Power inlet receptacle. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Power inlet receptacle.

I’m rebuilding my 1970 year old boler, I’m redoing all electrical , but there is not much for electricity in the trailer it self, there is just the plug in the counter but I might add on other just because I can. The exterior 3 blade 15 amp receptacle was missing so I need replace it, I see there are a few of them on amazon. Which receptacle do you have? The old fashioned 3 straight blade or the new 3 round blade receptacle.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You need to consider a GFI outlet,at least for the outside of your trailer.
Wired properly you can use a GFI on the inside and still protect a couple of regular outlets down stream on the same circuit even in conjunction with a covered outlet on the outside of the trailer.
Whether you use the old school shape or the newer rectangular style outlets is just a matter of aesthetics.

I see you mention a "three round blade" receptacle.
Is Canada going to some euro style thing?
What appliances come with it at your Walmart?
Got a picture? does it look like this???...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
US campgrounds almost all have pedestals with a...

NEMA 5-20R: for 15 or 20 amps (C below)
RV 30A - typically used on smaller campers like our 'eggs' (
RV 50A - typically used on big motor homes (A)
Attached Thumbnails
RV-connection-4[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
My Campster has a pretty simple 120v electric system - 2 outlets, period. I had to replace the outside receptacle because the ground pin was broken. This is the one i installed:

Leviton 4937 Weatherproof Inlet on Flush Mount Wallplate with Aluminum Cover, Straight Blade Receptacle, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00074USHY..._NKWuAbG9FTHMP

It allows you to use a regular extension cord between the post and the trailer. There is a plastic electric box on the inside of the wall.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I see you mention a "three round blade" receptacle.
Is Canada going to some euro style thing?
What appliances come with it at your Walmart?
Got a picture? does it look like this???...
OP possibly referring to a “twist lock” when saying “round” as the connectors are essentially arranged in a circular configuration????
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
While rewiring my Boler1300 I put one, 110 outlet on Bench end and another under bench seats in back around to closet wall, and another going to a waterproof box to have an outlet on the outside. I like the one outside.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
This is the receptacle I used. It includes everything you need to convert the Scamp mouse hole receptacle to a removable cord. The power cord that came with our Scamp is utilized. I think it should work on your Boler? Maybe someone can weigh in? It has a twist lock arrangement of three blades. I also bought a 90 degree cord to take some of the strain off the fiberglass at the receptacle.

I'm are very happy with this setup. It frees up a large storage area under the dinette/ bed and eliminates a hole for pests to enter. It was recommended by a friend (Ray D) years ago. Wish I listened sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
larnin about electricity

before you go to far may I suggest you get yourself one of the free vom s at harbor freight. you will need this little meter for many things 12v and 110v being at the top.

keep asking keep reading you will learn its not rocket science! now personally I would that has been suggested keep everything to a minimum thus one circuit for 110v, and one circuit for 12v I would not use a converter in such a small trailer.

kiss everytime!

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
OP possibly referring to a “twist lock” when saying “round” as the connectors are essentially arranged in a circular configuration????
AHHH I think you are on the right track.
You're thinking of the shore power plug.
I was thinking of an outside receptacle (outlet)
Shore power should be a plug whether its on a cord or trailer mount.
I really like my twistlock on a 30A cord with a 30A plug for the post, but a simple 12G cord hard wired to the trailer with a straight plug for the post might be the best choice for a trailer with minimal 110V load.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
This is the receptacle I used. It includes everything you need to convert the Scamp mouse hole receptacle to a removable cord. The power cord that came with our Scamp is utilized. I think it should work on your Boler? Maybe someone can weigh in? It has a twist lock arrangement of three blades. I also bought a 90 degree cord to take some of the strain off the fiberglass at the receptacle.

I'm are very happy with this setup. It frees up a large storage area under the dinette/ bed and eliminates a hole for pests to enter. It was recommended by a friend (Ray D) years ago. Wish I listened sooner.

Tom
Sweet set up! I designed my own from industrial Daniel Woodhead cord components. It works great, but I didn't learn of the ready made shore power plugs until later.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #11

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Ac input plug conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensie View Post
I’m rebuilding my 1970 year old boler, I’m redoing all electrical , but there is not much for electricity in the trailer it self, there is just the plug in the counter but I might add on other just because I can. The exterior 3 blade 15 amp receptacle was missing so I need replace it, I see there are a few of them on amazon. Which receptacle do you have? The old fashioned 3 straight blade or the new 3 round blade receptacle.
Here's what I did,,,
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #12

Mid Left Coast
if I was restoring a vintage trailer, what *I* would do electrically would include...

1) 30A twistlock with lock ring on outer shell like TomK showed (and like is on my Escape)

2) PD or WFCO 30-45A DC converter/charger + AC breaker + DC fuse panel

3) either 1 12V group 27M, or dual 6V golf cart (GC2/T105) batteries

4) solar 30A MPPT controller and 100-300 watts of solar on the roof.

5) all LED lighting, inside and out. amber mood lighting as well as white work lighting.

6) 'cigar' sockets + USB charge outlets at both ends of trailer

7) car stereo with CD and bluetooth, built in 5.25" car speakers in upper bulkhead, plus external jack for a pair of indoor/outdoor speakers
Old 01-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if I was restoring a vintage trailer, what *I* would do electrically would include...

1) 30A twistlock with lock ring on outer shell like TomK showed (and like is on my Escape)

2) PD or WFCO 30-45A DC converter/charger + AC breaker + DC fuse panel

3) either 1 12V group 27M, or dual 6V golf cart (GC2/T105) batteries

4) solar 30A MPPT controller and 100-300 watts of solar on the roof.

5) all LED lighting, inside and out. amber mood lighting as well as white work lighting.

6) 'cigar' sockets + USB charge outlets at both ends of trailer

7) car stereo with CD and bluetooth, built in 5.25" car speakers in upper bulkhead, plus external jack for a pair of indoor/outdoor speakers
No surge protector on the 120 VAC side?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Why do you need a jack for outdoor speakers? You can buy waterproof bluetooth speakers.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why do you need a jack for outdoor speakers? You can buy waterproof bluetooth speakers.
those need to be recharged, and will only play music from a bluetooth source, such as a cellphone.... my main use for the outdoor speakers is at a music festival we go to twice a year that broadcasts everything on low power FM radio. my plan is to connect the outdoor speakers to the 'rear' channels of the car stereo, and the indoor speakers to the front channels, so I can use the radios fader to switch between them.

you can see my outdoor speakers here, on the ground, speaker wires gaffer taped to go through the door,

in that particular case, the music was coming through a compact 120vac component system as we had campground power. we'd only had the Casita a few weeks and hadn't had time to work up anything more permanent.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #16

How about an exterior power outlet to run the bluetooth speakers?
Old 01-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #17

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How about an exterior power outlet to run the bluetooth speakers?
how do I play FM radio through BT speakers?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #18

Thought your radio has bluetooth, but if not, you can get a bluetooth transmitter that likely will plug into the same jack as would your cord.
I just have a personal AM/FM radio with ear bud so I don't bother others. Did consider a bluetooth transmitter for my iPod Classic, but all the same music is on my iPhone.
And, on my iPhone I have an app, "I Heart Radio" which plays hundreds of radio stations. You might look for a similar US app.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #19

Mid Left Coast
car stereos with bluetooth are players, not sources. they will play from a bluetooth source like your phone, they won't connect to bluetooth speakers.

the radio I want to play is a low power FM at a twice-a-year music festival. its not streamed anywheres.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #20

Got ya. So can you plug a transmitter into the same jack you would use for the cord? You might want to find a better one than this though.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 5.30.49 PM.png  

Tags
boler