ParkLiner Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
ParkLiner Awning

Well I got to set my newly made awning up this weekend and Im pretty happy with the way it came out. I was able to get it up on the flat part of my roof and use those black thick bungy cords to hold it on. Was really windy on the mountain top I was camping on, and had to run the bungy's from the other side of the trailer and it did a great job of holding the awning on. Was nice to have something to sit under and for about 12 yards of 60" sunbrella material... was worth makeing. I used 3/4 inch heavy conduit from home depot for the poles. I might add 2 more poles in front to get a crisper front look on the awning. I still have to add a few grommets... I made an inner flap all the way around the awning on the 3 sides so I could attach side pieces for privacy or to block the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
roof.jpg   awningbuild1.jpg  

awningbuild2.jpg   awning1.jpg  

awning2.jpg   awning3.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Looking good, I like the colors.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Nice handiwork!

What type of thread did you use to stitch it up? We use a 'first up' type free standing awning, but I am considering adding a small awning that attaches to the trailer - to serve as sort of an entry porch.

I really like what you have done.
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks, I looked for a while till I found something retro looking that I liked. I used an exterior uv stable bonded polyester thread that I had for sewing sailbags. It wasn't hard to make and I like the way it came out...might add fringe if I can find what Im looking for.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

Name: Polly
Trailer: None
North Carolina
Deryk, it looks very sharp! We will for sure consider this for our ParkLiner. I'm interested to hear how your overall experience was, too. Still a million-dollar trailer?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
Ah Polly, I had a great time this weekend. Headed out on thursday afternoon, Outside temps were cold at night but the heater kept me real warm. She towed well, had some issue with wind and I think I need an anti sway bar to help out with that. Ive towed the ParkLiner 500 miles with no issue priorly, this weekend it was real windy and I felt it moveing around behind me....but other then that it was great! Its high enough off the ground that I didn't bottom out while climbing a steep dirt path up a mountain to boondock at my friends families place. Got to take a nice hot quick shower on saturday... need to watch my water useage, was just about empty on sunday morning lol

Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I really like this awning deryk. Cool beans!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Donna! Yeah was a bit early in the season where I was to need an awning lol...on friday morning I dragged my chair into the sun for warmth lol. But soon enough shade will be a great thing lol.

It was real windy on saturday night into sunday and I felt my caravan rocking cause the wind was grabbing at the awning like a parachute...but I felt ok with it because its not adhered to the ParkLiner, the heavy duty bungies would just stretch a little to compensate for the load.

Im glad I didn't add a rail!. I might add a grommet in the middle on the roof side and run a line to the backside of the parkliner and bungie it to the frame to spread the load out a little bit...but I remember a pic posted here of an awning that kinda blew over the top of the trailer and the frame was all twisted... nice to not have to worry about that lol...still need some fringe lol

Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Nice!!!!!!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #10

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Deryk, I knew you were a closet Glamper. Awning is nice, great choice of fabric!
Only a suggestion, don't mean to dampen your high...maybe think about the benefit of a center piece through the middle to give a little more support during heavy rain...
a rope would also work. Just a thought.
Really, you have done a beautiful Job, keep up the good work!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #11

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks!

Dianne, Im not sure what you mean, a pole going down the middle from roof top to front or side to side?

I am thinking of 2 more poles, and drill holes in them to sit on top of the uprights to make the front edge look more straight.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #12

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Wink

"Closet Glamper" LOL.
OH i do believe deryk has come out of the "Closet"
Luv U Bro.

On Sunbrella fabric...
For any who happen to be Costco Members, they currently have a 2 pack of nice Sunbrella fabric sofa pillows in various colors. I picked up 2x2packs of the light coco brown that should go well with our interior (The DW picked it out of all the choices). They had a blue, tan, coco brown, green and a couple of others...i think the 2 pack was $23.99??

Happy Trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #13

New Jersey
Registry
oh yeah closet was a long time ago lol

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #14

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
It's beautiful Deryk!!! You can be proud. It looks a lot like the one I made (different fabric pattern though). If I ever get it set up I'll post pix. I purchased a rail though at Vintage Trailer. I decided to go ahead and permanently mount it to the Scamp. And watch out for those pole ropes!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #15

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Linda! I was debateing mounting a rail along the flat part of my roof. But on sunday morning when I woke up I felt my caravan moveing a bit... it was the wind trying to make a parachute out of the awning. Well since its not permanently attached, I wasn't worried since the hvy duty bungy cords can give a little with the gusts and I dont have to worry about it ripping out the track.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Deryk, That awning is really perfect for your camper! Despite the chilly weather, sounds like you had a good time.
One thing that I'd watch for, though, is surface wear from the rubbing action on your camper from the awning or bungies in windy conditions. If they regularly rub against one area of the camper, it might damage your gelcoat.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #17

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Deryk, Nice job and I too like the colors. I'm just waiting for the weather to break and then I'll do my awning thing.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Beautiful job Deryk! Have you got a really heavy duty sewing machine or will a household quality machine handle the Sunbrella fabric?

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks! The awning isn't perfect but it will do the job. Brian about 10 years ago I bought an industrial sewing machine because the canvas work on sailboats is through the roof expensive and I have decent skills so I started maeking my own sail covers and sail bags...upholstery covering etc. Over the years Ive more then paid off the cost of the machine.

Pam I did figure the rubbing will probably wear on the gel coat but Its in a spot that won't be seen by many people up on the roof. I did move the bungies from the picture. Thursday night it got pretty windy and 1 side popped off the flat spot on my roof so since it was dark I disconected it. In the am, I moved the bungies to the opposite side of my caravan and a little further out and it handled friday and saturday nite fine(if i get the issue with the cargo carrier fixed and can safely drive with it I would be able to strap it to the that and be able to open my rear window). I am contemplating adding a grommet in the middle and running a line over the top and bungying it but that would be rubbing for sure . Wonder if fake lambswool or a pool noodle might work?

Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #20

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Talking

yo dude, you can not put up a pool noodle on your Glamping Rig!
gonna have to be lambswool.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, parkliner