'Poser" for Donna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Donna, did you ever make any headway into the powdercoating of hotplate thread that was listed down below?
I haven't heard back from my P.Cer guy yet, but my pieces are still over at his shop. He had also informed me that the chrome plating shop next door to his shop does BLACK CHROME, which also might be a nice way to go. At least if the stovetop does discolor, its already BLACK and SHINY
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium
Hey for what its worth I used automotive engine paint (black) it woks great.

Don
D Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #3

Registry
We're already redoing the stovetop grills in Black, just looking for a different/contrasting color
Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Auto parts stores like NAPPA do sell engine paint in many colors. They rate it to withstand high temps and it really does work...We used an almond colored engine paint to freshen up our stove top and have had no problems with it.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 25 ft Bigfoot / 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4X4
Registry
We also used high heat engine paint. It looked really good to begin with but has chipped off in places from lots of use. Also, the paint gave off a "smell" for the first while when using the stove. Just some things to be aware of.
F.Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #6

Registry
Well my 'parts' were done by 5:00p.m. today but I was at the other end of town (having a night out after work with the Trailer Goddess) and couldn't pick them up. The shop isn't open Saturdays/Sundays so I'll have to go pick them up Monday. In our trailer this stove will most likely never be used, as we enjoy being outdoors as much as we can. Thus we cook, eat and clean up outside under our awning. I don't know when I'd try firing up the newly coated stove to see how heat resistant it really is. We have a Glass Egg Meet coming up here for the long weekend this month and I'd like to keep the stove looking as nice as I can seeing as how about 95% of the rest of the trailer's inside(s) are redone!
Old 05-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Finally heard something on the Eastwood forum...it's an active group, just not the Powder Coatings forum . Here's what I asked:
Quote:
I need a definitive answer. Is it possible to powder coat a (kitchen) stove top and have the finish last? I've heard "yes" and I've heard "no." This is for a propane stove, so there is an open flame.
Here's a couple of answers:
Quote:
1. Regular powder can withstand occasional exposure to temps of up to about 250f. As long as the burner flame is far enough away from the edge of the burner cutout and high enough to prevent the stove top from getting overly hot, it should be fine. There are 2 ways to know for sure if it will hold up. The first would be to fire it up under normal cooking conditions and take a temperature reading of the surface with an Infrared Thermometer. If it stays under that 250f mark, you should be fine. The other way to check is just coat it and give it a try! LOL I'd go the first route myself, but then I have an IR thermometer. Hopefully, someone else on here may have already tried it and can tell you more. Proper prep is important too. I've read posts regarding coating over porcelain, and you may want to do a search to see if you can find info on that. Never done it myself.

2. If you're not hung up on a particular color, like Colman Camp-stove Green, you might also be able to get by with a high temp powder (good to 1000 F.). Short of that, ceramic will definitely do the job.
One thing I've found out, is most powder coating businesses also coat in ceramic...that may be worth looking into also
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #8

Registry
Thanks for 'digging' for me Donna!!
I do have an infrared digi-thermometer and I'll give the pre use, heat test a try.
As I said earlier though we prolly hardly ever use this thing, but nice to know what we'd be up against IF we did need to use it.

We are in the final throughs of restocking the Trillium after its fitting of new lights and covering the 'glass walls with Interlux Brightside Marine paint. (3 coats) ....Getting ready for our Glass Egg Meet in twoooo weeks
Old 05-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #9

Registry
just about finished reloading 'stuff' into the trailer in advance of our meet in two weeks. I almost tripped over my infrared thermometer so I thought I'd better take the time to test the heat from the lit stovetop. I turned on the propane, lit the stovetop (with no cover on it, remember?) and took some sample shots after waiting a few minutes with the heat controls on high. Was NOT impressed with my findings. A few tests aimed at the center of the element registered temps averaging 400 and higher. Re-tested heat aiming at the flame area coming out of the sides of the element with similar results so I guess I'll just have to live without using the stovetop untill I can replenish my savings account and have the parts striped and recoated in ceramic....

But I'll just bet its gunna look super clean! LOL!!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Would it be cheaper just to buy a new stove top? My avocado green stove top has a chip and the drip tray under the knobs is missing, and there appears to be a rusting problem underneath the top. I think I will just shop around for the best price for one. Even with the exchange rate it might be cheaper to buy in the States.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #11

Registry
Replacement eh....sounds like a sane idea and I think you are right on the money about cost of parts (for the most part) in the U.S.