ParkLiner cabinet door holder-openers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
ParkLiner cabinet door holder-openers

After trying to do a spring thing like Tammie & Joel did, I opted for something ready-made, namely RV Designer H271.

I still needed to make blocks for mounting whatever I used to hold the doors open. I tried Gorilla Glue for the 1st time and was amazed at how good it worked. Problem is 2 layers of 1X3 oak don't quite fit the depth between cabinets, so I just barely can't Gorilla Glue them down to the actual fiberglass cabinet (they had to be screwed in place). Hope to figure that out tomorrow. It needs to be simple...

Here's the install. They snap right open, and close with some gusto.

Soon as I figure this 1/32nd thickness mounting block problem out, I'll get the rest done without screws holding them in, and looking better than this test. Screws will come out for the test one too. I have one more pair of the door supports, but just ordered 4 more pair from Amazon. With state tax, it was 31 bucks and change for 4 more pairs. For the most part, I only need one per door I think, except one I'll need both sides for.

There were no directions with these babies, and I could only find one picture on the web of them installed. I pretty much used that picture and figured no better time than now for a test.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #2

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Hey Frank,
That looks like a stronger and simpler solution than my springs. I'll give it a try on the upper bathroom storage door. Thanks!
Joel
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #3

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
Hey Frank,
That looks like a stronger and simpler solution than my springs. I'll give it a try on the upper bathroom storage door. Thanks!
Joel
We bought all they had at Camping World in Kingston NY Joel - 2 pairs! They're cheaper than Amazon, but the shipping costs from Camping World and the 2 week wait pushed us to Amazon. We're Prime members, so don't pay shipping and my 4 pair will be here Monday. Anyways, here's a link: Amazon.com: RV Designer H271 Spring Loaded Cabinet Door Strut, (Pack of 2): Automotive

You will like them. Easy to do.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #4

New York
Looks like I need 1/8" more thickness. I would like it to be screen-like, so when I Gorilla Glue it and clamped it, the glue would work through and hold everything together. Any ideas?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Although one strut is enough to hold the doors open, I would be somewhat concerned that repeated racking forces during closing of the door would be damaging to the hinges on your door. I would definitely go with struts on either side to balance things out.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Although one strut is enough to hold the doors open, I would be somewhat concerned that repeated racking forces during closing of the door would be damaging to the hinges on your door. I would definitely go with struts on either side to balance things out.
Thanks for the advice Dave. I assume you have experience with these door supports?

These are commonly used just on one side of a door. We'll give it a go and see how things work out, and in the meantime I will keep a close eye on how those hinges take the abuse.

Part of the problem is I can only put blocks in like I'm using on adjacent sides. The other sides have structural components that would make positioning closers more difficult.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
It looks as though you are attaching the bottom of the supports to the end grain of the wood block. It would be better if you could turn the blocks and go in the side, although the Oak maybe plenty strong anyway.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
It looks as though you are attaching the bottom of the supports to the end grain of the wood block. It would be better if you could turn the blocks and go in the side, although the Oak maybe plenty strong anyway.
I am attaching these to the end grain of the oak Tim. It seems very strong, as it is not easy to drill pilot holes in, let alone turn the mounting screws in even the 2nd time. It would be difficult with what I have to do it any other way. All I can do is see how this works out.

I used oak as opposed to poplar or pine for it's relative hardness.

I'll keep y'all posted as to how this works out. This was a test. I now have the shims I need and will get back to it as I can.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #9

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I love this hardware. I ordered these online and didn't realize they came two to a pack. That turned out well as I found other used for them. They do a fair job holding the door closed too.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #10

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

looks like a good fix Frank!
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
looks like a good fix Frank!
Thom
Thanks Thom. I'm having a bit of trouble building these blocks out. I really don't want to break out the fiberglass, but it's looking more and more like I have to. We'll see.

We're gone for the weekend visiting family far away. It will have to wait till next week.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #12

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
I used 1x4 poplar and pine and the thickness was enough to hold the cross member just away from the fiberglass door opening. (otherwise the support piece would not contact the fiberglass wall) I think some boards are milled thicker than others. I joined the wood pieces with wood glue and reinforced with screws. I used Gorilla glue to join the wood to fiberglass with no screws and clamped the whole unit in the gap between the doors until set. I haven't drilled any holes in the fiberglass (yet).

Do the hinges you bought require much force to close? If so, the screws might be needed.

Joel
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:32 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
I used 1x4 poplar and pine and the thickness was enough to hold the cross member just away from the fiberglass door opening. (otherwise the support piece would not contact the fiberglass wall) I think some boards are milled thicker than others. I joined the wood pieces with wood glue and reinforced with screws. I used Gorilla glue to join the wood to fiberglass with no screws and clamped the whole unit in the gap between the doors until set. I haven't drilled any holes in the fiberglass (yet).

Do the hinges you bought require much force to close? If so, the screws might be needed.

Joel
Good morning Joel,

First of all, it's a bit after 5, and I just came in from walking Buckley. My 1st cup of coffee sitting here, and I need it!

Trust me, I'm no expert on this stuff. Basically I got frustrated with the spring thing like you did, and looked for something simpler. On the plus side, I now have a varied selection of dowels and springs...

My two experiments last night for building the block out were not successful, so while in the car today for 6 hours (and again tomorrow), I will have time to think about this.

My first experiment involved trying to split 1/8" luan. 1/8" is too thick, so I figured it should split easy. It doesn't. Next I tried two pieces of fiberglass mat sandwiched between the oak pieces. The Gorilla Glue bound it real well, but it still wasn't thick enough. I keep thinking some kind of 1/16" screen in between the pieces of oak might work, allowing the Gorilla Glue to bind around it.

Based on my 1st efforts, if this Gorilla Glue holds to the fiberglass like it holds wood together, there is no need for screws to hold the wood. I used screws because I was hesitant to mount the door support until I was sure everything would work. It is very cool the way these inexpensive supports work, so I will figure out this block problem I have.

Ya know Joel, I used oak for this because of it's hardness. I really don't think the one screw that mounts each unit will pull out, but this is all an experiment. I just don't know, but will keep at it till it's done. Then we'll see over time what happens.

I have to get ready to hit the road. Enjoy your weekend!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #14

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post

I thought I would need hinges on both side. When I went to install these I found that one worked very well. I've new using these since February or March and am confident the will last indefinitely. I suppose that Al depends on the quality of your doors and hinges.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner