Outside and Inside Decals and Clingys - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Outside and Inside Decals and Clingys

I'd like to know if anyone has used those, now popular, removable wall decals on the outside of your fiberglass RV. You know, the ones that say "Live, Laugh, Love" or show silhouettes of birds flying, etc. The instructions for indoor wall removal say "heat with hairdryer and peel off". I'm wondering...If I put one of these on the outside of my RV would they peel off in the hot sun? I'll bet they would.

Basically, I'd like to know how I can add some words or graphics on the outside that could be easily removed in time. I'm guessing that even if that were possible the exterior would age at a different rate than the area covered by the graphic. As a result the "shadow" image would show when the graphics are removed. I may just stick to decorating the spare wheel cover. That is removable and changeable.

I'd also like to decorate the inside of my RV fiberglass and windows with those window cling plastic designs. You often see them during the Christmas and Easter holidays and autumn. Do you know of a good source for non-holiday motifs? Where can I purchase cling plastic without graphics? Have you used them in your fiberglass RV? With what success?

Thank you.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Interesting idea Gilda. I don't think you'd have any problem using clings on the fiberglass in the interior, might be a kinda fun, easy way to change themes kinda idea.

As far as exterior, although I have no personal experience, I think they'd peel off and flutter down the highway while under tow. Maybe you'd rather wait until you get set up?

I've seen clings everywhere... including the Dollar Store. I think you'd find Google to be your friend. I just searched for Window Clings and got tons of hits, many that aren't holiday specific.

Be sure to post some pictures if you decide to go this route
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #3

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Do the window clings adhere well to plexiglass?
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
You might check one of your local craft stores or art stores. I think I saw some that could be custom made in any shape or size. I think the ones I saw were designed to look kind of like stained glass but if you used a different paint it wouldn't be as transparent.
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
outside inside decals ......

I have had a "cling" of the shape of the united states in a flag motif, on the outside of the rear of our Scamp for about a year. I only have to be careful not to lose it when I wash off the trailer. It just clings back on when finished.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Office Depot sells Office Depot Brand Inkjet Static-Cling Window Decals, 8 1/2" x 11", Pack of 10 for $14.99 The ink-jet clings should be protected with an over laminate in either sheet or aerosol form to both protect the inkjet ink from moisture and add UV and chemical protection. Clings can also be made with gel-type fabric paint
http://www.ehow.com/how_4780855_make...ric-paint.html or from white glue How to Make Window Decals | eHow.com Haven't tried them on plexiglass surface. The DIY ink-jet clings do sometimes run if the ink side (the side not facing the window) get wet.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Dave, Is that like the yellow ribbon "Support Our Troops" car magnets? Or is it some other material? Will the car magnets would stick to fibreglass?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #8

Registry
inside outside....

No, it's a "cling" very flexible vinyl applique. It statically clings to the fiberglass (or any non porous surface).
Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Thanks David...never thought about putting one on the fiberglass exterior. You mentioned it moving if you wash the trailer. Would that mean that if I want to reposition it--to avoid fading in any one spot--all would have to do would be to hose it down?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #10

Registry
Yes, it comes off and goes back on very easily. I had mine above the rear window initially, but later placed it over the faded Scamp decal above the spare tire below the rear window. It covers it well.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Clingys. At first I was reminded of a commercial for life size stick on the wall football players. Then, why not animals. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my. Then what happens when Tony the Tiger comes loose and covers up someones windshield. Maybe life size is not such a good idea. Still, it's fun to think about.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Oh my! Good point Raz . Guess I'll stick with something on the inside of the window.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This website might help. I did a permanent full painted stain glass window on the back of my 16 ft. Casita and on the door I can do different themes of stain glass patterns on plexiglass and change them out when I want.
Gallery Glass Class

Also, here is a site that has free patterns that you can print and have enlarged at Office Depot.
http://free-stainedglasspatterns.com/
williamrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Williams, welcome to FiberglassRV we're glad you're here.

Thanks for posting the website... interesting, very interesting
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #15

Ontario
Registry
I hadn't thought about hanging something like that in the window. The designs on http://free-stainedglasspatterns.com/ are lovely...way beyond my ken but lovely. Thank you, Bill.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #16

California
Registry
Bill,
Thank you for sharing that fabulous page on cling art! It brings the craft to a whole new level! I now know what my next decorative project will be for the Scamp!
Gilda
Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have been camping a few days in the Santa Fe area (Lake Cochiti) and finally got a picture of my back window. The good thing about this technique is if you do not like it.....you can peel it off. This was the hardest(back window) because I had to apply it vertically. The ones I put on my side door are done on very thin plexaglass in the house then placed in the window. So they are interchangeable with the seasons.
Attached Thumbnails
back window.jpg  
williamrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #18

California
Registry
How great to have stained glass windows when you want them!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Home Depot now has peel and stick window coverings. There is stain glass, flowers and various others.