PlayPac from wayback - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 12:25 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Play Pac
South Carolina
PlayPac from wayback

Yep. Got one given to me. It was just sitting in the yard rotting away and i asked the owner how much for it. He said if you can use it hitch it up and take it. Sure...after repacking wheel bearings snd buying new tires and rims. Added some magnetic trailer lights and hauled it home right after i pressure washed it enough to see it was once white. Will need to do that again. Got her jacked up off the ground so I can put in a floor without having to spend all my time on my old knees on ripout. Totally stripped inside...nothing...not even wall covering (i think playpac'rs call it elephant skin). Talk about a clean slate to start from...man. No floor but got trough around 'most' of it. I guess thats the support for the walls eh? I see everyone pretty much fiberglasses the floor ... is that the standard? I was gonna drop in 3/4 plywood but guess i could coat it. Seen some really good work from you hard core renovator/restorers and will definitely continue perusing the forum for more suggestions and techniques. Might start taking pix now before i go farther down the rabbit hole here so i see if progressing properly...plan is to enjoy doing this and hope i can finish before too long...hell I'm already 65...how much time can i really spend on it if i want to attempt to use it...good guess. Any suggestions on start and pitfalls welcome. Never done this before so i certainly cant complain .. just dont mislead me please. I'll figure it out if need be because most of my brain still functions..well, as it is. Maybe I'll See ya out there somewhere someday. Later
Eadmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Welcome to the site David, everyone here likes to help!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:40 PM   #3

South Carolina
So here it begins

Thanks Mike_L, thats good to know!
I've seen posts that suggest replacing the axle, other than damaged or corroded is there some other reason?
Also, if i decided to encapsulate the flooring with fiberglass could 1/2 plywood be used in lieu of 3/4?
Seems the fiberglass would make up the difference in support..but, like I said previously, this is something i havent dealt with until now and maybe fiberglass doesnt work that way.
This will keep me busy for awhile!
Old 03-14-2021, 01:08 AM   #4

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
So you got yourself a Wayback machine?
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:05 AM   #5

South Carolina
Talking

with the sagging roof its more like sway-back machine
Old 03-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Hi David, without seeing the situation first hand it's difficult to offer advice, but in general terms, here goes.
An axle can be rebuilt if you feel so inclined and know how to do it and can get the necessary parts. The advantage is that replacing the entire axle means no old parts that may fail later and it's likely to be properly assembled. Installing a complete axle may be easier and less work than rebuilding the original. The last time I had to do this I priced both options and a new axle cost less than the parts for a rebuild although this may not always be the case.
Soft floors are a common problem with lightweight trailers as thinner materials are used to reduce weight. I've seen full and partial floor replacement from above and beneath the unit. It depends on what you have work with and how extensive a repair you want to make. An off frame full floor replacement is certainly the best option but it is a lot of work and you will need a place to do the work plus necessary tools and equipment.
If the frame and supports under the floor are in good shape and your floor is just a little spongy, I would put a layer of new plywood over the existing floor. Half inch plywood would be a minimum but 5/8 would be even better. As you go thicker the weight of the plywood is a trade off between strength and weight.
Some Pics may help. Good luck with your project!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #7

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
yes, lets see some pictures. I often forget to take pictures when I start a project, and it helps, also you forget how bad it was (or I do)
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #8

South Carolina
Thanks for that info Mike. Yeah, as I get started I see this is much different than anticipated. Going to have to step back now that i see how its actually built and check frame integrity before proceding here. I'm not worried about the weightfor pulling but concerned of the weightfor structural support. Doesnt really have anything except floor..nothing vertical.

Tags
play–pac