Portable AC and Generator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The North Rim is at 8500 feet and an A/C will not be needed at night, perhaps not even in the daytime, when you won't be hanging around the campground anyway will you?

Here is a useful link for North Rim amenities. There is also a reservation line for Dinner in the Lodge given:
FAQs | Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've always heard that if you're running your A/C on generator and it runs out of gas, it will burn up the compressor. I have a small 5K unit that's only about 3 yr old, but for some reason is freezing up (probably low of freon). It was a Target "Fall Special" for $90 so no big deal. Anyway, I decided to try it with my ole Champion 3500/4000. SEVEN times minimum, I would start the gen and start the A/C and watch for frost to appear on the coils to know the compressor was running, then reach down and switch OFF the gas on the generator and wait for it to shut off.

One point of interest; when the generator would start pulsing (running out of gas), it would get to a point then shut down and stop almost immediately. Because it was under a load? Possibly. Intentional on the design? Dunno. All I know is, I would wait about 3 min between shutdowns and try it over and over...again about seven times in a row. The A/C always restarted.

Just thought I'd share that bit of worthless info this morning.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator