Portable generators - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #41

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
A little late to post, but can add our reasoning.

We have a 17 ft. Escape trailer with 160w. solar on the roof. It has always provided sufficient recharging of our single 126 Ah battery. We boondock/fish a lot, and power needs are furnace, lights (LED), fans, 200w. inverter for phone and computer charging. Exceptions: when we camped in Olympic NP and the HOH Rain Forest, the forest canopy blocked too much sun. We ended up in a state park with electrical hookups.
We have A/C and a microwave in the trailer, so summer and Southwest camping below 6000 ft. elevation is typically at sites with electrical power.
Last year, because of power outages due to brush fires, we bought a Honda 2200e, and a tri-power kit (propane/natural gas) from Hutch Mountain. Our intent is to never run the generator on gasoline, so we don't have the gas storage problems that Glenn outlined (post #17). We have used it at home on propane and on natural gas for emergency power. Works great, and is very quiet.

So, we have a propane/natural gas generator that we have the option of running off the trailer propane tanks, for A/C comfort when needed (and, of course, where the campsite environment is suitable for a quiet generator).
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #42

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
We have a 17ft Casita. I have tested a Honda 2000i running everything but the ac. Once I turned that on, the breaker tripped.
With that, I opted to buy the Predator 3500 inverter generator from Harbor Freight. Paid about $750 including tax, after the coupon.
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #43

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
my 2 cents on solar.

1. If you series connect the panels make sure the current ratings are the same because the output current will only be as high as the lowest output panel. The panels can be different voltages though. Also, if one of the panels or a section of one of the panels becomes shaded the entire string will stop producing.

2. If you parallel connect the panels make sure the open circuit voltage is the same because the resultant voltage will be the lowest value panel, limiting the output power. If one panel, or a portion of a panel becomes shaded the other panel(s) will still produce power.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #44

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I got a small generator for times when i need to run the furnace a lot in the fall and the sun isn't quite enough to keep the battery charged with an 80w panel. It is a 1000 watt sportman gen1000i that often goes on sale at homedepot for $150. It is able to charge the battery and run the fridge and is pretty quiet when doing it. It weights 20lbs and its tiny, all i need for when the sun isn't enough or when it is too shady/cloudy.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #45

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
First determine what you want to run off generator power...then buy a generator that produces about 10% more power than needed.

Without going into a lot of detail I ran a 26 foot travel trailer with a roof top A/C, LED lights, water pump, 32 inch HDTV and miscellaneous items with a Champion 3200 watt
Generator (quiet running inverter type approved form most state park campgrounds.

Thing is most if not all State Park Campgrounds limit generator use to a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening....this gets you past two meal periods and charges your battery. This worked out fine for me.
If boondocking you might use the generator for more hours.

Honda generators are very good quality but cost too much compared to the Champion that I bought on sale at Cabelas for about half the cost of a Honda.
The “quiet factor” should be considered.....the inverter type units publish their “DB”
Sound output levels right on the box they are shipped in...none are silent but they are much quieter than the cheap “whole house” generators.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #46

Name: Russell
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
We bought a Westinghouse 2200 at work for our mobile lab, it has worked well for us.
https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...6803Q10EYZHNF7

A lot cheaper than the Honda.
I have the Westinghouse iGen 2200 ($500) also. It's a very good alternative to the more expensive brands, although those who have invested $1K or more might be inclined to claim otherwise.
Procyonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #47

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightbluesky View Post
Please advise as to a wise choice for a relatively small to medium size portable generator. I have a 17 ft Casita and presently use a 60watt solar panel I place outside and chase the sun. Because I often find myself at campsites w/o power hookups for perhaps weeks at a time, I need a generator to supplement. Power needs are not extraordinary but solar alone not adequate.
Honda generators in the 2000 category seem a little pricey. Is the Harbor Freight generator dependable? Are smaller generators OK or should I continue looking in the 2000 range?
Thanks
Stay away from anything other than Honda and maybe Yamaha. Make sure it is four stroke and not two stroke....NOISE . I would very highly recommend the Honda 1000 . It supplies 12v for charging and 110Vac when needed. I upgraded to the Honda 2000 a few years ago and not really required as the 1000 would suffice and a little quieter.

As mentioned , determine what you will be using it for ; ie power required . If you are talking electric toaster, fry pans , heaters or any other high current consumption items then that will determine what to buy. Also when adding
up the current consumption ; add into the total just what you will be running at one time and not always the total devices as you will not always be running all at the same time. Inverter generators were developed for on board electronic devices as that required clean AC power. Devices such as toaster, fry pans, heaters , tools , AC motor driven equipment ; don't need inverter power.

Noise is a big issue when outdoors camping ; people like the quiet. Check to see if the Db sound rating is under full load or when at idle as that can change big time when current demand happens. Not all specs may be equal.
What one person sayd their generator is "pretty quiet" , other may say is loud. All in the ear of the beholder.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #48

Name: Mickey
Trailer: 18EC W&P Toy Hauler
Oklahoma
I use a Craftsman 3000 Inverter Generator. It works great and uses very little fuel. It usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. It is very quiet and, it is light weight. It has a heavy duty locking plug for the 30 amp service, although it does not produce 30 amps. I did have to buy a converter plug to go from the RV male 30 amp to the locking 30 amp on the generator. I know most will say the Honda 2200i is the best choice. But, I paid $300 new for this one vs $1200 for the Honda.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #49

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
I got a small generator for times when i need to run the furnace a lot in the fall and the sun isn't quite enough to keep the battery charged with an 80w panel. It is a 1000 watt sportman gen1000i that often goes on sale at homedepot for $150. It is able to charge the battery and run the fridge and is pretty quiet when doing it. It weights 20lbs and its tiny, all i need for when the sun isn't enough or when it is too shady/cloudy.
If you are going to use a generator this way, you should consider a LFP battery. The charge rate of antiquated battery technology (lead acid) is very low compared to LFP. A 100 Ah Battleborn LFP can be charged at 100 amps, although they suggest no more than 50 amps to get the estimated 3-5000 discharge cycles. If you use a 50 amp charger (750 watt generator load) you can charge the battery from 0% to 95% in less than 2 hours!!

As a side note we spent 80 days on the road to Alaska this summer and never plugged in. The 200 watt solar panels and truck kept the battery charged and I have a 12 volt truckfridge!

The only disadvantage to LFP is cost. My kids will inherit a battery instead of money!
Old 02-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #50

Name: Louis
Trailer: Big Foot
Alaska
Gen sets

food for thought.
a 1000 watt gen will not run a microwave.
I have a small trailer with a built in microwave
I have had a couple of 1000 watt gens and finally replaced it with the
Harbor Freight 2000 watt and love it.
We do a lot of boon docking and I keep a 100' extension cord
That way I can get the gen a long ways away from me and other campers
and it runs everything on Econ mode.
captlou3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #51

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightbluesky View Post
Please advise as to a wise choice for a relatively small to medium size portable generator. I have a 17 ft Casita and presently use a 60watt solar panel I place outside and chase the sun. Because I often find myself at campsites w/o power hookups for perhaps weeks at a time, I need a generator to supplement. Power needs are not extraordinary but solar alone not adequate.
Honda generators in the 2000 category seem a little pricey. Is the Harbor Freight generator dependable? Are smaller generators OK or should I continue looking in the 2000 range?
Thanks
I went with the Honda 2000i. I also have a 100w solar setup and a Goal Zero which will recharge either from 12v, solar, or 110v. Primarily the generator runs my air conditioner and Dometic CX50 overnight. The generator is mounted just in front of the propane tanks. That way all I have to do is plug in the trailer and start the generator. The trailer will be cool in less than 5 minutes.

I seldom stay where there are hookups but I move camp often and the trailer battery charges while traveling. I only use the generator when I need the A/C and I can't remember the last time I fooled with the solar. But I like having them both available just in case.
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #52

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
I'd look for a 2200w genny as they have a 15-16Amp steady running capacity. The 2200 is a peak load sustainability for only a few seconds. 15Amps useful for AC, and portable heater, and microwave, toaster, etc. Simply google search "2200w inverter generator" and dozens of products show up. Some even at your local big box hdwe store (returnable even if used and worn out) as Ive seen it several times.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #53

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Generators

Have not used my generator on the Casita 17 SD yet but have an older Honda EU2000. Here in Florida there are storms that have power out for sometimes days. The generator does duty keeping the fridge and freezer going. I also use it for some of my lawn tools on my acre which keeps it going and relatively easy to start. I always use ethinol free gas in all my lawn equipment including the jenny and add a little Seafoam to the fuel. In the winter I purposely go to the shed and start it just to run long enough to get really hot exhaust and change gas in the carb.

If I have to replace it the next one will be either Honda or Yamaha.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #54

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
Stay away from anything other than Honda and maybe Yamaha. .
When I was working as an electrician , our shop had numerous generators .
We had Yamaha , Champion, and Honda generators and the worst of the bunch was Honda . Nothing more frustrating than being on the jobsite , the generator fails and then having to go home without pay. Honda’s cost me , my family and my employer too much money
Give me a Yamaha anytime . !!!
Honda’s are way overpriced and too unreliable
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #55

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We run a Yamaha 2000 when needed. Usually a couple of hours at the end of a rainy 2 day stretch. It runs the microwave etc... would highly recommend either the Honda or Yamaha. Except in dispersed camping even the quietest of generators creates more noise than desired and must/should be sparsely used.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I carry a very small (900W/700W) propane only Ryobi generator (unfortunately, no longer available) that is only used to refill my batteries after 4-5 days of cloudy days (I have 320 watts of solar).

It won't run the AC, microwave, heater heater, or barely the refrigerator, but does fine feeding the 35 amp lithium converter. So far I have only run it once, and then more as a demo rather than need.

I saw a Facebook ad for a Wen 1000 watt propane only generator, but have not found a supplier other than Facebook (where I wouldn't buy a generator). It is not even listed on their website.

Both were designed to use either an adapter hose for 20 pound tanks or disposable 1 pound tanks.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #57

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Generators

We have a 17 ft Casita and a 2000 Honda inverter and a 3500 Predator (Harbor Freight) inverter. The 2000 Honda will run the AC OR microwave. The 3500 Predator will run the AC and microwave at the same time, it will not run the heat strip in the AC unit and micro. at same time but it will run ceramic heater and micro. at same time The Predator is quiter than the Honda. At the difference in price I cannot bring myself to purchase a Honda and I consider quality equal. I mount my gen. on a shelf over the propane tanks on tongue, it lives there comfortably 3500 Predator is 100 lb. We use gen when on outer banks campground without hookups. We camp in gen allowed area, everyone knows what to expect. It' a campground with no hookups these Gen are so quiet a fussy neighbor needs to stay in no Gen area or get over it.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #58

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
We have a 17ft Casita and a 2000 Honda inverter and a 3500 Predator Inverter (Harbor Freight). The 2000 will run AC or microwave. The 3500 will run AC and micro together but will not run heat strip and micro at same time but will run ceramic heater and micro at same time. Gen lives on a shelf on tongue over propane tanks. 3500 weighs 100lbs. We use Gen on no hookup campgrounds on outer banks of NC in Gen allowed area, everyone knows what to expect. It's a campground with no hookups, picky campers need to move to no Gen area or get over it.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #59

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Brightbluesky,

We have a 1000w Sportsman inverter generator. It's just right for us in our 13' Scamp. (No a/c, microwave or coffee maker.) We carry it on the outside & fill it when I fill the TV, so no need to carry xtra gas. Only need to run it as needed to keep the battery up. Since we can run off grid for 2-3 days on the battery alone, only need to run it every couple of days for an hour or so. I was never really enthusiastic about getting a genny but this one is light and really quiet. Also, I have replaced the stock 30 amp shore power cable with a 15 amp bulkhead plug, so no longer need to carry any adapters, Have never been to a place with hookups that did not provide 15 amp service.

Dennis.

p.s. it only weighs 22#.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #60

Name: Bonnie
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
My house however has a 220 volt well so the generator has to be larger more powerful model than I would want to haul around.
P.S Like he said INVERTER generators, that is what they are called!
Ditto.
The smallest capacity 240VAC generator I found was a Champion 3500 watt sustained (4000 peak) that I use a back-up (more like a grid outage preventer) for half of the house. It's not big enough for a whole house provider so I've selected the priority circuits for the 6 zone gen-trans switch box. We lost power for 13 days in December 2008(?). That was the incentive to make the purchase. We've not lost power for more than an hour since.
As noted, these are too unwieldy for 'portable' camping use. I found a used, locally listed, 1600 watt, 4-stroke, suitcase-style inverter generator for just a few hundred bucks and snapped that up. It's labelled as a Briggs & Stratton, but like the Champion, it's also made in China. It's big enough to run the Casita 17's air conditioner (only). We've brought it with us, but found that the battery provided enough power for 2 1/2 days of our use (no A/C, obviously) without dropping below 12.2 volts. Now that one stays home, too.
JonMB
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator