"Peltier-type" air conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
"Peltier-type" air conditioner

Attached a a few pics of a proto-type Peltier AC.
Liquid cooled. Uses 2, 6A Peltier ceramic plates.
Puts out a WHOPPING 200 BTUs (about).
Thermostat controlled to turn on at 70F and off at 50F. Small squirrel fan blows air over the cold plate.
An interesting winter project, but haven't installed it as of yet (March).
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
How many of these things are you planning on using? At 200 BTU's each, you will need 10 to 20 of these modules to keep your camper cool.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Well, ya know that old saying "it seemed like a good idea at the time"?
Each pair of Peltier plates (40mm square each) takes about 15A to operate. Each pair takes a bit of effort to keep the "hot"side cool so they don't burn up. So, roughly 200A and a truck radiator later.......
Bottom line. It's not practical. For the same power to operate 2 Peltier plates at 200BTU I could run my 5000BTU window AC.
But, some fun eh?
The idea was to put something together that I could use for my overnight stops. Something that would blow some cold air on my face/head so that I could sleep more comfortably than with just a fan. It takes a good half hour to install my window AC and some time to take it out and I was just looking for something a little faster to set up.
Kind of like those ice buckets with a fan setups only with Peltier plates as ice cubes that won't melt.
It does work at a small scale. It blows 40-50 degree air. Not near enough to cool any space, but enough to keep my head cool.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Clyle...while not really feasible, I find it VERY interesting as I love to "piddle" and experiment as well. In fact, enough that my wife will walk by sometimes and look at my projects and just shake her head. I've been asked by her, "Does your brain EVER shut down?" I told her I hope not!

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I'd like to look more into that.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Lyle, such tinkering is a lot of fun. Maybe your Peltier could cool an oil can of Foster's like this one:
Shamrock's Beer Blog: Foster's Oil Can
Not the best of reviews, but funny if you are in the mood.

And, Daral, don't let that brain slow down even a bit!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
If a little project keeps you off the streets and out of trouble (with SWMBO) it is worth it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

It doesnt Paul . If I'm not building a model plane/heli, I'm into "electronics" or Scamp Mods. I just love to design and build...

(Hey...you be safe on the road ole timer! Enjoy Sebring...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Lyle, such tinkering is a lot of fun. Maybe your Peltier could cool an oil can of Foster's like this one:
Shamrock's Beer Blog: Foster's Oil Can
Not the best of reviews, but funny if you are in the mood.

And, Daral, don't let that brain slow down even a bit!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
And they (the projects) will nickel-and-dime ya into the poor house too if you're not careful. My letter carrier was delivering so many electronic/plumbing parts to the house I thought she was going to turn me in to Homeland Security.
My wife is still working so by the time she sees the latest "thing" it's too late. I get the head shake and eye roll too. I guess it's hard to see true genius when it's standing so close!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #9

I needed a good laugh today and this has been it. I see a "kindred" spirit here. LOVED the part about the "Homeland Security" and the "Genius". I'll work a project to death at times...even something I buy that needs modifying. One day, my daughter told the wife, "Well mom, at least when he gets through with it, he'll be happy". And my friend, this has applied to my Scamp for the past 5 first years of ownership! I think this is the first year I have NO mod planned for it.

Good "something different" thread here Clyle. OH! And "Amazon" is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
And they (the projects) will nickel-and-dime ya into the poor house too if you're not careful. My letter carrier was delivering so many electronic/plumbing parts to the house I thought she was going to turn me in to Homeland Security.
My wife is still working so by the time she sees the latest "thing" it's too late. I get the head shake and eye roll too. I guess it's hard to see true genius when it's standing so close!

Tags
trillium