Previous Owner's Updates - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Previous Owner's Updates

I am looking at purchasing a 2007 Scamp 19' and have some reservations. The current owner has added a new roof top A/C above the eating area in the rear of the trailer. I have always seen the roof A/C about midway on the 19' and was wondering if anyone knew if the roof was sufficiently braced to support the A/C in this location. There is not a roof top unit where it normally sits. I allso have a concern that the sleeping area may no be cool enough if the A/C is all the way at the other end of the trailer.

Also, he has added a Champion 3000 watt generator to a shelf attached to the rear bumper. It looks rather heavy. Would the added weight of the generator and the A/C at the rear of the trailer have an adverse effect on how the rig would handle? It is pulled by a 2002 Dodge Dakota v6 that looks to be in good shape: he is selling the rig as a package which is good as I don't have a truck.

The hitch is secured to the bed with 5 bolts on each side. They do not go through to the frame. is this legit?

I have wanted one of these for a long time and they are hard to find here in Houston. Now that I am retired it is time to start doing some traveling but I don't want to looking at a bunch of problems from the previous owner's handy work.

It is currently on both Dallas and Houston Craigslist at what appears to be attractive pricing.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments you may have.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I'd call Scamp and ask them all the questions.

I like the 5th wheel rails mounted to the frame, but this was only about 400 lbs before the Air conditioner and the generator took the weight off the hitch. I'd weigh it before you buy it and then call Scamp and ask them the questions. My 16' weighs more than that.

Q. Can roof air conditioners be added to older Scamp trailers? A. All 5th wheel Scamps can use roof air conditioners. Older 5th wheels may require the oak reinforcement supports (can be purchased from the Scamp parts department).
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
I have never had a 5th wheel. With that out of the way. I would rather have the AC a ways away from the bedroom. I hate the noise.

As far as the generator goes get it off of the rear bumper and put it in the bed of the truck. Then call it a day.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Because of the distance required from the hitch to the corner of the truck’s rear bumper to provide clearance for the Scamp 19 to swing when turning, the hitch for a Scamp 19 is often installed so that the point of connection (the ball) is behind the axle rather than slightly in front of the axle as is typical for 5th wheel hitches. It does not really create a problem because the coupler weight is not great enough to create a lever effect, lifting the front wheels off the ground or even lifting them enough to result in loss of steering control. The Scamp 19 is not really a 5th wheel in its means of connection but it does connect in a similar location. A lot of 5th wheels that are built to work with conventional 5th wheel hitches have been converted to a Scamp type connection with the advent of the Andersen hitching system. The Andersen provides for a lighter weight hitch.
Regardless, if installed by Scamp, their standard installation method is to drill holes through the truck bed and use steel squares below the bed as backing washers without any attachment to the frame. I personally was not comfortable with their installation when I had my Scamp 19 and had brackets fabricated (a bit expensive) when I owned a Scamp 19. I would suspect Scamp did the original hitch installation in the seller’s truck. However, lots of Scamp 19s are being towed with Scamp installed hitches. It seems to be sufficient. Only you can determine if it makes you nervous.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote