Power Reclining Bed modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Power Reclining Bed modification

Camping is spending lots of time outside, exploring, hiking, cooking, relaxing so I know the first question is “Why would you want a reclining bed?” . There are times when we have hook-ups and in the evening we enjoy a little TV later in the evening, I am also a huge F1 fan and on the rare occasion I am able to watch the race.

We all know how awkward and uncomfortable propping a pillow up against the wall is, and those blind cord anchors can be a real pain in the back. Finally I must confess the real reason is the “Cool Factor”, being able to push a button while laying in bed and get lifted into a perfect TV viwing position, this mod is just so cool.

I am writing up full details on how I did this mod which I will post as soon, but to show what it does here is a short video

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Wow! That's cool
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Power Reclining Bed

Love this idea, but would only work for me if I'm plugged in somewhere.

Anyone come up with this type of modification with those hydraulic type arms used on hatchback cars? No power needed and I think I would like the back to come up a bit more from what I saw in the video.

As a "fewer moving parts" type person, and avoiding things that have a power draw when at all possible, I like the concept, but there must be another way.

Anyone?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Love this idea, but would only work for me if I'm plugged in somewhere.

Anyone come up with this type of modification with those hydraulic type arms used on hatchback cars? No power needed and I think I would like the back to come up a bit more from what I saw in the video.

As a "fewer moving parts" type person, and avoiding things that have a power draw when at all possible, I like the concept, but there must be another way.

Anyone?
Since we usually only watch TV if there is shore power and the use of the recline mechanism is discretionary I am not worried about power consumption on this item.

You could use the same principle but instead of the 12V actuators you could use a system similar to patio lounge chairs where an arm slots into a notch.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Not trying to evoke sympathy here, but I'm afraid a motorized bed would remind me too much of the times when I've HAD to use those. I think extra pillows is the answer for me.

But I admire the innovation. If anyone can pull that off, you can, Ian. Thanks for all your ideas.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Silly me, when I first looked at the picture I imagined you were just trying to get your partner to snuggle with you.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Silly me, when I first looked at the picture I imagined you were just trying to get your partner to snuggle with you.
I never thought of that but I like the way you think
Old 06-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #8

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post

I am pretty sure that if that is what I used this mod for, I would get the remote taken away!
That is a pretty cool setup Ian, looks awful comfy too.
Jay

Sent from my iPod touch using Fiberglass RV
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have to use a reclined position to take the stress off of my back as I have degenerative spine issues. So the ability to recline in my trailer is totally understandable to me.

I have a single size Ikea slatted, all wood, bed frame with a motorized lift. Got it in their scratch and dent area for $100.00. I have used it everyday for 4 years and it is still going strong. It doubles as my office chair and TV recliner. I am considering modifying it for use in my Campster and Sunrader. I am not sure what voltage the DC motor runs on, I have never closely looked at the labels, it does have a brick power supply converting the power for use on 120 AC. Unfortunately they are no longer sold in the USA.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Great job on that mod, Ian. I was looking forward to seeing it done after you told me about it at the Escape Rally. Looking forward to seeing the workings.

Just one question though. Why raise your feet up, instead of your head?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
For anyone interested here is a link to the instructions Reclining Bed Modification in our Escape 19

Picture of the major components
Old 08-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Another great Ian G. creation, love it!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote