Preparing my 1998 Scamp 16 for Fulltime - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Fulltimer West of the Rockies
Preparing my 1998 Scamp 16 for Fulltime

I just purchased a 1998 Scamp 16 and I’m refurbishing it so I can go Fulltime when I retire at the end of Aug. So far I fixed:

Leaking water tank. The tank itself wasn’t leaking but the inlet hose wasn’t clamped. I replaced the hose with some I ordered from Scamp. I couldn’t stop the hose from leaking even with a hose clamp so I applied multiple lawyers of polyurethane glue around the base of the hose where it touches the fiberglass. I also threaded a sock over the hose to check for leaks going forward. So far so good. Since it was allowed to leak I had to repair the floor. I scraped out all the soft loose wood without punching through. I used multiple lawyers of Bondo expoy resin and fiberglass sheet to repair it. I cut a piece of 3/8 plywood to shape and coated it with epoxy resin and glued it down over the repaired area for added strength.

I washed the curtains. Sprayed the cushions with upholstery cleaner and rubbed them with a damp white terry cloth towel, rinsing when it got dirty. I cleaned the carpet the same way. I used the towel and general purpose orange cleaner for the wall covering.

I wire brushed the frame under the trailer, hosed it off, let it dry and painted with Rustoleum Rust Reformer
I replaced the old Smoke and Carbon alarms with a new First alert SCo5CN combination alarm
I replaced the light bulbs with LED’s and installed 3 battery Push LED’s throughout
I cut some Lexan scrap pieces at a 45 degree angle to trim the excess Butyl caulk around the exterior (doesn’t mar the Gelcoat)
I removed all the Belly Band caulk (silicone), taped it off and applied Dap White Butyl Flashing/Gutter caulk. Its messy but I can see it will provide good protection. Removing the tape is going to be a pain. I’m going to have to carefully use a razor.
I’m going to ditch the microwave as I need the storage. I never use one anyway.
I bought a fold up expandable counter. I could just lay it on the opened drawer?
I ordered Caps and Washes to replace a few that are missing
I’ll bring it in a RV dealer to have the Electric brakes and tires checked out
It doesn’t have a shower, factory water heater or heater and weighs in at 1550 dry.
I have a electric heater and propane one for when it gets cold.
I’m thinking about a 12 volt cooler
I’m going to install two 12 volt receptacles inside
The only thing I’m going to cook inside is water so I’m bringing a Coleman two burner stove
I’m thinking of using a short hose and 2 ½ gallon collapsible carrier for Grey water
The trailer is growing on me. I love that most things can be fixed at a reasonable price.
My goal is to leave the interior uncluttered and limit the amount of stuff I bring with me.
I’m sure looking back I would do some things differently but “you go to war with the Army you have”

Thanks for reading
Bob in New Jersey
bobflhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflhtc View Post
..........I’m thinking about a 12 volt cooler..........Bob in New Jersey
If you get a 12 volt cooler, get the compressor type. The thermoelectric or Peltier type are extremely inefficient, as in not much cooling and a dead battery.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
sounds like you have a plan Bob.

I'm glad you spotted the leak in the freshwater tank before TOTAL floor rot. However, I've read the tank can sweat from condensation and sometimes floor rot can be caused by that. Just thought I'd let you know so you can keep an eye out.

Safe travels!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Fulltimer West of the Rockies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
sounds like you have a plan Bob.

I'm glad you spotted the leak in the freshwater tank before TOTAL floor rot. However, I've read the tank can sweat from condensation and sometimes floor rot can be caused by that. Just thought I'd let you know so you can keep an eye out.

Safe travels!
Thanks that could have been part of it. Unfortunately the drain doesn't completely empty the tank either. It was pretty rotted. I think the worse part is getting rid of the smell. Its definitely something I'm going to keep an eye out for.
bobflhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

You might want to read the thread we started called Preparing a 1991 Scamp. We've averaged 7.5 months per year for the last 13 years and you can see some things we've done to increase and improve a rig for long term trips.

wishing you well from Newfoundland.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp