(Other) Lessons Learned - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Washington doesn't like the "S" hooks either. They require some sort of retaining device. I don't know about crossing the safety chains.

They also want you to have a 'break-away' switch for the brakes, so if your trailer comes unhitched, the brakes will jam on.

A lot of things to worry about, if you are bent that direction.

A lot of things to not worry about, if that's your thing.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #22

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
Sorry! I can only state what I read about Ontario. I'm not familiar with other areas so cannot give you advice as to where you live. I replaced my "S" hooks with heavy duty stainless from TSC farm store and have had no problem with them. The mental security using them doesn't hurt either.
This is what the Ontario site says
"You must have two separate means of attachment between your vehicle and the trailer. Safety chains should be crossed under the tongue to prevent the tongue from dropping to the road should the primary hitch accidentally disconnect. It is recommended that chain hooks have latches or devices that prevent accidental disconnect.

Ït would appear that the police were overreacting.
Probably a good idea though.
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Margaret, that quote looks like it is from Pulling a Trailer Safely, from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, which looks like some good information.

For anyone interested in the nitty-gritty details, the same site links to Ontario's Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1980, c. H.8. The applicable section appears to be s 80, which says nothing about the type of hook. I couldn't find anything in the Statutes and Associated Regulations - Highway Traffic Act which adds to that section.

My utility trailer needed new chains, so I bought a set with hooks that have spring catches on them. My Boler is still using what I assume are the original chains (rusty brown but solid) with an unusual (to me) configuration: the chain is passed through the attachement loop of the hitch, doubles back on itself, and connects at the desired point with a hook that looks like one of those wire puzzles (and it just as frustrating when you first use it). It is slow to use, but adjustable to any length (by choosing which link to hook back to), and seems quite secure.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote