Possible antenna mast? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Possible antenna mast?

Ordered this for another purpose, but it looks like a great antenna mast possibility as it goes to 24 ft and has an Acme thread on the end (like a painters pole) to attach stuff..........

https://eversprout.com/product/24-extension-pole/

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Antenna Mast

Very clever. Make your own adapters with:
https://mgs4u.com/painters-pole-exte...6fd43adaa#tips
Be sure to scroll down to see all of the adapters
Antennas and so much more! Post your ideas here . . .
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
And you will need guy wires to secure it in position so that it does not fall over onto someone's else's camper. The base would have to be secured in the ground as well.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
Very clever. Make your own adapters with:
https://mgs4u.com/painters-pole-exte...6fd43adaa#tips
Be sure to scroll down to see all of the adapters
Antennas and so much more! Post your ideas here . . .
Forget the antenna pole. That looks like a great pole for washing trucks and campers.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #5

Name: Allen
Trailer: in the market
Quebec
Multi purpose pole

looks like a great idea & has several other useful applications
thekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #6

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
That is neat. Will it attract lightning?
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
And you will need guy wires to secure it in position so that it does not fall over onto someone's else's camper. The base would have to be secured in the ground as well.
I don'[t know about you and where you like to camp, but I don't want to be within 24' of anybody camping.

I have a 33' pole that I put sometimes as an antenna support. Guying isn't necessary. I drive a short metal fence post into the ground with about 18" above ground. I use bungie cords to attach the base of the pole to fence post. The antenna is attached to the tip, I use and END FEDZ antenna with a bit of tension at the top.

It's kind difficult to describe the full and complete reason why it's so stable, but it is.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #8

Name: Rodney
Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Registry
I am using a telescopic aluminum pool cleaning pole, its 12' when extended. I have a short section of 1-1/2" pvc pipe secured to the rear of my Casita that the pole slips into. The pole is then secured in place by a rubber plumbing connector. I saw this set-up in another post and used the idea. It's low cost and works well.
Rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Jayco
Colorado
Couple comments, yes many of us in the western US don't tend to camp "next to" anyone.

I did something similar a few years ago and had a cell "hot spot" and an external antenna which is just a little plastic device that fits in your hand. I think I used an old extendable tent pole. As I recall my 10-12 pole "barely" got signal. (And I prefer fibreglass over that "metal pole")

I was going camping for a week, and have my own company, I simply can't "disappear" or I won't be "self employed". So this might fit the bill for this. (You can also use with a cell booster, but I decided as long as I could check email each day, I would be ok.)

In fact in this use you would just put pole up to "work" for my 30 minutes a day or so. I had tried "going to town" and finding a hot spot the prior year but it was hit n miss. As I recall I didn't leave it up when I was not at camp (think awning)

This will probably be how I semi-retire, as I don't have enough $$ to fully retire, (nor do I actually want to).

Bob in CO
(shopping for my "recession deal" on a FG camper later this year)
rlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have also used a 14' pruning extension pole to hold up the center of an NVIS antenna and have had good success with that and a tuner.
https://www.radionerds.com/index.php/AS-2259
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I run an eagle one antenna mounted on the back corner of my scamp and that works great.

This looks like it could work pretty great with a buddy pole
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
So this is what I have been using for a few years now after trying every other kind of extendable pole that I could find!

These are the poles the Utility Crews use on live powerlines to reset wires and circuit breakers on the line so I figure they are perfect for Antenna Masts in almost any setting.

We have stuck 20' Diamond Vertical on them along with 70cm Yagis at the same time and when guyed properly it is amazing really how strong they are.
All sections lock positively in extension and you can clamp directly the any section really without crushing them!

OK I can not get a pic in here?

Hastings Hot Stick is what I am talking about.

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...=39358&redir=Y

And I have paid $100 for 35' models too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #13

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Antenna mounts

One thing I have used is an old umbrella stand. I have one which is heavy, rides in the back of the truck, but it works well. I have a push up pole that nicely fits the base. If i want to go extreme, I have a 43' pole. Bit of overkill, but I can have several antennas up on it. Wish I had the Scamp when I did some "rover" radio work. Takes about 20 min to set up, one upper support to keep it from falling, normally would put the TV's front wheel on the stand to keep it from moving. A painter's pole or the MFJ pushup fibreglas mast works well also. Guess we have a few hams here! Kenwood TS-480 SAT for me, autotuner works like a charm!

Derswede (N4ABA)
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote