I have a Bonair Oxygen
2002... or so I thought. After doing some restoration work on it I discovered that we have #15 written in pen under one of the front benches along with some other printed Bonair information.
I completed interior restorations late last year and noticed that the clear coat on the outside was peeling from the top of the trailer. This past winter the problem got much worse as water worked it's way under the clear coat. I took the trailer into a marine paint
shop and asked for some advise. The guy I took it to has 30 years experience working with fiberglass boats doing repairs and painting
. He asked if he could sand off the top layers to take a look at what is underneath. I said, "it can't get any worse." What we discovered was a layer of clear coat, a layer of paint
, a layer of muddy yellow primer, and then the original gelcoat.
So, it turns out we have one of the original "repaired" Oxygens that suffered from the infamous delamination problem. Great! A 2001 model.
I was advised that all the clear coat, paint
and primer should be sanded off to do a proper repair. I decided to take on this part of the job to cut costs.
After 90 hours of sanding all clear coat, paint and primer was removed and the original gelcoat was exposed. It was easy to see where the trailer had fiberglass replaced. It was a small 1 foot by 6 inch section right at the front nose of the trailer above the seam. Running my hand over the area, it was flatter than the rest of the curved trailer but not visibly noticeable.
The fiberglass has been thoroughly examined and everything is sound. The fiberglass guy said that possibly the paint was allowed to cure before the clear coat was applied. There was no chemical bond between layers and that is why years later the clear coat was lifting off.
I have added a photo below of the "egg reborn." All caulking has been removed and a marine grade primer coat has been applied. As I get more photos I'll add them.