Off to chop up the Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
At the Oregon Gathering, I saw SO many 13s with the front dinette mod. I actually had only seen Lizs until then, and the jury was out at the time..

The more I see them, the more I like. Seeing that there ISN"T that much loss of space, I am goin' ahead with it.. but in a fashion I can reverse (Like most of them are.)

Porta Potti can live under the bed, Dogs can lounge ON the bed instead of stinkin up my goucho, and I don't have to futz and worry about the cushion coverings as much. I saw some chaise lounge padded covers in the right color I am going to chop to bits to make the seats.. off to Lowes!!!

(Wheres my Credit card???)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Happy chopping!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 13 ft Scamp
Gina are there any pic's of the mod your talking about? You have sparked my interest.

Thanks, Clint

ps. I went to see the Trails West Camper you had given me the link to. It was very nice but my wife thought it was too small, so it will be a 13' egg. Thanks Again!
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #4

Registry
The bed is done, that was easy. It's it's normal set up with the big table down and the cushions in place. I put foam on top of that and have two of the same 25 degree bags that are rather festive made into one big double bag (Well, it will be when I get down to Freds to get one of them back)

The front table is already up. That was fairly easy as the former owner FINISHED the cubby covers just like the cabinet doors, in maple, so the piece was already cut, trimmed and finished

Hey, take the easy way out when you can.

I used the pole and sockets from the big table. Have to stop at Camping World and get new ones in case I ever want the big table up again, to seat more than three.

I am working on the cushions now.. also will be easy, but I will save the pics til a little later. I only came inside to cool off in the shower.. for the 3rd time today.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Cant wait to see your new mods!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
The bed is done, that was easy. It's it's normal set up with the big table down and the cushions in place. I put foam on top of that and have two of the same 25 degree bags that are rather festive made into one big double bag (Well, it will be when I get down to Freds to get one of them back)

The front table is already up. That was fairly easy as the former owner FINISHED the cubby covers just like the cabinet doors, in maple, so the piece was already cut, trimmed and finished

Hey, take the easy way out when you can.

I used the pole and sockets from the big table. Have to stop at Camping World and get new ones in case I ever want the big table up again, to seat more than three.

I am working on the cushions now.. also will be easy, but I will save the pics til a little later. I only came inside to cool off in the shower.. for the 3rd time today.
Gina, if it's anywhere near as hot there as it is here, you must be melting! I can't wait to see pics of what you are doing. I too, am curious about the modification.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #7

Registry
It has cooled down to 90

OK.. Here is what I USED to have:

Click image for larger version

Name:	boredbeagles.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	4159

a place that the dogs lived on and a very heavy cushion that added to my tongue weight, collected "stuff, and in general, was not usable unless the kids stayed home (That doesn't happen often.)

This is what I have NOW:

Name:	dinette2.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	4161

A bigger table, but not the monstrosity the Burro supplies, a place for 3 to eat (With an extra chair) and an area closer to the heater, which is directly opposite the seat with the door under it there.

I can leave my computer set up, no tearing down at nite and stowing on the kitchen counter, and with my swing TV opposite the dinette, I can watch movies etc from either the bed, or the table.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette1.jpg  
Old 07-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #8

Registry
The table top was already made. It was the support between the two seats. As mentioned earlier, I simply used the hardware from the big table to fasten it. I had to add a spacer to the bottom so the screws would not penetrate the top. A bit of my nieghbors excess flooring scrap did the trick.

Name:	dinette7.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	4162

I glued the scrap on and drilled, put the socket on. The I inserted the pole, fastened the floor socket to it, positioned the floor socket, drilled and installed hardware. I used caulk in to screw holes just in case they went thru the floor to the outside world. Didn't look like they did tho.

As you can see, the former owner went a little overboard on the cubby covers.. his work.. my gain.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette6.jpg  
Old 07-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #9

Registry
Those cubby covers are a little crunchy. I did NOT want to butcher the gaucho cushion, so I went in search of an alternative.

Ended up with 4 2x22x22 foam craft squares from Micheals Crafts. I stacked 2 together for each cushion and cut out the contour for the curve at the wall..

On top you see doubled sided foam tape.. I am using this to secure the covering I bought. Cant sew for.. uhm.. beans, so I used a cut a square and tuck method. The tape is gooey and real sticky.. keeps the covering from sliding on the foam. (Yes, it really works!)

Name:	dinette8.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	4164

I took the car upholstry racing red faux leather and wraped and tucked.. leaving me with this:
Attached Thumbnails
dinette9.jpg  
Old 07-23-2006, 10:38 PM   #10

Registry
Even tho the foam width was a perfect fit for the seat, there still is a sizable gap behind. My solution was a couple therapuetic pillows I had lying around. They are the same foam, but 4 inches thick. A perfect fit to fill the gap.

Name:	dinette10.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	4166

I cut each pillow so there would be a backrest and a small arm rest. This worked out perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette3.jpg  
Old 07-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

... and it don't L K "chopped" at all.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #12

Registry
Now, as mentioned earlier.. I can't sew.. the flying monkeys are better at it than me..

BUT, even tho I have this female domestic malfunction, I CAN do what ALL women can do from birth. Wrap Presents.. I used this ingrained skill to cover the pillow foam.

Using rag rugs and red cording, I made little packages. Everything is double knotted and tied at the junctions. It will be holding together for the cockroaches to enjoy after the holocaust

Name:	dinette4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	4168

Thanks Liz.. an offshoot of the rug idea comes to life!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #13

Registry
Table and hardware = $0 (already had it)
Price of foam = $24
Obnoxious Red Covering = $40 (I have enough to cover all the other cushions under the bed, to keep them dry in case of window leaks)
Rag rugs = $1 each (Big Lots!!!!)
Big fluffy bed I don't have to manufacture every nite = Priceless.

Name:	fluffybed.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	4169

Don't look at that Porta Potty and junk under there. Pete will be making me a dust ruffle shortly.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:44 AM   #14

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gina... I am SO disappointed... your job looks great. It a pro upholstery job. I looks like a factory install. It'll work perfectly. It improves the Burro tremendously. It's just that I was expecting... well... I dunno... a CHOP job... like:

Name:   chopped_2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  11.8 KB

or...

Name:	49Mercury.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	4171

You know... CHOPPED!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #15

Registry
Rog, I already did that.. It's a transformer deal..

I put the wheel on the tongue jack and crank that sucker up as far as it will go!

Works great in a crowd of Harleys.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks GREAT Gina! You must be one determined lady to work in this heat The most I could accomplish yesterday was turning the pages of a novel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Very impressive Gina!!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Ah, Gina - what a terrific job with your mod! It looks wonderful and seems to be such a practical improvement for the way you use your Egg.

Hmmm - what Donna said, too ... so much energy in the heat! We spent most of yesterday helping a son & dad team (from the Sacramento area, where it was 119 or something!) with preparations to haul our '55 Spartan restoration project which they are "adopting". Phew, had to take lots of water breaks in the shade or in the house with the swamp cooler churning our coolness. We are glad this gem will shine again ... we just ran out of resources & inspiration at the same time.

It was a pleasure to meet face-to-face at the Gathering, and wish there had been more time for just visiting ... future meets and other campgrounds down the road, eh?

Take care & don't melt! L 'n D
Old 07-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Wow! Gina, that looks spectacular. I especially love how you did the pillows with the cording. Very cool! The whole modification looks professional.

And your dogs are sooooo cute.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
Don't look at that Porta Potty and junk under there. Pete will be making me a dust ruffle shortly.
It looks great Gina and is such a better use of the space in my opinion (unless the kids are bigger than your little furry ones!!)

Regarding the mess under your bed ... LOL... this is what I did to disguise mine- 1/2 yard of fabric and one tension curtain road and voila!

Name:	dust_ruffle.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	4186

Yes, it has the dreaded sewing, but just a few very basic straight seams! OR... I just happened to think, if you used a couple more of those rag rugs I'll bet you could just weave the tension rod in between every few inches and have no sewing at all!

Name:	idea.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	4187

Jaye
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro