Newbie to fiberglass campers - Minit to redo - HELP - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
How about one of those portable AC units, or a split unit? Personally we have never had AC in our campers, and probably only would have used one once in 25 years of fiberglass trailer camping, so I lean more toward the portable unit with a waterproof round bulkhead to place the hose through for those rare occasions AC would be needed. All the other times that the location wouldn't require AC, it could be left home.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #22

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
If you can believe it my Cloud was in much worse shape when I got it then yours is in now and it is wonderful now so keep your head up it will all be worth it in the end.

In regards to wanting a/c before you make any big purchases I have read hundreds of posts on the subject as I needed a/c as well before my big trip starting in two days and lots of people have said some of the eggs can't support the weight on the roof. Some can however it just depends on how it was built. Yours is the very first Minit I have seen (love the floor plan) but it looks to be one of those that fits into the won't support the weight category. I am no expert though I just wanted to pass on what I have read. I ended up going with the portable a/c and worked out a way to set it up nicely but since it hasn't been about 70 here yet I haven't been able to try it out so ill have to report back on performance after our trip.

I have very similar quilted vinyl like stuff on my walls as well and it was ripped in some places but looks brand new on others and I didn't want to get rid of it but had no idea how to fix it (don't judge me by this next part) so I bought white duct tape and took my time cutting even strips and fitting them over the damaged areas and honestly even though it seems like something out of the Redneck Chronicles it actually has worked really well and blends in really nice. Again just wanted to pass it on and maybe save you some money and frustrations. If I think of it on the next few days ill try and take some pictures and post them of my duct tape fix.

Tyler
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have seen vinyl repair kits at Wallmart, Home Depot, and Auto Zone, that come in a variety of colors, use a filler, a matching pattern overlay that you use a hot iron to melt this into an "invisible" repair. As for your corners, to replace your ruined wood pieces, you might try some plastic sheeting that you could shape with a heat gun or possibly a hair dryer. It could be painted after shaped. Good Luck on your projects.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
....lots of people have said some of the eggs can't support the weight on the roof. Some can however it just depends on how it was built.
This is absolutely true. If the trailer wasn't built to hold the weight, at the least the roof will bow down and leaks happen. At the most, you'll end up with a giant skylight and a floor mounted A/C.

Window mount or closet mount A/C may be a better choice, or a power fan on the roof. It depends on your camping style and needs.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #25

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
. At the most, you'll end up with a giant skylight and a floor mounted A/C.

Love the way you put it,lol.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #26

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I've never seen one of these close up, but that seam cover around the middle of the trailer sure looks like readily available rub rail like they use on boats. Anybody that wants to replace their seam cover with nice, new shiny aluminum should stop in at a West Marine. That's where I got mine for my classic boat, and it wasn't very expensive. The great thing about West Marine for rub rail is that as long as they have it in a warehouse somewhere, you don't pay shipping. All these web sources, shipping is usually more than the rub rail!

Just a thought, hope it's not too much out of line!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #27

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Theres a few threads that talk about ac in a fiberglass rv...i found that today
Dog House Air Conditioner
Woulbe agood setup to put on the tongue of the trailer...silent, provide heat and cold if needed..
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #28

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
If your going with the dog house a/c why not do the mini split a/c?
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #29

Quebec
Mini split ive seen are 100$ or more...doghouse 600$
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I am worried about only the 2500 BTUs for cooling and 1800 for heating on the dog house unit. In Texas I'm just not sure it would be enough. There may be some calculations for that on an RV but does seem slim. I'm still intrigued by the split unit though I have to admit.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #31

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
2500 BTU'S for cooling IS NOT enough.

5000BTUs seems to be the standard window in size that folks use for their 13'-17' Fiberglas trailers.

I have 6000 BTUs in my Scamp 16-- when its in direct sun and about 90 outside and then I close all of my blackout shades, run an additional circulating fan, the inside temp is still about 80+/- depending on where you measure. However, it is "adequate" as the humidity is way down inside, the air is moving a lot inside, it's shady, plus just feels nice. 4000 wouldn't cut it in 16', 2500 definitely not....
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #32

Quebec
I would think 2500 btu would be way enough for the condition i get up here in canada, considering i cool a good part of the second flooor of my house with 5000btu... Im not lookingto freeze thepkace but removing humidity and cool things down to be comfortable
Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #33

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Your right about being in Canada, that helps your case. Where you live in Canada, what are the "normal" high temps for the summer season?

Comparing cooling your house to a fiberglass trailer is not helpful. I can also cool a large section of my house with just a 5000/6000 btu's unit. Houses are typically very well insulated, probably more so up in the cold of Canada. The insulation in these trailers is almost non-existent as thin as it is. It's very similar to a large metal van sitting out in the sun, they heat up real fast in the sun and then take a lot of effort to cool down.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #34

Quebec
We usually camp in shaded area to keep things as cool as possible.
I actually never had a ac in a camper/camping setup yet.

I'm located in quebec and will trael south to places like vermont, maine, ny on a regular basis during the summer so the higher temps i get are around 35c (95f) in july.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
Your right about being in Canada, that helps your case. .
LOL Ryan contrary to popular belief the snow in Canada does melt.
Funny as it may sound the places that have the most extreme cold winters also record the extreme highs in the summer months. For example the highest temp recorded in prairie province of Saskatchewan is 45C/113 F the same province also once had a record low of -56.7C/-68.8F but thats not the coldest temp ever been recorded in Canada either

Your right though that in the coastal provinces in the summer months are cooler just as they are in the US - temps in Vancouver are normally pretty close to those found in Seattle/Portland areas - with temps rising sharply the further inland you go. Not uncommon at all for temps to get into the low 100's/f in the interior of BC for example, even coastal Vancouver can creep in the 90's/F in the summer.

Few people in the interior of Canada would survive a summer without AC in their homes.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #36

New York
I grew up in Massena NY (on the Ontario/Quebec border) & my dad would not hear of A/C, either in the house or in the car. A/C is a want up north, not a need. At least, that's what dad's take on it was.

Frank
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I grew up in Massena NY (on the Ontario/Quebec border) & my dad would not hear of A/C, either in the house or in the car. A/C is a want up north, not a need. At least, that's what dad's take on it was.

Frank
LOL well if you look at where Massena is located - not far from the Great Lakes & the Atlantic ocean on two sides of it -the Maine Coast to the East and the Hudson Bay to the North, one might expect that they would experience a bit cooler summer than someone living further away from such large bodies of water and the thermal flow from them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #38

New York
Yeah, well that was my dad, a frugal Scot. I'm Scot too, but have 5 window A/C units in the house, and of course in both vehicles. Heck, we couldn't buy vehicles without A/C nowadays. My hot rod doesn't have A/C, but lots of folks do nowadays.

Mom always wanted A/C...

Frank
Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I went to high school and graduated from Massena High School from end of 1959 to 65 era. Left there in 66 to move to NYC.
small world.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #40

New York
Maybe you knew my older brother and sister, John & Maxine Alguire? They would have been a grade or two or three ahead of you. John was a basketball star in HS, and a popular fellow. I graduated in '70 from there. And yes, it IS a small world!

Frank