Off Road Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Name: Thane
Trailer: Escape
Off Road Scamp 5th Wheel

I thought folks would find this heavily modified Scamp of interest.
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/scamp...f-road-camper/

Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Off Road Scamp 5th Wheel

It was for sale on Utah Craigslist several years ago, not long after that build article surfaced. Haven’t heard what happened to it after that. Kind of puzzling someone would go to that much trouble and then sell.

The lounge chairs at the back are interesting. Comfortable after a long day of rock climbing maybe, but they reduce utility substantially by eliminating extra sleeping spots. A futon that slides out to make a bed would be nearly as comfortable.

Lots of good ideas. Very heavy. A 13’er can be manually turned around if you get into a really tight spot.

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
As cool as they are, most of these are passion projects, not practical projects. Aside from the "cool", show-off factor (which I'm not really criticizing, as we're all guilty of it on some level), most of these projects are because someone has money and time and motivation. Not because they're building something that functions the way they and the articles about them like to claim.

Anyone who really spends time in the remote, rugged backcountry knows any trailer is not the appropriate equipment. They are making some high-clearance pop-ups now, but any trailer at all is going to be limiting on certain roads. A tent is still your best bet. Not very glamorous though...

I'll admit though, after watching some of Raspy's videos in the desert, I know a trailer the size of a Scamp 19 can handle some pretty crazy roads.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #4

Montana
Registry
As cool as they are, most of these are passion projects, not practical projects and people move on. Aside from the "cool", show-off factor (which I'm not really criticizing, as we're all guilty of it on some level), most of these projects are because someone has money and time and motivation. Not because they're building something that functions the way they and the articles about them like to claim.

Anyone who really spends time in the remote, rugged backcountry knows any trailer is not the appropriate equipment. They are making some high-clearance pop-ups now, but any trailer at all is going to be limiting on certain roads. A tent is still your best bet. Not very glamorous though...

I'll admit though, after watching some of Raspy's videos in the desert, I know a trailer the size of a Scamp 19 can handle some pretty crazy roads.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #5

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
As cool as they are, most of these are passion projects, not practical projects. Aside from the "cool", show-off factor (which I'm not really criticizing, as we're all guilty of it on some level), most of these projects are because someone has money and time and motivation. Not because they're building something that functions the way they and the articles about them like to claim.

There are some inventive folks out there doing truck topper conversions for overlanding, and some outfits selling ready-to-mount toppers with pop-up sleeping areas on top. These are substantially lighter than true slide-in campers (only a few hundred pounds) and they claim to be suitable for 1/2 ton and midsize trucks. Never used one, but it seems like that would be a good cross between functionality, convenience, and comfort if you can afford to lose the bed space. They come at a steep price for what you get, but not $25,000 steep like the mods to that Scamp.

I suppose until I find a pile of money, the tent will have to do!
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #6

Montana
Registry
Yep. Yeah I agree there are some good options there.

At first I was only thinking of the large slide-ins, which really move your center of gravity higher. But with the right skills, they're workable.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The lounge chairs at the back are interesting. Comfortable after a long day of rock climbing maybe, but they reduce utility substantially by eliminating extra sleeping spots.
We discussed the grandkids when we bought the Escape and agreed that hosting them camping was not something we wanted to do. We enjoy seeing them in other venues, including family camping trips where they tent with their folks. But, in general, trailer time is our time.

Also, I guess my desire for more-comfortable seating in a trailer is by now well-known on this forum. I have some ideas I look forward further to exploring once I'm fully retired and our current remodel project is completed.

Tags
scamp