Paint! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
Paint!

I'm thinking instead of hand polishing and waxing my 1975 Trillium 1300 I will sand her down and give her a nwe coat of paint.
Any idea what kind of pain I should use.
PrettylilTrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...our (ex~Albertan) Trillium was ligtly scuffed (NOT sanded) and sprayed with a couplea coats of Ford White (truck) paint. Have yet to really wax it, just try to keep it clean and covered while in (winter) storage Looks as good now as the day we towed it home from the paint shop...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
...our (ex~Albertan) Trillium was ligtly scuffed (NOT sanded) and sprayed with a couplea coats of Ford White (truck) paint. Have yet to really wax it, just try to keep it clean and covered while in (winter) storage Looks as good now as the day we towed it home from the paint shop...
My brother owns a painting company and is willing to help me paint it. I've seen some people say rustoleum is a good option instead of using car paint which can be expensive. But they were painting on metal.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
For the "Pain" part I prefer either Ibuprofen, Sam Adams or Stella....

1. Regular "Rustoleum" is not an appropriate paint for fiberglass RV's.
Most applications I have seen on fiberglass have started to peel after a couple of seasons. And repairing that mess is 10 times as much work as doing it right the first time.
Rustoleum = $

2. "Rustoluem Top Side Marine Coating" is designed for fiberglass & metal. I have used it on 2 pop-up tent trailers with good success and have about 2+ years of sun exposure on one of the without fading or peeling. Due to high VOC's it cannot be sold in some areas, but can be ordered from Amazon on-line.
"Rustoluem Top Side Marine Coating" = $$$

3. "Interlux Topside Marine Paint" is a premium coating for fiberglass and I used the roll and tip method of application on my Hunter and the 1st question I was asked when I took it to my local RV store was "Who Sprayed it?"
"Interlux Topside Marine Paint" = $$$$$$

In Items 2&3 above paint was applied using the "Roll & Tip" method of application, Google that, and there are lots of YouTube video demonstrating the technique.
AND, it is essential that the correct primer/undercoat be used to provide an interface between the old surface and the new paint.

As far as spraying, unless you have a friend with a paint booth, it can get very expensive. Type quotes for spraying my Hunter ranged between$850 and $1400, assuming that there were no repairs and only minimal prep needed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My neighbor has offered to spray my trailers for free, as long as I buy the paint, and do all the prep. He has painted many vehicles and loves painting, just not the prep. He does it outside, when there is no wind. It turns out nice.

But, I think I will give the roll and tip method a try.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

Name: Mom2Philip
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Ontario
The RV place I went to today thinks interior and exterior paint will be 5k! I really hope it's not that bad . Or I might need to rethink my update plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Mom2philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2philip View Post
The RV place I went to today thinks interior and exterior paint will be 5k! I really hope it's not that bad . Or I might need to rethink my update plan.

If you have them prep and spray it, yes. Roll and Tip it with Interlux like Bob suggested. You'll get excellent results for WAY less than that.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

Ontario
I have neither the space or time to do this myself unfortunately.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Well, then I would love the colour you have. Clean the surface thoroughly, apply 3 or four coats of Zep Wet Look floor polish, from Home Depot, and it will look shiny and new.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #10

Fixer Fix-Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2philip View Post

While I realize that this advise is after the fact, it's always cheaper to buy the very best FGRV you can afford, than to have almost any amount of repair/repaint/update work done by a commercial source.

Maybe a good idea might to be to use it for a season "As-Is" and keep your eye out for something a little more to your taste, condition and appearance.

It's always easy to sell an FGRV..... It's much harder to buy one.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #11

Ontario
This isn't a matter of affording more a matter of not want to pay that much At the end of the day if it costs that much I'll pay it.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Well, then I would love the colour you have. Clean the surface thoroughly, apply 3 or four coats of Zep Wet Look floor polish, from Home Depot, and it will look shiny and new.

Does it really work well? Since she's pretty rough would it be better to polish and wax and then use the Zep for up keep?

Lilly The Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300
Old 03-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

The ZEP works well but it must be applied to a clean & bare surface. Any existing wax, much less new wax, is a no-no

You want to clean the entire surface with Barkeepers Friend to remove any traces of dirt and old wax. If you have applied new wax, you will want to strip it off, usually with a strong ammonia & water mix, but try to check with the original container.

ZEP looks like nothing for the first 2-3 coats and, suddenly at coat 4 it starts to shine.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Lyndsay, I bought Interlux Brightside to paint the trailer I am working on. I plan to do the tip and roll method. LOTS and LOTS of prep work for me though. This is what I am doing right now on the rebuild. I can go over all this when you stop by.

I looked around and researched lots, was going to go with Epiphanes Monourethane, as I am used to their clear finishes, but in the end decided on Interlux. The costs were similar, but Interlux had more colour choices.

Not cheap stuff, I hope to get by with two cans of primer, and three cans of paint (2 Off White, and one Largo Blue. Add in a couple litres of cleaner, and one of thinner, and the best deal I could find was about $335 tax in, from Binnacle.ca. This does not include the well over $100 worth of fillers, and fibreglass repair materials either. Oh, and add in the cost of a good brush and rollers, and lots of other accessories.

It is going to look great though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
I'm trying to keep my costs down. I'm now thinking that this year I will polish and wax her up nice and then in a year or two possibly look at painting. The body is really not that bad... Will have to have a closer inspection though.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
As long as you stay dry inside, that is the main thing. Rebuilding these trailers can really drain the pocketbook, that's for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Ok so new paint question. Can I use house pain on the inside insulation and fiberglass?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

I only use "House Paint" (aka Interior Latex) on wood surfaces. It's primarily held in place by air pressure and may not do well on the flexible insulation.

There are a number of paints for Auto Upholstery that may work. Here is a vendor:
<<<jjautoupholstery.com>>>

Old 03-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Thanks Bob for the info, the link didn't really tell me much but I gather that a vinyl paint is what I should use on the insulation fabric?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The key to successfully repainting the interior insulation is first prep, making sure it is very clean. They use a high adhesive primer, these types of primers are often used to paint over ceramic tile, this is followed by a high quality latex paint, latex breaths so it allows any moisture that penetrates the surface to evaporate, oil based or enamel paint will trap moisture and blister.

I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 for the primer and "Rustoleum Painter’s Touch" for the final coat. These are both available at local home improvement stores.
Full details on repainting the interior are documented in the Cleaning and Decorating the interior tab on my website
Proud Canadian-Cleaning & Decorating
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, trillium