One more Restore of an Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1975 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
One more Restore of an Egg

Well.. with the finishing of the 1973 Boler.. I was keeping a look out for another one for this coming fall / winter. and I found it.. A 1979 Acorn / Scamp? Just says Acorn. I'm finding out more as I go.. does not seam to be much info on these.. But there are boler bloodlines in the body.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180601_151119_001.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	120171

I had to travel quite a distance to fetch this little gem.. so I used a trailer to carry the trailer.. rather than towing the unknown. Good thing I did that.. It's quite sad.. and needs alot of work before it hits the road.. But the price was right for such work. Just look at the interior !

Name:	20180603_193058.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	120173
It's been stripped out and the floor is bad.. Frame is good ...floor bad. So this will be a bit different work for sure. All the bits are there, and in fairly good condition. for now it's tarpped and will wait till Fall to start..

Name:	20180603_195733.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	120174

Old 06-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Rob, after following your excellent restoration on the Boler, I look forward to watching you turn this one into a little gem as well.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
When Eveland's Inc. began selling Scamp trailers they were sued by the company that made "Scamper" trailers for using a name that was too similar. Until the matter was settled, Eveland's called their first trailers "Acorn".
Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Thanks that does make sense.. everyone refers to these as Scamp's.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One more Restore of an Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
When Eveland's Inc. began selling Scamp trailers they were sued by the company that made "Scamper" trailers for using a name that was too similar. Until the matter was settled, Eveland's called their first trailers "Acorn".
The other company was probably Skamper (with a "k"). I grew up camping in a '71 Skamper tent trailer. I can find no record of any company called "Scamper."
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Ya there is history.. but it seams to be about Scamp.. and the Acorn name.. Whatever I got my Acorn

Name:	Scrat 3.png
Views:	23
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	120263
Old 06-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #7

Alberta
Registry
The biggest problem to solve is replacing the floor and keeping the body in it's proper shape. Things start to twist and droop when you remove a part of your egg. It's too late for the door opening.. the fella I bought it from had cut alot of the glassing that held things together...and that caused a crack above the door. I'm thinking of building a brace system inside the trailer to keep things aligned. Like having a floor above the floor.. at the top of the wheel wells. Then I'm thinking of rolling the body on it's side and replacing the floor. It's a bit odd that a boler has a molded fiberglass floor with a plywood core.. and this (newer) trailer just has plywood glassed around the edges. So if I do roll the body onto it's side then I can glass the whole bottom. No more floor problems !
Old 06-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
1979 Scamp/Acorn

I had a 1979 Scamp 16 and did a little reading about the history. The first year that the 16 was produced was 1978. Sometime in the production of the '79 models, Scamp was involved in the litigation about the name. It wasn't a long problem because they did produce some trailers that year as a Scamp.
I had the Scamp name on my trailer and removed it, did some body work and then needed to paint the body.

Name:	IMG_0076_ResolutionPlus.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	120265

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #9

Alberta
Registry
So the Acorn name was a sort of flash in the pan so to speak. Mine will have a complete new paint job. And therefore I could call it what ever I want. Or nothing.. But the regi says Acorn.. so I'll probably stick with that.. You can just make out the graphic under the crappy paint job.. because someone left the decals on. They were red.

Name:	20180608_091439.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	120266
I'm not fond of the size of the name.. too big for my liking.. so I'll redo it smaller.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #10

Name: Ken
Trailer: Acorn 13
Maryland
Mine also a 79 Acorn - floor and door frame in pretty good shape . Used SS screws + nyloc nuts and butyl rubber tape to rebed ALL windows and hatches . Inside painted with Rustoleum when I got her - only occasional touch up req'd .. Frame and axle seem to be much better than I have a right to expect . Replaced Stove and Ice Bx with Dorm size Refrig . Took out the water tank (one that does not leak is rare ) Rewired to use a 12 v dry cell with LED lights - and use the 1 lb cans of gas with the stove . ( no weighty battery - the 12 v lasts a yr or 2 -- and a 1 lb can of gas lasts a week or more ( Walmarts are ubiquitous - so I don't haul much weight at all ! ) Thinking of moving up a notch - but this thing is such a pleasure to move around on a dolly .. and other wise suits our needs . Used a marine hatch to replace the center door beneath the bunk bed shelf in the forward end - fits like it was made for it . Used Perco flooring - would use vinyl tile next time ( that 1/4 in is rather critical ) Replaced the pc of carpet under the " table "( which was screwed down to 1x2 PVS rails placed along the FB glass molding's. Rewired of course using marine tinned #12 wire from West Marine
( which ended all electrical problems - probably overkill -- but worth it ) and added marine 30 Amp SS covered AC trailer hook up ( again probably over kill - but for 12 bucks ! ) Got a memory foam mattress topper - don't know if I like it yet. Had curtains made up by Vista Print copying onto banners some of favorite art -- which like quite a lot . ( Note to further preserve the floors - and any other wooden parts - Slosh - Soak - whatever with a solution of warm water and Copper Sulfate - which you cannot purchase - except at every Home Depot or Lowes - as Root Kill - a product used to kill the tree roots in home sewer / septic lines - Its a blue crystal - wear gloves and don't drink it ! Works a treat - dang floor will out live me ( I used it on the topside of the floor where possible ). I also replaced the factory furnace with a small thermostatically controlled elec heater .

The " Keep it simple Stupid" principal seems to work well for me for obvious reasons .

Hope to be at Eggbeaters in NY in July - see ya thar !

Ken
Ken Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

Name: Ben
Trailer: None
South Carolina
Is this going to be your rebuild thread? I would like to follow along on your adventure.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Is this going to be your rebuild thread? I would like to follow along on your adventure.

Yes It most likely will. However too busy in the summer.. so wont be starting till fall. You can also see even more photos and info on my blog.. link below..
Old 06-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Acorn name was used for one model year. 1979.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #14

Name: Ben
Trailer: None
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeye View Post
Yes It most likely will. However too busy in the summer.. so wont be starting till fall. You can also see even more photos and info on my blog.. link below..

Good deal.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote