OurBoler.com Red 1974 Boler Project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
OurBoler.com Red 1974 Boler Project

Day 1

Arriving I knew the trailer hadn;t moved in 20 years. I was shocked to find a solid frame, good tires, good bearings and working tail lights!

Getting it home we washed it, took off the roof vent, and pulled it into the garage.

Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you! But, if it's sat for 20 years... those are NOT good tires no matter what they look like.

Safe travels, always!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #3

Alberta
Agreed Donna. They where good to get it home, but I plan to put new rubber on it, change out the wiring and repack the seals, as well as adding new safety chains and marker lights before in moves again.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

I bet you're going to have fun with this Q.T.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #5

Alberta
Day 2

I have been too busy working on the trailer to post, so I am trying to catch up.

I pulled out the windows, (which all work!), and all the furniture except the closet. The closet is attached to the frame, and doesn't need to come out.

This step is fast, and I am still amazed at how good the condition of everything seems to be.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #6

It's SUMMER... why aren't you camping instead of tearing it apart?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

Alberta
Kids have one week left of school, and the other boler is ready to go, we will be picking them up from school on the last day with it
Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
You go Nelmes! Looks so good already enjoy working on her and get out there and enjoy what you have ready to camp in now.

Happy camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #9

Alberta
Thanks Lynn

Day 3

I forgot to take pictures. I found someone on this site recommended scrubbing bubbles, so after washing the ensolite for a couple minutes with bleach, I picked up scrubbing bubbles, which worked so much better, and brought the ensolite back.

Then I washed it again with TSP.

Day 4

The ensolite had mostly been painted, but some spots weren't, so I repainted the entire inside any way. I used a flexible self priming paint, a little expensive, but should look good for a long time.

I started laying down the laminate flooring, which I soon realized should be left or later, so I started stripping down the fiberglass furniture.

Again no pictures, which I will have to correct and start documenting this better.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #10

Alberta
Day 5

The trailer lights worked, but with old wires and no marker lights, I decieded to run new wires while the interior was stripped. I used stick on mounts to stra the wires to, and white duct tape to hid the wires. I ran them under the seat mounts so they were off the floor. With all the white they didn't really show up in photos.

Next I filled a couple holes. I filled two cut outs that had been used for light switches, the tap holes, as I need to move them a little on the kitchen. One of the benches had a cut out that had been screwed back into place. I also fiberglassed that in. This time I tested an Ecopoxy, much nice to work with, and no smell.

Day 6

I started sanding the top of the shell for repainting, not much to report, just lots of work.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #11

Alberta
Day 5

The trailer lights worked, but the wiring was old, so with the interior stripped out I decided to rewire it, and add marker lights. I used zap straps and stick on mount for them, then hid the wires with white duct tape. With the white walls, the wires are nice and hidden, and off the floor to help protect them.

Then I decided to repair the fiberglass furniture. I used Ecopoxy, and it was so much nicer to work with than the resin I am used to. It has no smell, and is not sticky, reducing the mess. It still stuck the cloth on well and did a great job.

With this I filled in a couple light switches between the icebox and cupboard door, the faucet holes and a cut out on one of the benches that had previously been screwed back in place.

Day 6

With time running out before our vacation begins I shifted to the outside, and started sanding the top of the shell for repainting. The paint job on the bottom is in good shape so I can save it.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #12

Alberta
Day 7

Mostly just sanding the top of the shell, and I tool the door off.

I started adding primer, I planed to do the roll and tip method, but I just made a mess with the brush. I was using an ultra smooth roller and was happy with how it went, so I gave up on the brush. With two coats of primer it is dome

Regrettably I forgot to prime the door, so I will have to get the primer out again.

Day 8

I took most of this day off from the trailer, just spent a little time sanding the door.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #13

Alberta
Day 9

I got out the bondo and went to work repairing the furniture. Then put two coats of primer on the door.

Then it was off to find a fridge and foam for the trailer.

Then spent the evening cutting the foam for the Green Boler.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
OurBoler.com Red 1974 Boler Project

Things are looking good! Once, the project is finished you can give yourself a big pat on the back for a job well done!
Thanks for the pictures of your work in progress!
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #15

Name: Bee
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
PE
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
Thanks Lynn

Day 3

I forgot to take pictures. I found someone on this site recommended scrubbing bubbles, so after washing the ensolite for a couple minutes with bleach, I picked up scrubbing bubbles, which worked so much better, and brought the ensolite back.

Then I washed it again with TSP.

Day 4

The ensolite had mostly been painted, but some spots weren't, so I repainted the entire inside any way. I used a flexible self priming paint, a little expensive, but should look good for a long time.

I started laying down the laminate flooring, which I soon realized should be left or later, so I started stripping down the fiberglass furniture.

Again no pictures, which I will have to correct and start documenting this better.
What is the name and brand of the flexible self priming paint? Do you have a picture of the can?
Thanks!
Bee
Bee in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #16

Alberta
Thanks Carl.

Bee. I picked it up at the local Rona.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #17

Alberta
Day 9

I got out the bodo and filled any marks or holes in the furniture.

Then I primed the door, which I had missed when doing the trailer.

Then off to a few stores to pick up some more stuff for the project.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Looking good Chris. I know what your going through, I working on my second boler, the first I co-owner with my son and gifted it to him when i bought my second boler.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #19

Alberta
Day 10

I painted the top of the trailer, the door with two coats of white paint The tongue, bumper and rock guard with a black rubber. It only got one coat, ad still needs more.

Then using the wood for the top bunk as a template I cut the foam, using a knife from the kitchen.

This brings us up to date, as it is raining today, so I have time to catch up as I wait for it to stop so I can get back to the trailer.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #20

Alberta
Rick. Nice, a perfect project to do as a family

Tags
boler