No Dump Porta Pottie - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Lyle, you had an idea, figured it out, got it to work, and took the time to share with us. Thank you. Good job. To the critics, show us what you've done. Perhaps we'll be kinder to you. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not all criticism is bad. Some just causes you to reconsider solutions, looking at the problem from another angle.
I prefer constructive criticism to cheer leading.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #23

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
took the time to share with us. Raz
Thanks. I've gotten a lot of good information and advice here over the years and try to incrementally add to the knowledge base as I can.
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Another potential issue:
I've read on the forum, but not experienced that some parks require the use of a 'donut', a device that seals the septic dump pipe to the slinky hose.
That obviously wouldn't work with a garden hose.
Don't know if those parks have 'donut police'.
Glenn this Camco item http://www.etrailer.com/static/image..._0015_1000.jpg is for connecting the garden hose type gray/black water sewer lines to the rv sewer pipe or dump station. A common item with some pop up campers. I use this setup for the shower drain in my Boler (grey water only) with rv sewer drains in campsites...when they are not available I use a Zebra portable gray waste water tank shown here: http://orderzebrarv.com/prodimages/R7701-400.jpg
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I only saw the outer donut at Camping World site.
I figure if I don't hook up the slinky until I actually have to dump ( a five minute job ), that nobody is going to notice that I'm not using the donut.
I think that donut and the requirement to have one is intended for those who leave their slinky hose out for the duration of their stay, allowing sewer gases to escape 24/7.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
If a sani-dump is those wheeled plastic tanks then I personally consider them just a larger tank of sh#* tco haul around.
clyle can you easily disconnect the mascerator line from the thedford in the event you need to dump it in a toilet or dump station the normal way for a porta pottie? I like your setup so much I am considering doing the same, I have a 5 gallon model but it has the accordion style fresh water siphon for flushing and would like to add an electric pump with push button for flushing...I also considered the rolling waste tanks but to me they are way over priced but in the camping area at walmart they carry a water tank that has the same look and grayish color but no wheels which I believe holds 6 gallons and it is only about $12...here it is on amaon Amazon.com: Hopkins 50863 FloTool 6.5 Self Venting Water Can: Automotive

another thing I thought of was to put some sort of trap inside the porta pottie to allow it to function like a household toilet works but not sure if you could get or design one to fit in the tank but that may require to much water when boondocking
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:23 AM   #27

Michigan
Registry
Johnny. As it stands now it would be difficult, but not impossible to remove the Theford from its maserator plumbing to dump it in the "normal" Porta Pottie way.
Partly because of the design of the model of Theford that I used and partly the difficulty in disconnecting the plumbing. The Theford 260P is a marine toilet. To conform to marine sanitation standards it is designed to be permanently mounted and mechanically pumped out. You can always find a way around these things, but the basic design makes it difficult to take out, hauled somewhere by hand and dumped. Fine with me, that's what I wanted.
In the event that I might find myself in a situation where the 2.6 gal black water tank was insufficient and I was/could not connect to a sewer system, I could (and very much would not want to) pump the Theford into a container and haul THAT to some dump place. It's a contingency, but not one I see happening.
As for mods? Hey, go for it. Everything can be improved or changed to suit your situation.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #28

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
awesome ! If I ever get permission to resume work on my 13'r I fantasized about doing something simlilar " down the proverbial road ", using a swivel connection through the floor and mounting the macerator under the trailer. Yours is a much simpler straight forward design Great job !
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #29

Michigan
Registry
Originally, I was going to mount the maserator outside. But the macerator was smaller than I thought and it easily fit under the seat alongside the toilet. It also looked better to drill 1 inch hole in the trailer for the exit hose than a 1 1/2-2 inch hole for the intake hose. Also and more importantly, because the toilet slides out from beneath the front seat, it was easier to find a flex 1 inch hose than a flex 1 1/2 hose.
One thing I haven't mentioned is that (paranoid fellow that I am) I'm a bit nervous about the hoses, clamps and connectors that are all that stands between me and a really, really messy accident should one fail. One good thing about the good old-fashioned Porta Pottie is that they are simple.
My next iteration is to mount the toilet such that it does not have to move which should make it less prone to failure. Fewer moving parts and all.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I installed a Macerator in my scamp with an * gallon black tank and the 26 gallon gray,
Here is a picture of the macerator under the drivers side floor front.

I took the pump apart and turned the outlet where it would go through the floor and through the cabinet to the reel in the next compartment.

Here is the powered reel for the discharge hose 1" There is a ball valve on the end and an elbow to make it sit in the dump port.
There is about 20 feet of hose on the reel and the electric motor winds it back up.
The white and blue hose is the drain line from the shower drain pump on the curb side under the floor.

Above is the dump valve and the valve to the macerator pump from the front feed. The rear has a similar tap and valve.
I made the 2" tap by cutting into the 3" line with a hole saw and gluing and building it up with ABS cement and ground up ABS
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #31

Michigan
Registry
Nice. Did your Scamp already have a bathroom? What type of toilet did you use? Do you have a black water holding tank? Where did you put a 26 gal grey water tank?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #32

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My Scamp had a side bath and it was too low to even think about for my wife.
The floors were rotten etc.
The black tank is below the bath floor in a space I added when I remade the front of the frame especially for the new front bath.

The finished bath looks like this

This whole project was driven by the wife's desire for headroom in the bath and twin beds so one didn't have to climb over the other to use in the middle of the night.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #33

Michigan
Registry
Wow! I'm just making little changes. You just Re-did it all! Something like what you did is my ultimate goal.

Tags
trillium