Outside outlet Placement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Burro
I am adding several new outlets to my Burro this week and am planning on adding an outdoor outlet. Somewhere near the door on the curbside is probably the best location, but I have a couple of concerns with that and want some feedback.

First, I am reluctant to mount the box on the fiberglass side of the camper, and second, getting power chased to the curbside is fairly difficult. With the way a Burro is put together, there is not a good way to get power from the road side, unless I put a piece of conduit between the two sides at the front or back.

I am considering mounting the box underneath the camper. Any downsides to this approach?
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Not if you never drive rough terrain or take it out in the rain.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: joelh...Here's a pic of our outside recepticle placement. It is weatherproof and located where we set our table under the awning. Great place for the toaster as it won't upset the smoke alarm out there!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Hello.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
With the burro's double wall construction, I would think that there is enough space between the shells to run the wiring around the perimeter and then where the seam falls between the seats bring it across by using a surface mounted wire cover ? This would put you in the 'curb side' seat area, and you could mount the plug where ever you want on that side.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

My Fiber Stream ran a rigid conduit under the floor from the street side converter/110 power cord connections to the curb side Refrigerator and Microwave outlets.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0313half.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Joelh,
My plan (which I hope to do in the next couple of weeks) for our Burro is to mount the box in the channel iron that was used for the rear bumper, running tec cable from the converter to the box. This works for us because we usually set up a small table just behind the curbside wheel for out electric kettle and lights for the awning.
hope this helps
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Burro
I was also thinking of the rear bumper. Easy access and it should be very protected.
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote