Power cord and Inlet Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Power cord and Inlet Question

Hey Everyone,

We are both not electrically savy, but I (Matt) am a quick learner and have a general idea of how electricity works and have done some wiring. We bought an RV cord (Camco 30A male to 30A female) from Canadian Tire like this.

We also need to replace the Bargman 30A inlet in our Boler and have been looking at the Furion Inlets on Vintage Trailer but they look a little different. Does anyone know if the prong set up is compatible with the power cord we purchased? Its a bit confusing as the new type is locking. I have been unsuccessful in trying to find one that is the same as the Bargman. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #2

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Just bought a marinco 30amp rv inlet. The one you are looking at is a marine grade inlet and the power cord you have is a rv connector type. The male part on the inlet is not the same on a marine grade as on a rv. Just look on the pin partern and you will see what I mean. The other thing is that in campground you need the rv male conmector, I dont think the marine will fit.

https://www.americanrvcompany.com/mo...p?itemid=11619
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Most of the 30 amp inlets I've seen use twist lock connectors. As Frederic stated it looks like you purchased a 30 amp extension cord with a standard TT-30 female connector - I've never seen a TT-30 inlet. To use this cord with a standard twist lock inlet you would would need an adapter, or better yet, replace the cord's female connector with a twist lock that matches a standard inlet (a NEMA L5-30R).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I Installed the marinco receptacle with a wether tight cap and got the matching power cord.

If U do that you will B happy come camping time because the Marinco receptacle seals tight and keeps the ants out, the ants that crawl up the power cord and enter the camper through the big hole where you shove the cord in when not in use.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

Name: kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13
New York
Registry
A newbie question here, At the campgrouds, is there some special plug I need to use ? My egg came with a heavy duty extension cord that just plugs inot my outside outlet. Do I need more than that? I am planning on leaving on my great adventure this weekend and I want my electric creature comforts,especially my ceramic heater- its snowing up here in the mountains!
adkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
What kind of connector is on each end of the heavy duty cord?
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The answer is Maybe.

You can find the Adapters at Walmart. They have a selection of adapters and RV items and are not as expensive as a camper store or campground.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

Name: kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13
New York
Registry
Walmart has several listed, which one should I get? I am staying in KOA's mostly..and have a 5000BTU air conditioner and small fridge.
Road Power 30/15-Amp RV Power Adapter Cord
Road Power 30/50-Amp RV Power Adapter Cord
Thanks for all of the good advice, I love FGRV!

adkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #9

British Columbia
Well we have decided not to spend $220 for both a new cord and an inlet. We are going use the cord we bought at Canadian Tire and cut the end off on use the newer style twist lock type and also purchase the furion inlet. Has anyone done this before? I am no electrician but it seems to be pretty straight forward.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Ground - use a meter

As long as you get the ground wire connected to the correct terminal, all will be well. Use a meter to make sure it's correct!
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #11

British Columbia
Will do! Got a voltmeter so not a problem.

Thanks!