News - Scamp moving to screw-jack stabilizers on new trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
News - Scamp moving to screw-jack stabilizers on new trailers

Just FYI -

We recently visited the Scamp factory and found out that Scamp is no longer using the fold-down bumper-mounted stabilizers (Atwood?) on new Scamp trailers.

The new stabilizers are apparently from the same parent company as the B.A.L. stabilizers and are a single-leg system (I.e. not the scissor-jack type system). The new stabilizers bolt onto tabs welded to the trailer frame. They appear to be pretty sturdy and they seem to operate fairly easily.
[emoji4]

I’m afraid I can’t provide any/much more information than that ..... at least not for a while. (Maybe later I can provide a few pix?)

Anyone picking up a new Scamp in the coming weeks/months shouldn’t be too surprised to see the new stabilizers on their trailers.

Safe and happy travels to all! [emoji3]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Ray, do you know if they fold up, completely out of the way like the old ones? Or do they pose a potential low clearance issue like some screw jacks?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
stabilizer.jpg  
Old 08-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Yes, they're BAL jacks, and they shouldn't create a clearance issue. They do hang 1-1/2" or so below the frame when fully retracted, but they are mounted forward under the cabin, so they should not reduce the departure angle at the back of the trailer.

I'm guessing a tool is required to crank them down? That's the one thing I like about the Atwoods- no tools required.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
this is the lightweight trailer jacks that BAL is now selling.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

they have a couple of accessories to use with it, a stabilizing arm from the foot of the jack to the underside of the trailer. Also round, wide, foot pads.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

Missouri
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	123698

They seem to fold up almost completely out of the way; not much/any clearance issue.

As described in k-corbin’s link, they do supply a spinning handle for extension. I suppose a ratchet and socket would work too. Careless use of an electric drill & socket reportedly would void a warranty.

The new stabilizers mount to the frame forward of the bumper and do not conflict with the old bumper-mounted Atwood’s ... if you wanted to carry the extra weight of having both.

The Atwoods required a bar to tension them or a drop-the-nose-extend-stabilizers-raise-nose maneuver. On our trailer, they were hard to reach and pull out to fold down. They sometimes slipped overnight and released tension .... and they sometimes wobbled and squeaked.

Ray
Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida

This brace is a good idea to use with the levelers

The issue I have is the wiggle with the Attwoods and really most of the other fixes as well.
That brace (option) would help.
Personally I have been using small hydraulic jacks from Harbor Freight under the frame close in front of the axle which takes the wiggle and the bounce completely out.
Short solid and firmly connected to the ground.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Ray, I've not had any of the issues you describe with the Atwoods. I do the tongue dip and raise routine, so no tools and minimal bending.

I'm sure I'd be equally happy with the BAL jacks, though maybe not with the added cost.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Currently I have four Attwood stabilizers, the two under the rear bumper and I added two in the front.
I lower the front and attempt to level as much as possible with uneven lengths to bring it closer.
After raising level I raise the front a little more and drop the two front levelers and them lower the front to put the trailer on the stands.
With the lack of side to side stiffness the trailer will still wiggle as one moves around in the trailer.
Triangulating with the braces would help a lot.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
The [original used] Atwoods required a bar to tension them or a drop-the-nose-extend-stabilizers-raise-nose maneuver. On our trailer, they were hard to reach and pull out to fold down. They sometimes slipped overnight and released tension .... and they sometimes wobbled and squeaked.

Ray
A note for users of the Atwood stabilizers that have been used on Scamps for eons...

Admitted I only have three years of experience with them and perhaps they don't work so well after more years, but they have worked well for me with one exception worth mentioning....

I usually use the later technique that Ray mentioned:
Level trailer, drop nose three to five turns, drop rear stabilizers, return to trailer to level .
But on occasion I have used the steel bar that Scamp supplied. And that is when I had a problem. The bar distorted the thin section of metal between the holes, as shown in the photo, and then the jack would not retract. I was able to straighten it out and now it is fine.

But the lesson for me is to not use the bar on the stabilizers, drop the tongue just a little, drop the rear stabilizers, and put a just a little tension on them by raising the front.

If the attached Atwood stabilizers don't work at a particular location then the lightweight Aluminum Stack Jacks work. I also use one or sometimes on the front when I want the trailer extra-stable.

⚠ BTW, I have never had a Atwood drop while on the road but I do use a bungee as extra insurance that they stay up at 65 MPH.
Attached Thumbnails
AtwoodJackProblem.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #11

Missouri
We had the Atwood’s on two previous pop-up trailers and on our Scamp13.

On our Scamp13, in addition to the wiggle and squeak, we did have the spot welds on the bottom foot/plate break and that plate disappeared somewhere ... had to replace the whole stabilizer.

New BAL stabilizers appear to be VERY stabile. Almost no movement or squeaks.[emoji4] And .... my wife can do them by herself. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Ray
Old 08-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #12

Missouri
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	123702
Old 08-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Just FYI -

We recently visited the Scamp factory and found out that Scamp is no longer using the fold-down bumper-mounted stabilizers (Atwood?) on new Scamp trailers.

The new stabilizers are apparently from the same parent company as the B.A.L. stabilizers and are a single-leg system (I.e. not the scissor-jack type system). The new stabilizers bolt onto tabs welded to the trailer frame. They appear to be pretty sturdy and they seem to operate fairly easily.
[emoji4]

I’m afraid I can’t provide any/much more information than that ..... at least not for a while. (Maybe later I can provide a few pix?)

Anyone picking up a new Scamp in the coming weeks/months shouldn’t be too surprised to see the new stabilizers on their trailers.

Safe and happy travels to all! [emoji3]

Ray
We get too soon old, and too late smart! Good for them.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #14

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
jacks

WE have the Atwood jacks on our rig..I understand Casita NOW is coming out w screw-type jacks. We have had minimal problems w the Atwoods..so far.
2 weeks ago we did use a separate screw jack(from my truck) to lift and allow us to rebalance our Casita while at a campsite on a 'side slope'...rather than hitching up and moving the thing 1 foot!!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #15

Name: Randy
Trailer: Scamp 13
Colorado
Quote:
Ray, I'm wondering what size BAL stabilizer you have? I mistakenly used the supplied bar on the Atwoods mounted on my 2017 Scamp 13. Now one is distorted. I'd rather just switch like you did. Did you need to drill new holes for the BAL stabilizers?
Randy701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #16

Name: Randy
Trailer: Scamp 13
Colorado
Thanks for the picture of the Atwood issue... One less thing to figure out as I have a stabilizer (broken) that looks distorted just like the picture. Did you just pound it back flat or was there heat involved???
Randy701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #17

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy701 View Post
Ray, I'm wondering what size BAL stabilizer you have? I mistakenly used the supplied bar on the Atwoods mounted on my 2017 Scamp 13. Now one is distorted. I'd rather just switch like you did. Did you need to drill new holes for the BAL stabilizers?
Randy,

I would call Scamp and ask what they are using for the Scamp13 trailers.

Our trailer is a Scamp16 Deluxe and all the Scamp16 trailers sit higher off
of the ground than the Scamp13 trailers. (our previous trailer was a 2014 Scamp13.)

We stopped at the Scamp factory on our way home from the Boler 50th
anniversary event. While there, I had Scamp install the new stabilizers on
our trailer.

As previously stated, "The new stabilizers are apparently from the same
parent company as the B.A.L. stabilizers and are a single-leg system (i.e.
not the scissor-jack type system). The new stabilizers bolt onto tabs
that are welded to the trailer frame. (There is a cross member part of the
frame that is under the body and just ahead of the rear bumper)"

They told me that the job would likely be easier since I'd ordered/installed
the 2" receiver on the back of our trailer.

Good luck!

Ray
Old 09-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
The Casita factory just switched from the Atwood stabilizers and went to the BAL scissor jacks earlier this year as well. I personally never liked the Atwood's that much. I thought they were a pain to deploy, required a lot more maintenance to keep them running free, and were not nearly as convenient to run down and retract as the BAL scissor jacks. I've already replaced my two rear Atwoods (OE) with 4 scissor jacks all around. (They didn't install the scissor jacks back when I bought my trailer 10 years ago.)
Attached Thumbnails
frontjackstep.JPG   rearjack.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin