Newbie's Flooring Project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Hi, all-

I've been reading through a lot of these posts and I'm very inspired. I just bought my first Scamp (2002 13 foot) about two months ago and I've slowly been making some modifications, to make it exactly what I want, and that's been a lot of fun. I've painted the cabinets white, put shelves in the closet, and I have plans to build a drawer under the bed as well as take out the front couch and build a front dinette, but that will probably be next spring.

I'm hoping I can take care of my flooring project before I have to put my Scamp into storage for the winter, but the challenge is that while I have some carpentry experience, I'm at a loss about how to start replacing the carpet with vinyl (or whatever material I choose...probably vinyl...but I'm open to other suggestions). I've never done anything like this and I'm a bit nervous. The posts I've read offer great inspiration, but I'm in need of a bit more How To. I'm hoping that some of you who have completed this project could give me some pointers about how to start, the materials I'll need, any problems that you ran into yourselves and how you fixed them. Thanks!

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Karen,

Myself and other forum members have installed Traffic Master Allure in our trailers. It's basically like linoleum planks. Here are a couple threads on it:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...1&hl=allure

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...7&hl=allure
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
I would agree. It is very easy to work with, water will not damage it and looks good. We got our floor at Home Depot
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #4

Are there any tricks to ripping up the carpet? Any do's or don'ts? I feel stupid asking, but I don't want to mess things up.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Karen,

I did my own floor after taking out the carpet in our trailer. It wasn't attached, just sitting on top of the fiberglass floor. I measured the length, knew it only came in 12ft width, used the carpet as a template, laid both on a piece of plywood under and cut it out. In 20-30 minutes, I had a new floor.

If I ever do it again, I'd do a better job at taking my time as a couple places I cut too short, but only 1/8th -1/4 of an inch at most. I used tub surround to cover the edges.

I was going to use the vinyl peel n stick wood flooring, but this floor looks like wood and was faster to put down. If I ever change my mind and want something else, all I have to do is peel off the surround, and pull the vinyl out.

Sure is easier to sweep out than having carpet..
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
same here, Trafficmaster allure. great product and soooo easy to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
allure.jpg  
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
... used the carpet as a template, laid both on a piece of plywood under and cut it out. ...
Not quit getting what your trying to say. Can you reword it?
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
if hers was like my carpet, it floats. Nothing is holding it down, so it comes up in one piece.

The sheet vinyl product is 12 foot wide. You simply lay it out on the surface you have that is big enough, lay the old carpet on top of it and follow the pattern. I traced it and then cut, but it sounds like she just cut following the carpet edge.

Roll up the vinl and place in front of the trailer floor and unroll and tuck into place.

EZ PZ.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Does anyone know if Lowes or Menard's carry anything comparable to Traffic Master Allure? We don't have a Home Depot nearby and they seem to be the only place that carries that brand. I'm looking for something that's equally easy to install and relatively impervious to water/moisture.
Thanks!
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Quote:
if hers was like my carpet, it floats. Nothing is holding it down, so it comes up in one piece.

The sheet vinyl product is 12 foot wide. You simply lay it out on the surface you have that is big enough, lay the old carpet on top of it and follow the pattern. I traced it and then cut, but it sounds like she just cut following the carpet edge.

Roll up the vinl and place in front of the trailer floor and unroll and tuck into place.

EZ PZ.

Yea, what Gina said - that's exactly what I did...and I didn't trace it, I just cut it out following the carpet lines -
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #11

I am pretty sure Traffic Master is a 'house' brand of home depots.

The carpet in our trailer was glued down in spots but the glue/foam came off very easy from the fiberglass.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If you want a perfect fit just lay paper around the outside edge of the floor area and tape together. This will be your template. Place this on your Linoleum and tape it down. Cut on the edge of the paper leave about 1/32 extra space. Should fit perfect.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #13

And is tub surround the best thing for around the edges? Or does it not need anything around the edges?

How did you all deal with the step between the floor and underneath the dinette/bed?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
And is tub surround the best thing for around the edges? Or does it not need anything around the edges?

How did you all deal with the step between the floor and underneath the dinette/bed?

Thanks so much for all your help!
I used Allure in my boler.Very easy to instal and shape.I used quarter round around the edges and kitchen/bath calk (the coloured kind to match the floor)to seal.Because the Allure is so thin it easily went across the step up.I used a metal step cover at the top of the step to cover the seam....Pat.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #15

Registry
I just used a piece of the flooring on the step up and aluminum angle on top and white paneling edging on the bottom. The carpet that was in my trailer was 25 years old and VERY dirty, so out it went.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camping_205a.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	16051
Old 10-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #16

RE: step face.

Trillium's have fiberglass floors so I left mine exposed as it looks good that way.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #17

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
[quote]I just used a piece of the flooring on the step up and aluminum angle on top and white paneling edging on the bottom. The carpet that was in my trailer was 25 years old and VERY dirty, so out it went.

Attachment 16051

Kevin, can you describe how that paneling edging is shaped and where you found it? Does it have flat edges that go under the flooring and then a rounded part that sticks up in the corner? It's hard to tell from the picture. A closeup picture of a scrap of the edging would be great if that's not too much trouble. We already bought some Traffic Master Allure that Chris is saving for a winter project. Thanks.

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Another option is to install carpet tiles. They can just be placed on the floor without being attached to it. They fit snugly enough to stay in place. If you spill something you can take the square out to clean it & let it dry. If one gets ruined, we have a few extras we can use for replacements. We prefer the feel of carpet under our feet & this has been the perfect solution for us.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #19

Registry
Maureen M.
Yes, One flat edge that goes under the flooring and then a rounded part that sticks up in the corner.
Find it at Menards,HomeDepot and Lowes in the paneling dept.

Name:	camping_214a.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	16064

Name:	camping_212a.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	16065
Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #20

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Keven, thanks! That edging looks like it would be much easier to work with around all the nooks and crannies along the edge of the floor. We'll have to look for those.

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote