Painting 17ft Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Painting 17ft Bigfoot?

Last December I sold my 13ft Burro when I found a 17ft Bigfoot that needed alot of work because of a branch landing on the roof. My husband is 6'2" and just could not stand up in the Burro. He already has limited mobility and the Burro was just not the right setup for him to go camping. So when I saw the Bigfoot that needs a full renovation that is tall enough for him to stand up and move around in, I jumped on it.

Well now that I have had the Bigfoot for a little over a month a plan is coming together on what is going to be needed to be done on the interior. But my question is more on the outside of the trailer. Due to the branch landing on the trailer the windows where knocked loose/broken. I have found several new windows at a local RV supply that carrys 2nds. The problem is the windows are close in size to what is already there, but not close enough. I will have to modify the opening sizes on 3 windows (back, kitchen and over the bed, two windows will be filled in with fiberglass (the angled windows at the front dinette) and the front window I will order from Motion Windows so no modifications will be needed at the front of the trailer. Don't worry the interior will have all the paneling replaced, so framing in the windows is not a big deal.

I am also removing the refrigerator and furance. So the access doors to each will be filled in.

Now to my question. Since I am doing so much to the exterior of the trailer, I am going to paint it once I am done. I have a color scheme (butter yellow top and grey on bottom) in mind but haven't found an examples of the bigfoot painted online.

Does anyone have examples of the 17ft Bigfoot being painted? I would like to see a photo if you do.

Thank you
Annie
Old 02-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I would like to follow this thread and see painted BF's also. Annie would you please document via pics the work on your trailer, please? What an interesting project.

I really would like to see what you use for your replacement windows.

From what I have read, painting fiberglass is a better way to protect the fiberglass than simply waxing it.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
In that case, there's no need to limit it to Bigfoot. Any painted fiberglass trailer example will do. There are plenty, and I'm almost positive some members of this forum have painted trailers.

This is something I've never thought of...

My trailer was rarely used, but clearly not stored indoors. I also have no way of storing it indoors. So the gelcoat is long gone. It looks fine, but not great. I don't want to wax it, because then I have to keep waxing it or it quickly starts looking worse than if I had never waxed it. If painting is a lower-maintenance alternative, and a good way to make it look like new, it's something I'd eventually look into if I decide to keep it for many more years.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #4

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Good Morning All,
I did painted my Burro that I have just sold. I painted a couple of years ago. It was not difficult but just took some time to complete. I painted the Burro all white but I would like to paint the Bigfoot the 2 tone. I was hoping someone had painted their Bigfoot so I could get a better idea of possible amount of paint it would require besides maybe a color example.

When I painted the Burro, I went through about 3 quarts of primer and 3 quarts of top coat paint for 2 coats of each paint. I used Interlux Brightsides paint. So I have alittle left over from each of the gallons that I bought of the Interlux. I am thinking I will need about 1-1/2 gallons of each primer and top coat to get a good coverage with the roll and tip method of painting.

Once I get into the Bigfoot project (clearing out the interior and ready for rebuild) I will start a new thread for it. I didn't do that for my Burro but I wish I had to keep all of the information in one place.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
painting trailer exterior

Google has lots of resource information, including other FRG trailer sites. Over the years, there has been several postings on this site too.

Here's some interesting trailer designs: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/449234...49875/?lp=true

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...d-25303-8.html
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
If you google search scamp paint ideas, you will get a ton of ideas. I always think about the Gomer Pyle hippie bus when I see some of the things people do.
Here is a link to Interlux paint guide. It give you coverage recommendations for its different products. Boat Painting Guide | Interlux
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #7

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
In that case, there's no need to limit it to Bigfoot. Any painted fiberglass trailer example will do. There are plenty, and I'm almost positive some members of this forum have painted trailers.

This is something I've never thought of...

My trailer was rarely used, but clearly not stored indoors. I also have no way of storing it indoors. So the gelcoat is long gone. It looks fine, but not great. I don't want to wax it, because then I have to keep waxing it or it quickly starts looking worse than if I had never waxed it. If painting is a lower-maintenance alternative, and a good way to make it look like new, it's something I'd eventually look into if I decide to keep it for many more years.

Sounds like you just need to use rubbing compound which will bring the color up ie take off the white stuff. You can buy it at most Jobbers like NAPA. Comes in liquid or paste form in different grits, if really bad use coarse. Can be done by hand or with a polisher. Then all you need to do to keep it good is wash with warm soapy water and dry off with a chamois. The chamois helps keep your paint clean. (From hubby who was in auto body for 55 years).
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Thanks. That's definitely something I'd try before painting or waxing. Not sure I'm willing to chamois my entire trailer, but who knows. I guess if it were a once a year thing, it's probably worth it.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieSnyder View Post
Good Morning All,
I did painted my Burro that I have just sold. I painted a couple of years ago. It was not difficult but just took some time to complete. I painted the Burro all white but I would like to paint the Bigfoot the 2 tone. I was hoping someone had painted their Bigfoot so I could get a better idea of possible amount of paint it would require besides maybe a color example.

When I painted the Burro, I went through about 3 quarts of primer and 3 quarts of top coat paint for 2 coats of each paint. I used Interlux Brightsides paint. So I have alittle left over from each of the gallons that I bought of the Interlux. I am thinking I will need about 1-1/2 gallons of each primer and top coat to get a good coverage with the roll and tip method of painting.

Once I get into the Bigfoot project (clearing out the interior and ready for rebuild) I will start a new thread for it. I didn't do that for my Burro but I wish I had to keep all of the information in one place.
I want to stay on top of what you are doing. I just hope if you start another thread I notice and tag it. Have you thought about buying or renting a paint sprayer to apply the paint, or aerosol cans of spray paint?
Old 03-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Thanks. That's definitely something I'd try before painting or waxing. Not sure I'm willing to chamois my entire trailer, but who knows. I guess if it were a once a year thing, it's probably worth it.

Our boler is only 13', so a once a year wash with warm water and Dawn dish soap and dry off with chamois is not such a big job for me at this stage. I do this with my 67 Mustang though more often.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #11

Tennessee
The problem with dawn is that it takes all the wax off, I made this mistake with my Casita. I then had to relax the whole darn thing, multiple times to get it back. After that I used car wash soap which is not as aggressive and this cleaned the gel coat but left some wax behind.

Gel coat is porous and traps dirt. Wax fill in those tiny holes and works ok, but has to be reapplied. Paint fills in the pores and protects the Gel coat. But yes it still need to be waxed. I got this info from reading, not because I am an expert.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
The problem with dawn is that it takes all the wax off, I made this mistake with my Casita. I then had to relax the whole darn thing, multiple times to get it back. After that I used car wash soap which is not as aggressive and this cleaned the gel coat but left some wax behind.

Gel coat is porous and traps dirt. Wax fill in those tiny holes and works ok, but has to be reapplied. Paint fills in the pores and protects the Gel coat. But yes it still need to be waxed. I got this info from reading, not because I am an expert.

Thank you, your suggestion of car wash is good. I use dish wash soap on our antique vehicles. Your suggestion of car wash is good. That is why you would use a genuine chamois cloth not a synthetic one, it cleans the paint. The Dupont paint guys told hubby to use Tide, he can't remember if it was something not in it or something in it.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
The Dupont paint guys told hubby to use Tide, he can't remember if it was something not in it or something in it.

Maybe they wanted to sell him more paint?
I wouldn't use Tide and if you are going to recommend it, it comes in granular and liquid and pods. I would think the granular would scratch paint if not fully dissolved.
I use Simonize Wash and Wax between proper wax jobs.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Maybe they wanted to sell him more paint?
I wouldn't use Tide and if you are going to recommend it, it comes in granular and liquid and pods. I would think the granular would scratch paint if not fully dissolved.
I use Simonize Wash and Wax between proper wax jobs.

That was years ago so who knows how formulas have changed, they certainly have for paint. And yes you would dissolve the powder in the warm water first. Hubby was in the autobody trade for more than 55 years, so definitely knows what will scratch paint.

Tags
bigfoot, paint, painting