Parkliner Small Table Comfort - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Name: Polly
Trailer: None
North Carolina
Parkliner Small Table Comfort

Hello, Parkliner owners! We're wondering whether a backrest could be created for the left/aft seat at the small table, the midsection table. Huz and I foresee using that midsection table a lot, but our creaky older backs require support. We'll both be fighting to sit at the right side. What do you think? Is there any way to add back support? Is it something we should ask Chandler to address? Thanks for any ideas!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had trouble getting comfortable in the Parkliner side dinette. Do you have the bunk option, it may free up some room in the forward position. As far as back support on the aft position, I envisioned creating a seat with a back out of plywood and putting the cushion down on top for some support. Yes that wall in the Casitas serves a purpose.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: Undecided
Illinois
I know Chandler has thought about it, but haven't heard of any conclusions yet. I'm with you, Polly, I need a backrest. Once I get my trailer I'll have to see what I can come up with. Or....... maybe Chandler will come up with an idea REAL soon !
Carol in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

North Carolina
Carol, I imagine we're not alone! I'm adding 'back support for the midsection table' to our short list of options/alterations. Chandler will probably have some clever ideas for how to improve this. All that's needed, really, is something for the lumbar region - it doesn't have to be very high. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I don't really see it a problem makeing something. The fiberglass is molded in that area waith a slot for the supports for the bunkbed, So it looks like a piece of plywood could slide into that slot as a backrest(might be 2" wide, never measured it and since it' at my parents house can't just run out and check it). I haven't played with it because Im single and the front dinette seat is fine lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #6

North Carolina
Well, that's good to hear, deryk. I hope the mold is the same even though we're not getting the bunkbed option. I believe Chandler will take it as a challenge!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

New Jersey
Registry
Polly Im certain the inside mould is the same for them...you never know1 day you might need the bunks....If I remember next week I will snap a photo of it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #8

North Carolina
Thanks, Derek, that's good to know about the molds. I really hope there's an inventive way to fashion a seat back. And I hope we won't regret not getting the bunk beds, but they're really not 'us'. However we are getting the corner shelf.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Nat

Name: Nathan
Trailer: 75 Boler
B.C.
Just an idea if you don't mind the custom look, I would suggest finding a couple comfy and supportive swivel chairs and installing them in place. I don't know if there's storage under those chairs but a pedestal style swivel chair would look nice and clean or just install it on top of the original fireberglass box, add a little extra support and add a side door to the box.
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

New Jersey
Registry
I have thought about that...the seat with the back to the head might not work...would lose easy access to storage...but the other seat that would work great for.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Check out thread "Front dinette conversion" currently active. Lot of advice, experience there with seating placed on top of lockers. Side dinette is much the same situation. Advice try before U buy is good advice. If the result isn't comfortable you won't be able to live with it. There are also issues of losing convertibility to bunk OR (if not permanently attached) where to stow seats when not in use.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #12

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

My wife and I may be adding a folding stadium seat(s) in that area. There are many styles and fabrics available these days and several levels of fit, trim, and comfort.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #13

North Carolina
These are all ideas worth checking out, so thanks, everyone.
We heard back from Chandler that he has a design, but has not gotten it worked up for production yet. It will be interesting to see how he solves this problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
I think its gonna be pretty easy, just a piece of half inch plywood with another board that would fill the thickness of the slot, and slide it in...add some trim to cover the edges and varnish to make it match the wood colour interior. Maybe a few snaps to hold the cushion to it, or forget the trim and varnish and make a pocket on the back of the cushion to slide over the board and that would work fine as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #15

Astoria Oregon
Registry
an update now that we've had our PL for a week...

I have been spending about an hour or so doodling on my netbook with WiFi on sitting at the side dinette with the stadium seats currently for sale at costco (they have the stadium blanket). I have been quite comfortable in the seat with the backrest. . . in fact the other afternoon i sort of got carried away and was in the seat for over two hours.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #16

North Carolina
That's encouraging to hear. What a simple solution that would be!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I tried sitting in both seats, the rear one has no back support and the front one felt cramped, perhaps the table needed to be turned sideways or was incorrectly set up that day. Glad it works for you with the extra support from stadium seats.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #18

New Jersey
Registry
Ive only sat at mine for short periods of time... the bad thing about it not being stored where I live...just can't go out and hang out in it lol. If someone is feeling creative the seat closest to the queen sized bed, a backpiece could be made to slide into the groove that is there for the bunk beds. Im not as wide as I used to be lol but don't have a problem sitting at the table. I think the longest I sat at it was around a half an hour 2 weekends ago haveing coffee waiting for it to get above freezing outside lol

Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #19

Astoria Oregon
Registry
I realize that by even bringing up the question the backless side dinette bench seats' design is not ideal...so ferreting out simple solutions can go a long way to adding comfort and useability.

For Cari & i, since the PL will not be slept in, but used rather for relaxing & meals-for-two...AND we LOVE the U-Shape lounge area, we've chosen to overlook the small inconvenience of the bench seat backless design and eat simple meals on the side dinette. If we have peeps over we can quickly set up a nice table for four in the rear
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We had the same problem with no back support in our EggCamper and bought these stadium seats from Amazon. Amazon.com: Picnic Time Portable Recreation Recliner Oniva Seat, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden
We love them!
At first my wife didn't want to give up the beautiful cushions she had made, but after trying the new seats she won't go back.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner