Ordering a Scamp without decals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the Market for a Scamp
Michigan
Ordering a Scamp without decals

Did anyone order a Scamp without decals? I am ordering a 16' and was wondering if they would do that. I was also going to order with curtains to lessen the number of rivets. I like the clean look I think. If someone has done this if you could post pictures that would be great. Thanks.
nam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
I ordered mine with out. Saves them some money on the build. they will not change the price but you get a clean looking trailer. This confuses a lot of people.
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I DESPISE the million year old-looking "racing stripe" that Scamp STILL uses. I declined to have it put on. I DID opt for the "SCAMP" decal. One funny lil story...someone came up in the campground one time and told us, "I've never seen a "S" "Camp" before. Look at the pic and you can see what it looks like without the stripe but with the Scamp decal.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5320 (1280x704).jpg  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Decal

Had a neighbor order a new scamp a year ago and didn't like the gold decal that normally came with the Deluxe model. They instead opted for the red version.

In our case we kept the decal and deleted the corner sink in the bathroom. The price didn't change but we gained the extra room we wanted.

Within reason you should be able to get it the way you want. In looking back at our purchase last year I would have left off the sewer hose holder on the front and had both LED reading lights over the bed placed on the same side. One on each end of the bed isn't helpful unless you sleep head to foot.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
for those not ordering a new S camper removing decals is very fast and easy using a 3M Stripe Off eraser wheel
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Whe.../dp/B00063VT0G A little spendy but removes decals very rapidly and easily. One caution however. Make sure the trailer is very clean first, you don't want a spinning eraser wheel running across dirt, that might leave scratches.

If your scamp is old enough that the three tree decals came on it, leave em. They were earned by camper surviving this long. Also any long time decal covered area will have weathered differently. Leaving a shine shadow when the decal is removed.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I took off all but the "Scamp" on the sides of the camper 18 months after purchase. I contemplated also removing just the "p," and then when people ask me if it is for sale, I can tell them, "Sure is, but you know this is a scam don't ya"?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
... In looking back at our purchase last year I would have... had both LED reading lights over the bed placed on the same side. One on each end of the bed isn't helpful unless you sleep head to foot.
Sorry to drift off topic, but just wanted to say that would be an easy mod. In fact I replaced the light on the side of the bathroom over the sofa (layout four) with the same reading light that Scamp uses now. I also got a brighter LED bulb for it. I like that I can point it up so the light is not in my eyes.

If you want to add a second reading light on one side, go for it. I doubt that the electrical load would be a problem and if you stick with LEDs then its no worry at all.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam11 View Post
I was also going to order with curtains to lessen the number of rivets.
I hope you left out a word and meant without curtains, because I have 24 through rivets just to hold the dang curtain rods.

OH... and order WITHOUT the stinky slinky tube affixed to the front. That will save you four more through rivets.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I DESPISE the million year old-looking "racing stripe" that Scamp STILL uses. I declined to have it put on. I DID opt for the "SCAMP" decal. One funny lil story...someone came up in the campground one time and told us, "I've never seen a "S" "Camp" before. Look at the pic and you can see what it looks like without the stripe but with the Scamp decal.
That IS funny.

We have an S Cape!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
....I have 24 through rivets just to hold the dang curtain rods.

OH... and order WITHOUT the stinky slinky tube affixed to the front. That will save you four more through rivets.
I got my Scamp built with no holes for the curtain rod holders or stinky tube. And I wish I also got it with no escape hatch and no water heater. The great thing about molded fiberglass campers is how water tight they can be, but every hole on the shell lessens that advantage. The benefit gained from the cutting or drilling any hole should be weighed against the increased risk of a leak. Most of the holes in my camper are for something that makes the increased risk of leaks worthwhile, and I even added a few holes for things that I thought were important enough. But if I were designing the ideal molded fiberglass camper, I would think long and hard about every single hole in the shell.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Order it without the stripe, then choose to take the stripe separate.
You can keep it in case you change your mind, or you can donate or sell it to someone who is restoring a Scamp.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
What practical purpose does debadging a Scamp accomplish ?
Do you get better fuel mileage ?
Does the trailer attract fewer insects ?
Is it easier to wash ?
Maybe I am overlooking some obvions technical advantage ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What practical purpose does debadging a Scamp accomplish?...
Decals fade and crack. Then you have to replace them, which is time and work (the 3M eraser did not work well for me). I was going to leave them all off, but the ghosting was quite noticeable. There wouldn't be any ghosting if you left them off from the start. And the good news is that Scamp will do that if requested.

I ended up doing what Darrell did: "Scamp" but no stripes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	109693

I also switched to gold because... well... I like it better. And that's all the justification anyone really needs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You go Jon! (Great minds think alike!) I ALMOST opted for the "Gold" as well. But I didnt want Floyd to get mad at me. (just kidding!) The "Gold" is for the "Deluxe" models . But it does look a little more classy. I'd like it in blue. SURELY that wouldnt be too expensive...may look too much like Casita then though...haha.

Cathi....I love the "S" "Cape" Literally. I have some local friends who bought the 19'er and it's a BEAUTY!! (Greg&Teresa on this group)

Steve.... no "technical" advantage...dont think anyone mentioned why it would or would not be- just aesthetics- they just plain danged UGLY in my opinion.

Floyd: Actually a good idea to "keep" the stripe. Didnt think about it but it would been something else to keep up with.

One more for the road- JEFF T.
We opted FOR the corner sink which turned out to be a $40 option! So obviously, one of us got the shaft!

[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;653766]Decals fade and crack. Then you have to replace them, which is time and work (the 3M eraser did not work well for me). I was going to leave them all off, but the ghosting was quite noticeable. There wouldn't be any ghosting if you left them off from the start. And the good news is that Scamp will do that if requested.

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=Darral T.;653817] You go Jon! (Great minds think alike!) I ALMOST opted for the "Gold" as well. But I didnt want Floyd to get mad at me. (just kidding!) The "Gold" is for the "Deluxe" models . But it does look a little more classy. I'd like it in blue. SURELY that wouldnt be too expensive...may look too much like Casita then though...haha.

Cathi....I love the "S" "Cape" Literally. I have some local friends who bought the 19'er and it's a BEAUTY!! (Greg&Teresa on this group)

Steve.... no "technical" advantage...dont think anyone mentioned why it would or would not be- just aesthetics- they just plain danged UGLY in my opinion.

Floyd: Actually a good idea to "keep" the stripe. Didnt think about it but it would been something else to keep up with.

One more for the road- JEFF T.
We opted FOR the corner sink which turned out to be a $40 option! So obviously, one of us got the shaft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Decals fade and crack. Then you have to replace them, which is time and work (the 3M eraser did not work well for me). I was going to leave them all off, but the ghosting was quite noticeable. There wouldn't be any ghosting if you left them off from the start. And the good news is that Scamp will do that if requested.

If the purpose of debadging a Scamp is purely cosmetic / aesthetic
then never mind Just not worth thinking about for me.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I actually like the Scamp logo and stripes just the way they are. They might look a little "Retro"; but nothing wrong with that. Color choice would be nice to match the tow vehicle, but I can live with gold or red. I wish the 3 pine trees would make a comeback as well.

Darral, as much as you hate the racing stripes; I hate the big swooping swirls on the sides of most motor homes and big 5th wheels. I guess they are trying to break up the outline of a gigantic box so as not to look like a passenger bus. If I had one, I think I'd put a profile of our now departed dachshund, Dewey flying in mid leap on the sides ala Greyhound.

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #17
Jaz

Name: Jaz and Edward
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13
California
Yep! We ordered a 13' Scamp last year without the decals. We tend to lean toward the simpler look, although we did slap on an Arbor decal (our favorite snowboarding company) onto the side. I also agree with TomK and wish the 3 pine trees would make a comeback as well. Someday we may decide to paint the lower half red to mimic the older Boler models from the 70's, but for now we are happy with the all white giant marshmallow look
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   4.jpg  

3.jpg   6.jpg  

Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
That looks nice with the white tow vehicle. We love fishing and toyed with painting the bottom half and the A/C cover red. It would look just like a bobber.
I like the two-tone Bolers as well.

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I believe Scamp uses gold labels on the deluxe models, and red on the standard.
When you change them you are presenting a false front.

When we took delivery of out Parkliner, we were there before they began putting on the decals. Barbara asked them to be left off, so now all we have is the one on the tire cover.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
When we took delivery of out Parkliner, we were there before they began putting on the decals. Barbara asked them to be left off, so now all we have is the one on the tire cover.
She has good taste.
There was a suggestion that that logo may be getting a redesign.

Tags
scamp