Our new UHaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have been working on Howie, our new UHaul. We hooked up the propane again. The previous owners had disconnected it. Boy, it is great to have a faucet that does not need pumping!
Here's pix.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00174.JPG   DSC00169.JPG  

left_side.JPG   DSC00178.JPG  

Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Lookin' Good!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 AM   #3

Registry
Thanks. I am dying to get going on adding cushions, flooring, etc., but Kevin still has to work on the wiring yet. We just got a new air conditioner that needs to be installed and will be getting a new furnace too. Then we can finish making it cosy.

CindyL
Old 04-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul
amasing what 3 feet will or rather can do for a trailer, we have a 13 footer , here is a link to our trailer and what we have done to it.
http://www.terry-g.net/u-haul/index.html

Quote:
Thanks. I am dying to get going on adding cushions, flooring, etc., but Kevin still has to work on the wiring yet. We just got a new air conditioner that needs to be installed and will be getting a new furnace too. Then we can finish making it cosy.

CindyL
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #5

Registry
Hi, Terry,

I have seen what you did to your trailer. Great work! And the additional space is amazing. The hubby and I are not constantly bumping behinds as we work on it. We are, however, bumping our heads. The UHaul seems to have a lower ceiling on the sides than our Burro did. I guess we have not hit it enough yet to learn.
At the risk of sounding naive enough to give you your laugh for the day, I did not realize that in buying a trailer with a bathroom, we also got kitchen sink running water. And because it has a water heater, it comes out hot.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00120.JPG   DSC00151.JPG  

DSC00155.JPG  
Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft CT
Hey, congradulations on your new U-Haul 16'. We picked up a 13' U-Haul several months ago and we too are trying to do some improvements on it. Replace the old solar panel with a new one, new bed mattress, things like that. Keep all of us posted on your progress.
Chris
Chris and Ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes, that hot water from the faucet is nice! Have you taken a shower yet? I almost did in my driveway, I owned mine for over a month before I actually took it out, but I felt silly, so I waited until I was set up somewhere.

Nice curtain! It's brightening up very quickly. What fun!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:37 AM   #8

Registry
I had to adapt those curtains. They were too long and too wide, so I folded the tabs over and sewed buttons on and added pleats to take away some of the width.

The windows had curtain rods that were rubber-covered springs with little eye hooks on the end for screws that go into the fiberglass. I remember that one used to be able to buy these kinds of curtain rods, but I could not find any in any of the stores around here. I looked online and could only find them abroad. So I found some on British ebay and bought them. They took a little over a week to get here. It is one long covered spring to be cut with the eyehooks. Perfect replacements for the ones that came with the trailer that are rusty and stretched out.

CindyL
Old 04-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Hi Cindy!
What a beautiful 16 footer!! We have a 13 footer and have spent the last few months restoring her. I was wondering where you got those "curtain rods". I too have searched high and low and can't find them anywhere. Mine are usable, but I would like new ones too! Thanks! Hopefully we'll be able to post pics of our restoration soon. As soon as we can find time to do all the camera/computer hook ups!!!
Al & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #10

Registry
A & D:

Go to http://www.ebay.co.uk/ and search for "curtain wire." There are several listed. You will have to check if the seller ships worldwide. Mine took a little over a week to get here. Buying off UK ebay is almost the same as US ebay, although we have bumped into a few differences that we think are due to UK laws. Your ebay name works in other countries. And paypal does the math for translating dollars to pounds or euros. I have bought Eurovan parts from both the UK ebay and Germany's ebay. I just lined an English page up with a German page and, with a little help from Babelfish, was able to buy parts for our Eurovan.
The curtain wire I got is exactly like what is in the UHaul. It comes in one long string that you have to cut. We used the old ones to size it for the ones we have replaced so far.

CindyL
Old 04-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #11

Thanks Cindy,
I'll check it out, did it come with the new round things for the ends or did you just reuse yours?
Donna only ( beause Al couldn't care less about curtains, or curtain wires!!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #12

Cindy,
Answered my own ? about the hooks. What are they doing with all that curtain wire in the UK???

Donna
Old 04-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #13

Cindy,
I was able to find it on ebay for here in the states. Much easier to find it, and figure out the prices!! Thanks for your help.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #14

Registry
Oh, good. The problem is knowing what it is called to even search for it. I found my answer on the UK ebay, so I just ordered there. I did not check back to US ebay.

I hung mine today. If you have to cut it, I found that it is safe to be generous in cutting it short. I bet I cut it two inches shorter than a measure of screw to screw on each window. That way it would pull the curtains high enough to keep people outside from looking inside. I started from the outside measure of each window but then had to cut additonal wire off. I finally felt bold enough to cut it shorter than I was comfortable doing and then adding the hook and stretching it.

CindyL
Old 04-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #15

Registry
One step closer to an air-conditioned UHaul for the Nauvoo trip. It took 3 men to lift it up there. The hubby keeps commenting in how well the UHaul was built to hold this air conditioner.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
air_conditioner.jpg  
Old 05-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #16

Registry
Yeah! Kevin built in the furnace, fixed the hinge on the bathroom door, the TV, finished off the 'fridge, and added carpet this weekend (And, I think I forgot one or two things.). So, now it seems so cosy. We can add decorations and load up for the first trip. However, that first trip has to wait until after our daughter's graduation day.

Cindy
Attached Thumbnails
carpet.jpg   Front_seat.jpg  

kitchen.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #17

Registry
More pix.
Attached Thumbnails
back_seating_space.jpg   kitchen_area.jpg  

television.jpg  
Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
What an incredible job you have done !! Superb workmanship and a flair for creativity. You inspire me to get going on mine. A cozy little home away from home.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #19

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Quote:
More pix.
I also have a 16 vt where did you get it and what kinda of tv is that? Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hey! We have the same dish soap dispenser!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul