Okay, when the time comes where do you start first? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Okay, when the time comes where do you start first?

Okay, when the time comes to begin working on the Scamp, which do you recommend, the interior first than the exterior or the other way around. Secondly if you start on the inside (I'm replacing the Rat Fur) is the wiring the first thing, than the floor and lastly the Rat Fur? Just need a little help here, also when filling in the hair line cracks, do you sand first than prime it than fill it and sand or do you just prime (no sanding) and fill in the cracks? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Guy
I will be replacing windows as well.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Grandma FuddyDuddy sez: Start at the ground and work your way up!

In the excitement of new ownership, too many folks neglect the most basic basics of all: tires, suspension, hitch, frame, tow lights, brakes. Not much fun, but since those are the things that are most likely to be safety issues, I think that's the place to start.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Are you going to paint the whole trailer outside? Why replace the ratfur?
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
when filling in the hair line cracks, do you sand first than prime it than fill it and sand or do you just prime (no sanding) and fill in the cracks?
I'd get the cracks cleaned out, then fill to get the best bond to the fiberglass, followed by sand & prime.

This time of year in Georgia I'd probably do the outside first before it gets so hot.........

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Grandma FuddyDuddy sez: Start at the ground and work your way up!

In the excitement of new ownership, too many folks neglect the most basic basics of all: tires, suspension, hitch, frame, tow lights, brakes. Not much fun, but since those are the things that are most likely to be safety issues, I think that's the place to start.

Francesca
Tires seem to be pretty new, the hitch and frame likewise look fine, the lights are good, and the Scamp doesn't have any brakes that I am aware of. But I am having the wheels checked and packed with grease as needed, can't be too careful.
Thanks for the imput
Guy
Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Are you going to paint the whole trailer outside? Why replace the ratfur?
Eddie
The Rat Fur is in terrible shape and coming apart at the seams and falling off the wall, as for repainting the outside of the trailer. I'm going to fill all the cracks sand it than perhaps keep it looking like an original Scamp. However, I did see one that was painted metallic gun metal grey and it looked "Bad to the Bone". But that's quite a piece down the road.
Thanks
Guy
Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Defiantly outside first. Check replace wheel bearings, tres if there more than 4 years old. Check axel & frame for issues. Replace battery if its more than 5 years old or the PO ran it right down more than a few times. Check for loose rivets & replace. Check roof vents & pull out and reset if needed. Have the propane system checked out. Get the running lights working & update the tail lights to LED. Then spend a summer camping in it before you change anything.

The window type on your trailer are BTW one item that many here wish they could still order for a new trailer - once you have spent a day camping in the rain you will realize why that is ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #8

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd get the cracks cleaned out, then fill to get the best bond to the fiberglass, followed by sand & prime.

This time of year in Georgia I'd probably do the outside first before it gets so hot.........

Charlie Y
So you don't sand it? even if they are hairline cracks? Than fill it, etc. The work won't begin until either the middle of September/End of.
Thanks
Guy
Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Defiantly outside first. Check replace wheel bearings, tres if there more than 4 years old. Check axel & frame for issues. Replace battery if its more than 5 years old or the PO ran it right down more than a few times. Check for loose rivets & replace. Check roof vents & pull out and reset if needed. Have the propane system checked out. Get the running lights working & update the tail lights to LED. Then spend a summer camping in it before you change anything.

The window type on your trailer are BTW one item that many here wish they could still order for a new trailer - once you have spent a day camping in the rain you will realize why that is ;-)
The windows are a must, the question than becomes, do I do the work or do I invest and have it done professionally. I can replace the screens myself as I do it quite often during the year. I'm surprised no one said to run the wiring first, outlets, ac, speakers etc., of course after the rat fur is removed.
Thanks
Guy
Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #10

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I wrote out a list of everything that needed to be done, then put it in order. Many things depended on others, those that didn't I jumped between as I hit obstacles or was waiting on parts.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You didn't indicate the age of the trailer. I agree with Donna D ... consider it a hard tent on wheels. I'm a functional type of guy. I'd look after the functional first, comfort second and glamour last.
I agree with the list for sequencing, rather than duplicating efforts and factor in your time and workplace vis~a~vis when you want to use it. For example it will take some time to do both the rat fur and exterior. Both will benefit having the windows out to do a real good job.
We don't know how handy you are. As Nelmes suggested, make a list of everything that needs doing then add in with how comfortable or capable you are of doing it and post the list. You will have a better idea of how to proceed.

If it helps, we spent the first summer with duct tape on the roof patching a hole while we worked on other more important functional issues.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
The windows are a must, the question than becomes, do I do the work or do I invest and have it done professionally.
Guy
OK the questions to you is why do you feel the windows are a must? Have you priced out the cost of new ones yet? Are you aware of the downside to the newer styles you are considering?

As far as why people are suggesting you stick with the safety stuff first is due to having seen many new to fiberglass trailer folks jump in and start ripping things apart and throwing things away and then regretting after the fact they didnt take the time to get to know the trailer and the reasons for things being as they are or what works well while camping and what doesn't or having done their homework first as to what products may or many not be available to them to do the changes they thought they should do.

We're just trying to send you out to have some fun for awhile and not end up with a whole lot of pain & buyers remorse, due to having done a whole lot of changes a little to fast. Happens more often than you may think
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #13

Name: Kd
SouthEast
Registry
I'm glad you asked this. I'm at a loss on where to begin myself. I'm going to have to do lots and lots of research.

My first thing is getting her home...i'm sure i'll be white knuckling the wheel and knees shaking. I'm used to pulling a popup so it's not the pulling that i'm worried about. It's the fact that i don't know anything about this Scamp.
_Scamp87_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I agree with Chris. I took a white board and erasable pens and wrote down everything I could think of on my own and after going through these forums. Look at some of the work by Robert Johans and his threads he put here. Then I numbered in logical (mine) order of what to do and when. I too started with wheels,bearings etc. I would share my list via PM but would not do to put in on the thread as it will only create controversy and I dont want that. Its just the way I listed my order.
Good Luck
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As far as why people are suggesting you stick with the safety stuff first is due to having seen many new to fiberglass trailer folks jump in and start ripping things apart and throwing things away and then regretting after the fact they didnt take the time to get to know the trailer and the reasons for things being as they are or what works well while camping and what doesn't or having done their homework first as to what products may or many not be available to them to do the changes they thought they should do.
We have one going right NOW that addresses what Carol mentioned. Slow down, use the trailer, do ONE thing at a time.

If you have doubts to this tiny bit of wisdom, check out this story: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ues-58643.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #16

Georgia
Hi Donna D

Its been awhile since I posted, but I began working on my Scamp, you will see it in the forums.
I read the thread about the Bolar, can't help but feel for the guy.
Its good advice to tackle one project at a time.
Its just what I am about to do.
Guy
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I saw your thread Guy and will follow along on your rehab!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote