Product testing: Harbor Freight suction cups - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Product testing: Harbor Freight suction cups

Update on an item essential to my variation on the Gander Mtn. canopy to awning conversion suggested by Eddie Longest. Dumbbell suction cup lifters still holding atop Burro after eight days. I returned one of four purchased which I felt was not holding out of the box and tested the remaining stock for one which was strong. All appeared to hold when placed against steel store shelves. Gallon cans of body filler nearby because HF associates these suction cups with autobody work. The gallon cans have a translucent plastic cup which snaps over the top and holds the tube of catalyst. There is a good bit of give to the top surface. I found cups which would not maintain vacuum pretty quickly by trying to pick up two cans with a dumbbell. It is quite difficult to determine visually which ones will fail as apparent defects in the molded rubber associate with reliable suction in application. Better to test than guess.

There were at least two which I would not trust out of a dozen, not counting the one I returned. Good chance of getting duds. For six bucks, it's worth trying to pick the good ones in the store and avoid a return trip.

Below is foto of the use to which I put my two spare suction lifters.

I added the ladder to my bathroom pack list because I need it to place suctions cups atop Burro as tie points for the Gander Mtn. canopy to awning conversion discussed by the ParkLinerites on another thread. I was already wedging the aux. grey tank next the hopper with blanket pads to avoid movement. The bungees and suction cups have three days service and haven't detached.

Also have brass rod (not seen) which swivels in a rotating end hanger inside shower at photo left and enters another hanger right side of shower opening and is secured by dropping a cotter pin thru a hole in the rod. I set my Coleman upright cooler behind the rod on the shower grate aft of hopper and bungee to the rod. I also have a spare slinky hanging from the curtain rod hooks behind toilet.

It's an ambitious little warehouse. After buying the trailer and seeing the leak problem I had with all plumbing in the shower, I regretted that I had not been fortunate enuf to happen on a "dance hall" version without bath. Now that hopper, shower faucet and all supplies are replaced, I feel better and rationalize my storage solutions by noting that stowing stuff in the open dance hall might have been equally complicated by the lack of transverse partitions.

The central conclusion is that these suckers are an expedient, movable, non-destructive solution to the problem of adding cargo rings and tiedowns. They should be of particular interest to owners of trailers with smooth inner, as well as outer surfaces (UHaul, Burro, EggCamper).

jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01146.jpg  
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great report. Thanks, Jack.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Great idea but I hope that thing hanging there is not what I think it is.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post

The central conclusion is that these suckers are an expedient, movable, non-destructive solution to the problem of adding cargo rings and tiedowns. They should be of particular interest to owners of trailers with smooth inner, as well as outer surfaces (UHaul, Burro, EggCamper).

jack
Jack, I had 4 of these holding a basket that carried our bikes on the top of my trucks tonneau cover while we traveled close to 7,000 miles last summer, we had no incidents whatsoever. They are designed for people who carry large sheets of window glass and mirrors. they have a holding power of 200 lbs each
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
ooops forgot pic
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3337 (Small).JPG  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #6

Delaware
Corroboration always welcome, Bill. Considering the source and the fact that the piston-actuated type for plate glass lifting are 10X the price, it's not totally expected but certainly gratifying. Heavy 3/8 or 1/2" plate is almost always lifted into place with the lifters in sheer; I wouldn't want to place undue faith in the cam-actuated sort as they are said to be weak lifting parallel to the plane of suction. In the case of your application, resistance to wind load and vibration-induced loss of vacuum are important so it's gratifying to hear that they handle those challenges also.

jack
Old 06-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
HF is having a sale on these all weekend long. I just bought two to temporarily attach a wire closet shelf over the foot of the bed inside my camper. Which is so badly needed. I attached the shelf to it with plastic tie strapes. Hey it works. I got some of the orange large single ones also. Just call me "the Beverly Hillbillys go Camping"
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
HF is having a sale on these all weekend long. I just bought two to temporarily attach a wire closet shelf over the foot of the bed inside my camper. Which is so badly needed. I attached the shelf to it with plastic tie strapes. Hey it works. I got some of the orange large single ones also. Just call me "the Beverly Hillbillys go Camping"
Need somewhere breezy to strap the eatin'-type critters!
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
My experience has been that the usual suction cups can sometimes hold great for days or weeks and then suddenly fall off. They may need to be re-suctioned every so often so they keep holding. Of course, if you have several to hold the awning, you'll probably see if just one lets go and needs to be redone... doubtful they would all let loose at the same time.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #10

Delaware
I'm not planning on using these things to secure anything to the exterior of the Burro while underway nor do I endorse doing so but, as I said previously, it's gratifying to hear that Bill has had no problems as I might someday be behind him on the highway.

jack
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #11

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
for those of you willing to pay extra for this type of items
SeaSucker | Vacuum Mounting Systems

the cups are very very strong. i work in audo/visual equipment and some of our client attach cameras to cars with theses.
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote