Newbie to fiberglass campers - Minit to redo - HELP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #1

Name: Lesa
Trailer: Minit
Kansas
Newbie to fiberglass campers - Minit to redo - HELP

We have wanted and looked for years for a fiberglass camper.
We always had an eye out for a Scamp or a Buro.

We just days ago brought home a Minit.
We know nothing about a Minit. Never even heard of a Minit until we ran across this one.

It is in need of some repairs and fixing up.

There is some fiberglass work that needs to be done which isn't a problem.
We have to find a fridge to fit into the hole.
Some wood repair that needs to be done inside and then paint and it's good to go.

One question we have that we need help on is this:
The Minit came with a quilted vinyl type wall covering inside from the halfway point up.
However, some places, this is released from the wall and has tears here and there.

On the bottom half, there was wood that wrapped around the curve of the camper.

We are wanting advice on what to do with the quilted vinyl. I am sure that underneath it is just the raw fiberglass.

On the bottom where the wood was, what do we use for that area? What kind of covering is suggested?

Also, the doorknob has been busted up and is no good now. Have to figure out and find where to find and what kind of door knob to replace it. The one that was on it was completely sheared off. The door has been kicked open from the inside so the door is askew a bit now.
Not really sure what to do with that.

The previous owner plastered stickers all over - ALL over it so we have to sand those off prior to fiberglass and painting.

The windows have really, really old blue tinting that has cracked over the years and some how we need to get it off.

For some reason, there is only ONE window that even opens up so it is going to be extrememly hot in there! I don't understand why they woudn't open up.

Any advice, suggestions or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I am attaching photos of it as it is now.
We have removed the cushions etc from the inside. That is about all we have done so far.
llco87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #2

Kansas
Not sure how to add photos.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
hit the "post reply " button, then there is an icon that looks like a paperclip, press it. then clic "Browse" tolocate on your computer where the pics are and select the pic you want ...then click "upload" to upload the pictures. Once their uploaded click the "close this window" then select "preview post" to make sure its all good.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #4

Kansas
before photos of the minit

These are the photos of our project
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0103.jpg   IMG_0108.jpg  

IMG_0109.jpg   IMG_0125.jpg  

IMG_0115.jpg   IMG_0129.jpg  

IMG_0132.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats on your new purchase! Cute trailer, take lots of pics along the project journey! Remember, all your hard work will pay off!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Welcome Aboard! Good Luck with your project, you will be so thrilled when its done the way you want it to be, and be proud its all yours! Keep us updated with lots of photo's!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Lesa!

Changing out wall coverings is a *big* job so if you want to use the trailer this summer a quick fix for the wall covering is to just use the 3M spray adhesive to stick it back up for now. Goo Gone will take the stickers off the fiberglass - just make sure you let it sit for a good deal of time. You will find lots of threads on door repairs and door lock replacements, the brand of fiberglass trailer is not a biggy as most repairs are brand interchangeable. Use the search function at the top of the page and choose the bottom Google box for best search results.

Have fun with your new trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
oooh a MINIT! I've seen one in person, love that quilted ensolite. It was used in some years of Compacts (and kissin' cousins). Keep it, glue it, paint it, but do whatever you can to save it. Replacing it is a PITA and may not fit your camping budget.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #9

Kansas
That is what we are wanting to do too... save it.
Just have no idea of what to use to repair some of the tears that we have found.
Is there anything that can be used to repair it?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #10

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Lesa
After you try the 3m spay and get pissed off try hot glue. I did the 3m spray (stink) and got no where. Then it hit me, hot glue gun. Worked great for me and cheaper than the spray can. On the seams I put the outdoor pvc trim from HD. Cheap and easy to work with. Also used the hot glue gun. On the really curve areas I used a hair dryer to soften the pvc and then hot glue and as it cooled of it stayed in place. The pvc trim came in a wood trim look but I painted mine.
If you go with the spray can make sure you wear a mask because that stuff is nasty!
Just my 2 cents.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Lesa
I put the outdoor pvc trim from HD. Cheap and easy to work with. Also used the hot glue gun. On the really curve areas I used a hair dryer to soften the pvc and then hot glue and as it cooled of it stayed in place. The pvc trim came in a wood trim look but I painted mine.

Would like to see a picture or two of the HD trim on the interior Shawn. Would be interesting to see how if blends in.
Thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #12

Florida
This is the only area where I had to use the hair dryer to get this bend. I haven't taken pics after I painted it. Just used the hot glue gun and held it on for about 15 secs then it stayed. I did try the spray and I give it thumbs down for me.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0182.JPG  
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
People sometimes caulk the ensolite (vinyl) seams with good results. Might work on your tears after you re-glue. The door handle looks like a Scamp handle, or at least pretty close and they sell those at the Scamp store.

You might want to take close up pictures of door handle and inside latch mechanism and see if others concure. If people think it is close or will work you can always measure and call Scamp or ask someone with a Scamp to provide their measurements and screw hole locations.

3M Stripe Off wheel is great for removing old decals, logo and stripes.
3M-7498 STRIPE WHEEL W/ARBOR - Amazon.com I did a complete stip of my scamp in around an hour.
Be prepared for the surface to be weathered different under those decals, you will have some "ghosts" to deal with before painting.

Fiberglass repair on a trailer there is this very informative thread from awhile ago.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-52498-5.html

Congratulations on being the loving owners of a very unique trailer. Do post about the repairs and such that you do. Next Minit owner that shows up will be most appreciative.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #14

Kansas
where exactly in your camper is this photo?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #15

Kansas
I'm going out there now and work on it for a bit. I am going to try the glue gun. Sounds much easier.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #16

Florida
If your asking me about the pic, it is on the left side of the door as you step in
Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #17

Kansas
Not familiar with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
People sometimes caulk the ensolite (vinyl) seams with good results. Might work on your tears after you re-glue. The door handle looks like a Scamp handle, or at least pretty close and they sell those at the Scamp store.

You might want to take close up pictures of door handle and inside latch mechanism and see if others concure. If people think it is close or will work you can always measure and call Scamp or ask someone with a Scamp to provide their measurements and screw hole locations.

3M Stripe Off wheel is great for removing old decals, logo and stripes.
3M-7498 STRIPE WHEEL W/ARBOR - Amazon.com I did a complete stip of my scamp in around an hour.
Be prepared for the surface to be weathered different under those decals, you will have some "ghosts" to deal with before painting.

Fiberglass repair on a trailer there is this very informative thread from awhile ago.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-52498-5.html

Congratulations on being the loving owners of a very unique trailer. Do post about the repairs and such that you do. Next Minit owner that shows up will be most appreciative.
I am not familiar with this Stripe Off wheel. I am not sure how this works.
Can you explain a bit?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by llco87 View Post
I am not familiar with this Stripe Off wheel. I am not sure how this works.
Can you explain a bit?
It's a rubber wheel with a shaft you put in a drill. Designed for removal of auto and boat stripes and decals.

Rubber is very much like those tan/light brown erasers but denser.

Tips
  • keep the drill speed fairly low, wheel comes with recommended speed on packaging
  • make sure the surface has been washed and rinsed, to avoid rubbing surface with dirt or grit that will scratch.
  • be gentle and keep moving.
  • on larger decals it sometimes helps to change direction from time to so that wheel rubs vertical for a bit than turn and run horizontal.
YouTube video of one being used to remove pin stripe from car.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #19

Kansas
Well, day is done with work on the Minit.
I have to say, and no offense to those of you that smoke. but, smoking is a disgusting, nasty habit and it leave gross layers of tar on the walls and ceiling.

I went through 4 buckets of water and half a bottle of Greased Lightning cleaning the walls and ceiling tonight.

But, we got it done and it is now drying. Tomorrow, we are going to do another wipe down and then work on some painting. Hubs has to cut some paneling to try to fit into the curving at the ends. That should be interesting as wood doesn't bend very well before it snaps but the wood that was there was ruined and had to be removed.
Water had gotten in and had for some time it looks like and it ruined it.

The previous owner was a nasty person and obviously didn't appreciate this awesome camper. It is sad.

So, we are trying to remove the damage done (and the nasty smells that he left behind). Clorox is helping with the smells.

I will post more photos of our progress. Keep in mind, this is a diamond in the rough.
We are shining it up though.

Oh! I forgot to mention, inside the camper is a butane light. It still had the original asbestos shield on it. However, the light itself was broken at some point and is gone.
So, we are going to remove it all together. I don't feel comfortable using that anyway.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #20

Kansas
A/C on a Minit?

What are the thoughts on this -

we are thinking that we would like to have an A/C in the camper.
would this be an easy task to install one on the roof?
I don't really like the idea of a window unit.