly again, I've seen them on website for about $15 ea. The screens could also use replacing. I was going to do it myself but my wife wanted "modern" windows and well, happy wife, happy life. Here are some pictures, I can take more if you are interested. I was thinking $100 for the set, shipping costs are up to the buyer to take care of. I saw a functional set if just 2 side windows go for $250 so I think that's reasonable. All of the internal aluminum trim comes with them also. With some TLC these could be freshened up very nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2131174608.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	55236

2 side windows

Name:	image-3645331053.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	55237

Door sliding window

Name:	image-3253626972.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	55238

Kitchen sink pop out window
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: 70s Boler
Alberta
Boler windows

Hey Pascal. Sorry I guess I originally replied to an email the website sent instead of replying on the thread. I am very interested in taking these windows off your hands if you still have them. Maybe send me a private message and we can discuss payment, shipping, etc?

Dan
DanSinclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 1977 Boler 13 ft
Hey Pascal. Just wondering the measurements you went with for you windows. I'm looking to order some my self and didn't want to go to the hassle of making the existing holes smaller. The rough opening for the side windows are the same as your just wondering how they fit going 2 inches bigger, and was that just the width you went with not the height or both. If you have and pics on the newly installed windows that would be great. Also just curious what the cost was.
Johnathan Gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #13

British Columbia
Hi Johnathan, the sizes I went with were Side slider windows 19-1/2 x 27-1/4, sink slider window 9-3/4 x 24 -3/4" (Bigger than original but looks great), door solid window 13-3/4 x 16-3/4". When I cut the bigger holes the diameter on the corners was just shy of taking out the 90 degree corners but because the window frame is 3/4" wider it seems everything worked out. I got them from Sun-view Industries in Summerland, BC. It was $590 before tax and that included the smooth surface window seal they recommended. The door I may have to tweak a bit since it is hollow and not the same width at the top and bottom of the window, the seal compresses the door (I used butyl tape on the door window) so I will probably make wooden spacers to insert between the panels in the door to prevent compression and get a better seal. One thing to note the radius'd corners of the windows come shy of the existing corners so a repaint or touch up will be necessary. I also had to fill a hole on each corner on the two sliding side windows. It's dark now but I'll try to post pictures in the next day or two.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #14

British Columbia
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3586550452.jpg   image-3739331404.jpg  

image-140319673.jpg   image-4122601237.jpg  

Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 1977 Boler 13 ft
Hey Pascal thanks for the reply the windows look great. I was talking to Kent from Sunview Industries and he told me to cut out a circle with a 7 inch diameter and that equals a 3 and a half inch radius which is the same as the bends in the corner of there windows. I did that trying not to make the window any wider so i wouldn't interfere with the lip of the closet. So when you hold the 7" circle template to eliminate the 90 degree corner it raises the overall height of the window by roughly 5 and a quarter inches, a little over 2 and a half top and bottom. Just wondering if you did that it seems like i'm adding quite a bit of height. Was there much of your 90 degree corner of the old window opening left behind the new window trim. Also the trim ring on the inside that clamps to the outer part of the window. Do you know the width of it im just wondering how much room I have to spare between my closet and the rough opening.

Thanks Johnathan
Johnathan Gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #16

British Columbia
The trim on the inside extends 3/4" beyond the hole. These are all questions I was asking back in December when I was dealing with Kent. In answer to your question, the corners extended roughly 1/4" beyond the hole but I did cut the holes as tight as I could. I used a Dremel Trio with a carbide bit to cut the holes, it worked great. Just make sure you have an extra bit because mine broke on the last window and I could only find a steel bit (the last of the cutting with the steel bit was painfully slow). Here are some pics of the inside, I had to trim about 1/8 of an inch off of the closet fiberglass (again the dremel worked great).
Attached Thumbnails
image-1916978239.jpg   image-311985678.jpg  

image-1177465000.jpg   image-380757627.jpg  

image-2168111585.jpg